Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: FJ45 cab Trail King build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2021, 01:20 PM   #1

Default FJ45 cab Trail King build

So a few weeks ago I asked around for some opinion on whether I should get an Trail King or a Vanquish VS4-10 pro. I went with the TK in the end as I wanted am FJ body. Little did I know, the day I ordered all the parts, Vanquish released the Phoenix which has a FJ ish body and a cool tranny. Oh well, I guess I still have a more scale fj body as the phoenix body looks a bit funny in proportions Vs the FJ.

Anyway, pile of parts arrived:

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
fumiyasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 PM   #2

Default Re: FJ45 cab Trail King build

There wasn't really a particular goal in mind. I just wanted a "nice" truck to play with my I do like to be more scale as I guess I am more interested in actual cars than just RC.

I haven't really got much experience with RC but have worked on 1:1 quite but, both fast cars and in me Land Rover Defender. I actually worked for Land Rover on the product team for quite a few years, so generally clued up on 4x4 drivetrains etc.

Pretty typical of more premium builds, I chose the Mamba X and Holmes puller pro 2700 std for drive train running 4s battery from my existing "fleet". Servo was going to be a savox but then I saw the Holmes shv500 on sale so gave tht a try.

The standard kit came with a 16t pinion, 32t spur/1:2. Tranny then gear down another 1:5.9 and diff another 1:3.75. This gives a final drive of 1:44.25. This means the 2700kv on 4s will be too fast for what I want but I am going to stick with this for now and just try it out first. Will likely get a 14t or 12t in the end.

Otherwise everything is the standard TK kit. I did get the aluminium diff covers and CNC tubes from SSD. Also the SSD servo horn to finish off.

Everything went together easily. My 1:1 skills definitely is transferable when it comes to not getting bolts too tight! Although I still don't enjoy doing bolts into plastic, just does have that precise feel as the surfaces mate.

I used automotive grease in the tranny and diff as I have loads of lubes in the garage for the Defender but it's looking like it was too thin and so I will probably replace those with RC gear grease soon. The research on a good substitute took too much time and so I thought it was just easier to get some team associated black grease...

Old 11-10-2021, 02:01 PM   #3

The body I used is the MST J45 body. It actually came with a plastic bed as well but I didn't like the style so just fitting the cab for now.

I originally wanted it to be "Spring Green" per the FJ40 colour code but the green I got it didn't come out right. So I sprayed it grey and black in the end as that was always going to be safe... Pretty much same colour scheme as my Defender.

The body fits well to the TK chassis. I had to move the battery tray forward and it now sits on top of the transfer case which I guess makes it a bit more front loaded.

The scale is pretty good, my calcs tells me that this is roughly a 9.7 scale based on dimensions of the FJ I got from Google. This means the 313mm wheelbase is actually rather close to the FJ45 wheelbase.

The stock MST wheel arch wasn't big enough for full articulation for the big tyres, so I cut them off and mounted some Axial jeep fenders on at a higher position. This was something I had seen on 1:1 FJ builds before and the jeep fenders look pretty spot on to the modified FJ fenders.

I didn't want to use body poles on top, so I did it side ways at the back of the cab and used some bolts to make the front pivot, worked out pretty well I think.

Went for a test drive on some tracks behind our house and it was doing great. I am going to need some lights though it's getting dark real early these days. Thinking just some simple headlight LEDs, rock lights and then a high level light bar and rear light bar

I also got it some rc4wd cruiser emblems. These are metal and laser cut. Pretty happy with the quality but the scale wasn't quite right. I think the RC4wd cruiser is bigger scale, so the Toyota looks too big on the MST body but I think it looks ok so it stays on. The side emblems are also at a different position as the raised fenders now occupies the area it's supposed to be at.

Still a few more details to do but coming a long nicely.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Just a few more pics on the axle articulation, pretty happy with it stock. Not sure if I will be doing much to it soon.

So this is pretty much where I got to with it.

Next jobs will be finishing the details on the body, making up some wheel wells/inner fenders, get some led lights set up and then looking to get some bar work fabricated for the rear end.

I've got some inspiration from a 1:1 rig but need to source some metal tubes first.

Old 11-10-2021, 02:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Very nice build.

Personally, I'd chose the Trail King. I think it's a nice solid chassis for a great price. (To be fair, I don't have any experience with the vanquish chassis's, only the wheels)

I think the "skeletal" rear end of the TK works out perfect for a cab only build like yours. The "fuel cell" looks right at home tucked behind your cab.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Very nice build.

Personally, I'd chose the Trail King. I think it's a nice solid chassis for a great price. (To be fair, I don't have any experience with the vanquish chassis's, only the wheels)

I think the "skeletal" rear end of the TK works out perfect for a cab only build like yours. The "fuel cell" looks right at home tucked behind your cab.

Thanks. Yea, I think the rail back actually looks fine and the fuel cell worked out at exactly the right place, so that was a bonus. It will probably be a while until I draw up the plans for the tubes.

If I was to nip pick, the body could go a tiny bit further back as the front axle of the FJ 1:1 is quite forward. However the servo is already right up the front grille and so this is as far back as it would go. It looks fine as a truck but just not as scale. Tbh it probably looks like a better fit than the rear thing lol..

Old 11-10-2021, 04:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumiyasu View Post
Tbh it probably looks like a better fit than the rear thing
I think it does.

It just needs some rear shock hoops, maybe some tube work, I'd be satisfied with it.

smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote

FJ45 cab Trail King build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VS4-10 Scout Half Cab for Trail King. FIT? z381472 SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 1 07-21-2021 07:29 AM
FJ45 Cab Cut From FJ40 Body - What Should I Do? Tralfaz Blecht Paint and Body 3 06-16-2019 08:16 AM
Nissan Hardbody King Cab build - D21 NissanNut 2.2 Scale Rigs 40 10-21-2006 06:02 PM
Bed for FJ45 cab??? xjnation Chit Chat 6 11-22-2005 03:11 PM