Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Warning Regarding Steering Angle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2020, 03:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Warning Regarding Steering Angle

Just wanted to warn the world about something silly that I learned after building my Trail King. After installing the electronics and being wowed about how much steering was present, I got stupid and cranked my end point adjustment (EPA) to the max level. Put it on the floor, turned the steering to full lock and gave a gentle pull to the throttle. It hesitated for a moment, drove forward about 5mm and then my brand new Hobbywing 1080 gave the magic smoke and died the death. I should have known better. Hopefully, someone else can learn from my stupidity.

The Trail King has gobs of steering, but maybe one should take a conservative approach towards utilizing it.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2020, 03:51 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Warning Regarding Steering Angle

Yeah that sucks, I have no issues what so ever with mine been a great kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PERCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Steering angle wouldn't cause that
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Steering angle wouldn't cause that
I was thinking the same thing, broken cvd maybe but not a burn't esc. I could be wrong but don't see how it's possible.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:51 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I agree, I could scarcely believe it myself when the smoke shot out and a light started blinking on the ESC. I've been running 1080s for years in my other rigs and this is the first time one has ever failed on me. I removed it and installed an Axial AE5 that I had laying around and now the Trail King is back in commission. It's a bit noteworthy that before the catastrophic failure, it was the least smooth 1080 I've ever encountered. I'll have to do a bit of research about what sort of things people encountered when they were using bogus 1080s. I doubt that's the case here, but it does all seem strange. I want to accept full accountability for so blindly maxing out the EPA without considering what would happen if things went wrong.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I've maxed out EPAs on several rigs with big time steering angle using different esc's including 1080s and have never smoked one, I've broken cvd's and bound things up and made some horrible noises though.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Perhaps your servo draw at full lock was too great for the 3 amp bec of the hw1080. What servo?

If you put the truck on the ground when it isn’t on, can you push it by hand while the wheels are turned fully?
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Perhaps your servo draw at full lock was too great for the 3 amp bec of the hw1080. What servo?

If you put the truck on the ground when it isn’t on, can you push it by hand while the wheels are turned fully?
Not hardly what one would consider a powerful servo: Savox SC-0251MG. After I put the AE5 in it, I dialed the EPA back to normal and took it for a quick spin in the garden. Everything seems fine in terms of driveshafts and drivetrain. I'm still trying to firm up what body and tires I want to run so I haven't taken it out for a longer drive. I just purchased a Proline Metric body yesterday afternoon so that's probably what I'll top it with. Tire wise, I will either run the 4.7" Axial K02s or the 4.35" Proline K02s.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:41 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well that servo is above what the bec is rated to handle so definitely could be the problem.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

I think that has a max draw of 5.5 amps which at full lock may be enough to smoke the esc with the 3 amp internal bec.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Aha I've learned something new, didn't think of it that way.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
Old 01-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think that has a max draw of 5.5 amps which at full lock may be enough to smoke the esc with the 3 amp internal bec.
Hmm, I guess I should start thinking about this whenever I'm planning a build. I've gotten complacent in that muscle memory kicks in whenever I'm in the hobby shop or online shopping and I just grab/click on the Hobbywing 1080.

I should probably start a different thread, but when I started to mockup my Proline Metric body I see that the battery tray is going to mean a deeper cut in the cab portion of the body. Comparatively when I drop the same body down onto my Element Enduro it looks like the only thing I need to alter is the type/location of the front body mounts - no crazy cuts. I have a Proline 1991 4Runner and a Proline JL Rubicon body in the consideration for the Trail King. It looks like the new Rubicon JL is short enough that I'd have to do some trickery to compensate for how far out front the chassis rails stick. I'm not going to run a winch so I don't need bumper space for that. Sadly I have a history of hacking bodies and then quickly regretting it once I decide on a different size tire.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

this pretty much discribes my experiances with the hobbywing 1080 but i wounder if you could run a exturnal bec and just leave the red wire hooked up if it would work like that ive had several escs burn out the inturnal bec and work with a exturnal bec
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 03:55 AM   #14
RCC Addict

The new Reedy Sc480x esc is an equivalent esc to the HW1080 but has 5amp bec. I have a couple of the these little esc's and they perform really well. You can get one with a program card for less than $50.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:11 PM   #15

I also run the 1080, but I only run 2s. This lets me use the bec @ 6v for led's, and I just hardwire a servo plug on the esc input wires to run direct battery to the servo. Just servo signal wire to the receiver. Works great for me. You can kill a battery if you don't unplug this setup when you're done.
CarveyHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning Regarding Steering Angle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do I get more steering angle? Paul97 Axial SCX10 II 9 06-24-2019 10:13 AM
Better steering angle out of a TH? Jim85IROC Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 02-07-2018 08:45 PM
Steering angle BOB8789 Axial SCX-10 6 01-13-2012 10:55 PM
Steering Angle HiloDB1 Kyosho Crawlers 1 11-26-2008 11:05 AM
Steering angle NeoSlayer888 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 3 10-29-2005 07:21 PM