RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/ssd-trail-king-pro-scale-chassis-builder-kit/)
-   -   Gearing? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/ssd-trail-king-pro-scale-chassis-builder-kit/623114-gearing.html)

ScaleLifeNewbie 01-23-2021 02:57 PM

Gearing?

So I am trying to plan out and order everything for my next build. I seen the SSD doesn’t come with Spur/pinion. What gearing are you guys running? Plan on using a 12T Crawlmaster.

ScaleLifeNewbie 01-23-2021 02:59 PM

Gearing?

Want to stay Crawlmaster motor, but if a different turn rating is better let me know.

Phildirt 01-23-2021 05:03 PM

Re: Gearing?

Where did you read that it doesn’t have a spur gear? Dug this out of another thread:

The TK transmission is 11.8:1 with the stock 32/16 pinion/spur ratio.

Check out the builders kit instructions on SSDs site. Looks like it is a complete tranny to me. Could be wrong.

If you are planning on building a TK you really should start by checking out other builds in the forum. I’ve found it is easier to read than wait for people to answer something like this. Motor speed is so subjective (terrain, tire size, driving style, vehicle weight). Personally I think 12t is fast for a crawler but it depends on the motor. My 27t crawlmaster in the OG10 is perfect.

Good examples- in the same forum you posted this question - catalogued them here for you free of charge lol:

started off with a HH Crawlmaster 540 13T on 3S and a 16T pinion, that was a bit too fast for my taste and lacked torque and finesse. I pulled that out and swapped in a HH Torquemaster 45T with a 12T pinion (also on 3S) and this provided a lot more torque and slowed the truck down a lot maybe a tiny but too much.

just ran my TK with a HH Crawlmaster 550 12T and I think its a great fit, I paired it with a 11T pinion and the drag break is still strong enough to hold my heavy truck (8 lb 4oz). that gearing is close to walking speed and more for rocks than terrain requiring wheelspeed.

For electronics I went with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 16T motor, Hobbywing 1080 ESC, and ProTek 370TBL Servo.

In my TK i run a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL esc paired with a HH torquemaster expert 30T on 3S, stock gearing will creep slower than any of my other rigs and never bogs down and has good wheel speed when needed

MaX-D 01-23-2021 05:26 PM

I second the Crawlmaster 550 12T. I put it in my Wroncho which is 7lbs 11oz on 3s and it's fantastic for crawling. Mine runs about the same speed as Phildirt's, 56/10 gearing.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

ScaleLifeNewbie 01-23-2021 05:59 PM

Hm, I guess a few guys from Amain support don’t know what they are talking about lol. Amain website doesn’t say anything about a Spur or Pinion either.

Phildirt 01-23-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie (Post 6064719)
Hm, I guess a few guys from Amain support don’t know what they are talking about lol. Amain website doesn’t say anything about a Spur or Pinion either.

They are the experts, I just Google and read this forum lol. But didn’t see spur gear listed in anyone’s build sheets in here. That tranny is a little different than your 10ii...definitely worth a peek at the builder manual.

Steve g 01-23-2021 06:05 PM

Nice to see you getting different brand kits. Variety is the spice of life.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

computernut 01-24-2021 01:43 PM

I'm just in the midst of putting a TK together, just need to do the electronics and body right now. The kit comes with a 16T pinion. I installed a Holmes Crawlmaster 550 12T but I find it hits the lower link mounts, it only seems to restrict full compression slightly but I decided to order a Crawlmaster 540 16T which is in the mail now. Once I get everything running I'll tweak the pinion if necessary depending on speed and heat.

meatmonkey 01-28-2021 06:25 PM

I tried fitting a 550 in my Trail King and wasn't accepting of the loss in suspension travel.

If you can find one a 16t 5 slot would be my preference. Really though, even a 3 slot from 27-35 turn is a good match for the truck with stock gearing.

ScaleLifeNewbie 01-28-2021 07:28 PM

Gearing?

Thank you everyone for the tips and heads up on the motor can size. When I finally order the TK, I will pick up a 540 can. Hopefully more stuff is in stock by then. I am still deciding on if I want to go hardbody or not. Never had a hardbody and honestly just want one to be able to build it and to show off that motor lol. I think a hardbody would be cool, but not sure how much it’ll impact performance. Those of you that have had a hardbody, does it really impact performance as much as some lexan die hards say?

Phildirt 01-28-2021 07:34 PM

It’s a scaler. Wouldn’t overthink the performance part. Not like you’re talking about slapping a Mojave body with full interior on a comp rig and hoping it can hang. All of the rigs/combos/setups you are talking about are for casual wheeling...go with the one that looks how you want and you’ll have to dump the least aftermarket support into to keep it on the trail.

ScaleLifeNewbie 01-28-2021 07:39 PM

Gearing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phildirt (Post 6065764)
It’s a scaler. Wouldn’t overthink the performance part. Not like you’re talking about slapping a Mojave body with full interior on a comp rig and hoping it can hang. All of the rigs/combos/setups you are talking about are for casual wheeling...go with the one that looks how you want and you’ll have to dump the least aftermarket support into to keep it on the trail.

This is true. I don’t know why I do this sometimes lmao.

As far as the Trailwalker thing, I have decided to just check it off the list. I feel like if I’m buying a new rig, may as well go with a chassis that’ll preform and look better. I wanted the Enduro because it is in my current budget, but why not spend the extra money to get a better chassis and save more in the long run?

I know I know, you’ve said this a few times, but it just now got through my hard head lol.