Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: TK 66 Bronco

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2020, 10:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TK 66 Bronco

I just built my second SSD Trail King rig (third if you count my TK JK conversion which was built on SCX10-II chassis rails). I built this one for a 12.0" WB using the Incision link kit for the 1.9 Wraith, so now I have TK's on all three common SCX10 wheelbases. (12.3" ,12.0" and 11.4")

I had a nice Pro-Line 66 Bronco body sitting around that needed a new home. Previously, I had been running that body on a SCX10-II chassis that I had done up "OG SCX10-style" with CMS and the older 3-gear trans with the black case. It was a pretty good performer, but the depth of the Bronco interior didn't allow me to get the body as low as I wanted. Swapping that body over to the SSD Trail King chassis with the scale transmission definitely helped with clearance on the interior.

I decided to use the Hobbywing Fusion FOC ESC/Motor combo.

The Fusion setup really simplifies the wiring, but the 550-length can does cause some interference with the far right link mount - but only under full straight compression. I could probably just cut that one side of the link mount off, and it would clear just fine.

I put SSD Overdrive gears in the front axle, and Vanquish Underdrive gears in the rear. First time trying that combo. Both axles spin free, no shimming required. The effect of the OD/UD is noticeable over doing just the the front.

I had a chance to take it out for its first run this past weekend. I chose 4.19" Pro-Line Hyrax tires for more of a "street-legal wheeler" look.

I'm pleased with how the TK 66 Bronco turned out. I've got plans to do another TK-spec conversion to one of my SCX10-II's.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TK 66 Bronco

That turned out really nice I dig it.

I had a feeling the Fusion might hit the upper link mounts on the axle, you think trimming off the unused side will allow it to clear then?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

That is an awesome looking build! Questions though, firstly how do you like the HW fusion? what KV and pinion did you go with? I've been eyeing on picking one up for TK but undecided on KV/Gearing.
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
That turned out really nice I dig it.

I had a feeling the Fusion might hit the upper link mounts on the axle, you think trimming off the unused side will allow it to clear then?
I think it will. It only needs a couple more millimeters of clearance to get full travel, and like I said, it's only an issue with straight/level compression - which almost never happens in the real world. I didn't notice any issues on it's initial run. I will be keeping an eye on it on subsequent runs and deciding from there whether I'll cut that unused side off.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

This is really cool. the bronco body looks right at home

I see a sport in the picture with you, how would you say it compares to it? I know its not too fair since its solid axle vs portals.

The reason i ask is because i want to get a second rig that is a kit, and i like how simple the chassis is.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doomp View Post
That is an awesome looking build! Questions though, firstly how do you like the HW fusion? what KV and pinion did you go with? I've been eyeing on picking one up for TK but undecided on KV/Gearing.
I went with the 1800KV version. The Trail King trans comes with a 16T pinion and 32T Sput (48P). The gear ratio of the TK trans with that pinion/spur is 11.8:1. With OD up front and UD in the rear you end up with right about 20% overdrive, and a FDR of around 44:1. It's slow, but not overly slow, and it turns great and claws pretty hard uphill.

I have several AXE 540 combos in other rigs, including a 1800KV setup that I was originally going to use in this rig, but the massive sensor wire and other motor wires were causing issues with the interior on the Bronco body. I like the way the AXE/Fusion FOC drives for my smaller/lighter scale rigs which aren't so performance-oriented. I have another 1800KV Fusion combo in a 10" WB Pro-Line Sumo-bodied scaler. It's well-suited to slow crawling. I don't drive these rigs like a U4 or Rock Bouncer. I think 1800KV is plenty of power for a small rig like that.
Old 11-19-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Very nice looking rig.
Uncle Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
I went with the 1800KV version. The Trail King trans comes with a 16T pinion and 32T Sput (48P). The gear ratio of the TK trans with that pinion/spur is 11.8:1. With OD up front and UD in the rear you end up with right about 20% overdrive, and a FDR of around 44:1. It's slow, but not overly slow, and it turns great and claws pretty hard uphill.

