Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: SSD TK General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2021, 12:53 AM   #1

Default SSD TK General Discussion

I didn't see any general discussion or setups threads for the SSD TK, so I thought it might be good to start one.. If there is one already, sorry I didn't find it earlier. So feel free to add your setups, questions and answers on here.

Some general noob questions from me to you more experienced TK owners..

Is there a shorter and or lower battery mount? I'm using a 2200 3S Lipo and I just don't like the look of the large battery mount.

I know the SCX10 ii bumpers fit.. but what else is interchangeable with the SSD TK.. shock hoops, sliders, knuckles etc..?

Those of you running a servo winch where do you have it mounted? My guess is mounting the servo winch at the rear, then running the line to the front?

How are you guys tuning the shocks? What aftermarket springs, shock weight and pistons are you using?

Planning to get front OD gears, but what else is a good upgrade for the SSD TK?
MyFairLadyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2021, 01:56 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SSD TK General Discussion

I can tell you from my experience (I've built a scx10ii for my dad and have a TK myself) the shock hoops aren't interchangeable, the holes in the rails are different. The sliders are, inner fenders are not (without modification). The knuckles aren't interchangeable between the AR44 and the Pro44 but the axles are interchangeable between trucks.
Edit: I was mistaken. The "Trail King" axle and "Pro44" axles aren't quite the same. The Pro44 is an SSD upgrade axle for the AR44 and should be fully compatible.

Battery tray options? I don't know. I made one out of styrene between the rear fenders.

As far as my shock setup, they're stock with TRX4 stock springs on the rear, 40wt front 30wt rear. (Iirc)

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 08-11-2021 at 04:39 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My Trail king is mostly stock, in reality, I don't see much I need to change. I did add Vanquish Ud gearset to the rear axle, more as a performance upgrade than anything else

I trimmed my sliders to fit my narrow Tamiya Hilux body, and made custom Aluminum bumpers for it...

Besides those mods I put Proline g8 BFG Krawlers on Incision wheels.

She hangs with the local comp guys and performs better than anything else in my stable.

For electronics, I have a Firma esc reciever combo and HH Crawlmaster Sport 540 16t motor, and I also run 2200mah 3s batteries in the stock location, thogh I am considering removing the ginormous plate and running the battery on the opposite slider.

Flexing on a Trx4, and Scx10II... lol.

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFairLadyZ View Post
.. but what else is interchangeable with the SSD TK.. shock hoops, sliders, knuckles etc..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
...The knuckles aren't interchangeable between the AR44 and the Pro44
I run AR44 knuckles. They are literally called "HEAVY BRASS KNUCKLES FOR SCX10 II / PRO44 AXLE"

Heavy Brass Knuckles for SCX10 II / Pro44 Axle

The Pro44 is an SCX10 hop up axle, parts fit fine.

I ran mine all of once, years ago. I should dust it off and take it for a spin. Drove pretty decent IIRC.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I run AR44 knuckles. They are literally called "HEAVY BRASS KNUCKLES FOR SCX10 II / PRO44 AXLE"

Heavy Brass Knuckles for SCX10 II / Pro44 Axle

The Pro44 is an SCX10 hop up axle, parts fit fine.

I ran mine all of once, years ago. I should dust it off and take it for a spin. Drove pretty decent IIRC.

Yeah, you're right. I realized what I said wasn't quite right. I just assumed the TK axle was also called Pro44. Got them mixed up in my head.
I was thinking of the TK kit c-hubs as being incompatible with the AR44/Pro44 axle tubes. The TK c-hubs have a spline similar to the TRX axle with a set caster, the AR44/Pro44 caster is adjustable.
To clarify what I meant (on Amain at least), the SSD axle parts are labeled Trail King and Pro44. The Pro44 parts should be interchangeable with AR44 parts as they're designed to be upgrades. The Trail King axle has a different set of tubes and different c-hubs/spline.
Both sets of tubes are interchangeable with the SSD differential housing though as long as you get the matching c-hubs.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Last edited by smc-93; 08-11-2021 at 03:27 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:29 PM   #6

Thanks for the axle info.. My TK is basically stock aside from Jconcepts Landmines mounted on some Amazon wheels. Loving the TK so far with the limited time I've driven it and is why I don't feel the need to rush out and upgrade many things at once. For now I'll probably just get the OD gears, some brass wheel weights and play around with different shock oil and springs combo.

Also for those running the PROLINE Hilux body.. what sliders or bumpers are you using? The stock sliders don't align well with the Hilux body.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #7
RCC Addict

How are you guys putting the battery on a side rail? What parts do I need to get if any?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
c0bra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 11:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0bra View Post
How are you guys putting the battery on a side rail? What parts do I need to get if any?

My guess is to use velcro tape. If you're running a small Lipo pack.. velcro should be strong enough to hold it in place.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I can no longer log into my ibb account, but here is my TK rig. RC4WD Blazer SSD 1.9s with PL Hyrax.
HW AXE/3300kv combo, Reffs 444 in steering (had a Trip 5, but swapped it out to my Ryft and put the 444 in).

https://ibb.co/album/xFgJwr?sort=dat...r&seek=NS8DRpM
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I run a Powerhobby 3s on a sideplate. it slides up to the floorboard under the drivers seat and have one velcro strap on it. But the body kind of sandwiches the 3s pack great so one strap holds it well.
Old 08-15-2021, 09:04 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I can no longer log into my ibb account, but here is my TK rig. RC4WD Blazer SSD 1.9s with PL Hyrax.
HW AXE/3300kv combo, Reffs 444 in steering (had a Trip 5, but swapped it out to my Ryft and put the 444 in).

https://ibb.co/album/xFgJwr?sort=dat...r&seek=NS8DRpM

How difficult was it to fit the interior?

I’m working on a k10 conversion using the rc4wd blazer body.

Old 08-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I cheated and bought the already painted assembled body (mostly.

so the front part was already in place. I do want to go through the interior and correct it. the dash is too low, which puts everything else on the dash too low.

Once its raised it will be a lot better.

That said, I did have a builders kit blazer and a 2nd SSD I converted to Leafs.

The interior will take a bit to put together. biggest advice I can give is Do what you need to do to rais the dash about 1/3rd to 1/2 an inch. once that is done, the rest of the interior is pretty simple to build up.
Old 08-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I cheated and bought the already painted assembled body (mostly.

so the front part was already in place. I do want to go through the interior and correct it. the dash is too low, which puts everything else on the dash too low.

Once its raised it will be a lot better.

That said, I did have a builders kit blazer and a 2nd SSD I converted to Leafs.

The interior will take a bit to put together. biggest advice I can give is Do what you need to do to rais the dash about 1/3rd to 1/2 an inch. once that is done, the rest of the interior is pretty simple to build up.

Ok so the interior should fit without much trimming. I am planning on raising it once I get the body itself finished. I’m currently waiting on a cab back from shapeways.

I will make a thread for mine soon

Old 08-19-2021, 05:31 PM   #14
RCC Addict

The RC4WD Blazer is a bit smaller than other Companies Blazers so some things maybe fiddly, but if you're using the RC4WD stuff, its not bad. Most fits and it pretty much to scale, even if not mounted or positioned quite correctly. lol

SSD TK General Discussion - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SSD Axle with SSD Steering Link Binding JimmyPickles Axial SCX-10 2 02-27-2020 04:09 AM
SSD Super Sale! Up to $25 off select SSD RC Upgrade RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-22-2017 08:41 AM
General Pti Discussion (a Place To B.s. About Pti) Raped_Ape Chit Chat 7 06-07-2007 02:37 PM