Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Jim does a SSD Ford F100.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jim does a SSD Ford F100.

I've been hoping Axial would release a kit version of their Ford F100 SCX10 II trail truck Axial Racing - SCX10 II 1955 Ford 1/10th 4wd RTR (Green) but as this doesn't seem to be in the cards, decided to order the unpainted body set and make my own.

Santa was very generous and come Dec 25th there was a SSD Trail King kit under the tree! As the TK is SCX10 II "compatible" there was only one issue mounting the F100 body (more on this below).

As I live in an apartment, spray painting is out of the question, so I brushed on the following colors:

One of the things I like about this body is the great scale details on the front grill and back cage. The sides however were lacking and I didn't want to apply the door sticker handles as I didn't think they did the rig justice. To add some surface detail to the side, I installed rubber mirrors from Loops Model https://www.rc4x4-shop.com/ and left over door handles from my UMG10 build.

The battery tray was interfering with the body in its stock location, but mounting it with the rear mounting holes in the front hole location on the cross brace solved the problem. To support the now floating front of the battery tray, I glued some appropriately sized foam rubber underneath the battery tray which now rests comfortably on the transmission tunnel. Not the most elegant solution, but I think it works.

To give it some contrast, I mixed up some light gray paint for the rear bed panels. Tires are the Axial MT45 from the UMG10 mounted on no-name steel beadlocks. Not the best, but OK for now.

The rig did well on its first outing on the Markham Park crawler course.

But the body's large front and rear overhangs limit approach and departure angles rather severely. See comparison to my UMG10.

Still, I have other rigs for hard core crawling and I think this one came out well.

Let me know what you guys think?
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2021, 02:14 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Jim does a SSD Ford F100.

Hi,

These colors fit so well on this body, I love it like this
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 06:41 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I’m gonna have to drive across to Markham, that’s a sweet rigw

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #4
Slow is the new Fast

Nice job Jim! Have to agree, that is a really nice body set. Definitely different in the landscape of current offerings. It's cool to see it done up.
How do you like the chassis?
smog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Nice job Jim! Have to agree, that is a really nice body set. Definitely different in the landscape of current offerings. It's cool to see it done up.
How do you like the chassis?
Thanks for the kind words. The chassis went together well, parts fit and tolerances definitely a cut above the usual offerings. Tho technically more expensive than Axial's Raw Builder's kit, once you factor in all the included upgrades (steel drive shafts, aluminum C-hubs, aluminum knuckles, stainless steel links, etc) it's actually a bargain. The plastics appear also to be a higher grade than Axial's SCX10 II's plastics. The included scale fuel cell and small block Chevy engine are nice bonuses too, even if I didn't use them on this build.

My only reservation, is that the instructions could be more detailed - not an issue if you have a couple of kits under your belt, but a newbie might struggle a little. All in all, 5 star rating!!
Old 01-16-2021, 09:04 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I’m gonna have to drive across to Markham, that’s a sweet rigw
Thanks Mike, if you haven't been to Markham in a while, it's def worth the trip. The South Florida Crawlers group has made a lot of upgrades to the course in the last few months. They even held a "run what u brung" style comp last month that had 40 participants, check the pics and videos on FB https://www.facebook.com/SFLRCC/
Old 01-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFox View Post
Hi,

These colors fit so well on this body, I love it like this
Thanks, I think Axial might sell more of these rigs, if they went with a different color scheme for the RTRs.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Thanks Mike, if you haven't been to Markham in a while, it's def worth the trip. The South Florida Crawlers group has made a lot of upgrades to the course in the last few months. They even held a "run what u brung" style comp last month that had 40 participants, check the pics and videos on FB https://www.facebook.com/SFLRCC/

I was a regular until covid19 started closing the place, as I stopped FB I’ve been out of touch.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I was a regular until covid19 started closing the place, as I stopped FB I’ve been out of touch.
Hang up and Drive
I get that. FB does tend to bring out the worst in some folks and I rarely post myself, but some organizations like our crawler club rely on it almost exclusively to get the word out. As a matter of fact, the club is calling for volunteers to show up tmrw morning for clean-up and repair on the course.

Last edited by JimInMiami; 01-16-2021 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Default Jim does a SSD Ford F100.

Thanks for that update. I might drive across tomorrow.
Great group of folks.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-16-2021, 03:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

How is that paint holding up - looks great. And I like the idea of brushing it on. Did it bond to the lexan or is it getting brittle and chip after a while?
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxman View Post
How is that paint holding up - looks great. And I like the idea of brushing it on. Did it bond to the lexan or is it getting brittle and chip after a while?
This paint job is very recent, but I've been doing this for a while with great results. Members discussed this in one of my other threads: Jim's Enduro Power Wagon

Bottom line, so-called RC paints are nothing but repackaged Acrylic paint. And acrylics are totally compatible with RC Lexan bodies. By sourcing your paint at the craft store you save a ton of money and can buy large quantities for little $$ which allows for custom mixed colors. Hope this helps.
Old 01-16-2021, 06:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
This paint job is very recent, but I've been doing this for a while with great results. Members discussed this in one of my other threads: Jim's Enduro Power Wagon

Bottom line, so-called RC paints are nothing but repackaged Acrylic paint. And acrylics are totally compatible with RC Lexan bodies. By sourcing your paint at the craft store you save a ton of money and can buy large quantities for little $$ which allows for custom mixed colors. Hope this helps.

Quite true, most airbases are made by Createx( Auto Air, Wicked and Parma)
It’s always in the prep

Hang up and Drive

Jim does a SSD Ford F100. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
55 Ford F100 mgputer Scale Videos! 0 12-16-2019 05:50 PM
Ford F100 '56 Madman740 1.9 Scale Rigs 12 04-03-2016 07:53 AM
59 ford f100 Silverado1 Scale Videos! 1 05-17-2015 12:56 PM
59 ford f100 Silverado1 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 04-19-2015 08:16 PM
59 ford f100 Silverado1 1.9 Scale Rigs 7 03-13-2015 07:24 PM