I have several AXE 540 combos in other rigs, including a 1800KV setup that I was originally going to use in this rig, but the massive sensor wire and other motor wires were causing issues with the interior on the Bronco body. I like the way the AXE/Fusion FOC drives for my smaller/lighter scale rigs which aren't so performance-oriented. I have another 1800KV Fusion combo in a 10" WB Pro-Line Sumo-bodied scaler. It's well-suited to slow crawling. I don't drive these rigs like a U4 or Rock Bouncer. I think 1800KV is plenty of power for a small rig like that.

Thank you, thats what i needed to know. I built my TK with a br-xl and 30t torque master but i swapped in a HH BLE and 2800KV trailmaster, and wasnt super thrilled with the results and was on the fence of putting the br-xl back in or going a different route ie' HW fusion system. Thanks!
Doomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice work! Where are you crawling in your pictures?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
This is really cool. the bronco body looks right at home

I see a sport in the picture with you, how would you say it compares to it? I know its not too fair since its solid axle vs portals.

The reason i ask is because i want to get a second rig that is a kit, and i like how simple the chassis is.
Thanks!

That's my TRX-4 Sport. Super fun kit to build. I like it a lot. It's got some brass up front (SSD portal covers, STRC C-Hubs & Knuckles) so it's quite a bit heavier than the SCX10-II / SSD TK rigs I have. I don't think of it as portals versus straight axles. I like variety, and having rigs with both types of axles just makes it more interesting for me. I'm a little bit of an oddball in that I usually run 4.19's on my TRX-4 sport. (Those are 4.30" Pro-Line TSL Swampers in the picture - which I only put on there because I was letting a new guy run that rig and I wanted him to have an easier time of it) I prefer the look of the Class 1 tires on that rig, and it makes it little more challenging even with the portals.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:05 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice work! Where are you crawling in your pictures?
A local spot up here in Ventura County - we just call it Flanagan.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A local spot up here in Ventura County - we just call it Flanagan.
Ah ok, I've heard of it. Was hoping it was a little closer to OC.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Ah ok, I've heard of it. Was hoping it was a little closer to OC.
Come on up. I think you'll like it.

I grew up in the OC in the 70's/80's. When my family would go to the beach, it was always CDM or Newport. I literally used to "crawl" around the CDM rocks as a kid. I need to make the drive back down there and experience it with again with my RC's.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #14

What rear bumper did you use? I also have that body on a Enduro but most bumpers seem too wide for that body.
Toothless9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless9 View Post
What rear bumper did you use? I also have that body on a Enduro but most bumpers seem too wide for that body.
That's a SSD RC SCX10 Rock Shield Narrow Rear Bumper. It's a little bit narrower than the back of the Bronco body, but it tucks in nicely.

I just changed over to a new set of wheels and tires. SSD D Holes with silver beadlock rings and SS scale hardware with RC4WD Mickey Thompson Baja Pro X tires (1.7" X 4.19"). They stretched right onto the 1.9" wheels very easily. I think it looks a lot more aggressive now.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:53 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Those tires are crazy looking. Very chunky!
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:51 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Those tires are crazy looking. Very chunky!
I know. Even crazier - they are replicas of a real 1:1 DOT-approved Mickey Thompson tire. I'm sure I'll eventually see someone cruising down the freeway sporting a set of those on their mall crawler.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:30 PM   #18

Thanks Boldfin for the bumper info. Took awhile to find one, seems it is very popular. Not sure if it will be a direct fit so I look forward to making it work.
Toothless9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:45 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I know. Even crazier - they are replicas of a real 1:1 DOT-approved Mickey Thompson tire. I'm sure I'll eventually see someone cruising down the freeway sporting a set of those on their mall crawler.
Jeez, DOT approved??

I thought the Nitto Trail Grapplers had an aggressive sidewall! These look very mean!
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:27 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
They make them dot approved now? Only seen the off road only ones. Would be nice to see them in dot rubber. Now I must google this.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote

TK 66 Bronco - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Capra+Bronco Body= Bronco Truggy FoxHatfield Axial Capra 7 01-27-2020 06:16 AM