Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: Toyota #8 of 11, Lexan LC70 Trail King build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2022, 07:26 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Toyota #8 of 11, Lexan LC70 Trail King build

Continuing on with my lexan Toyota crawler journey, the previous number of Toyota builds I had in mind was 10, but I recently sparked a nice one to make #11. Well here's 8, a Team C LC70. Mind you, 6 & 7 aren't finished yet (Jesus). Hell, all 3 bodies could get painted at the same time. But this build is gonna be a tame, factory looking pickup with Toyota-ish looking Boom Racing steelies.

One thing about this body, it has zero appeal against the detail of the hard body version (the molded bed rack shouldn't be molded to the cab), but I told myself I would do 10 lexans. I know once I get it painted and detailed, I'll love it a lot more. I'm thinking a tan or light blue.

Few pics of the completed kit along with the wheels on 4.19 Patagonias. Since this kit is like a Stage 2 of a 10.2 with scale stuff, it's gonna remain practically stock besides doing a Xtraspeed cantilever rear leaving the bed untouched and whatever fender trimming is needed to avoid rubbing. I almost forgot I installed aluminum 10.2 shock towers since I didn't use these in my RC4WD Tacoma build (#5).

Showing how I ran my wiring. I'd like to think where I've placed the receiver and ESC, makes up for the offset driveshaft in corner balancing. Sorry for the blurry pics.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 03-07-2022 at 07:29 AM.
Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2022, 05:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Toyota #8 of 11, Lexan LC70 Trail King build

Love the TK Build. Should look great with the body.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 02:26 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Long overdue update but it's little progress while spending a lot of time doing it.

Body painted PS-49, Sky Blue Anodized Aluminum. Was thinking of doing a tan, but this blue kinda matches the shocks. Anyway, sprayed it once, turned out ok besides between the sides of the bed since paint couldn't get in there. Bought another can, focused on spraying between the bed panels by wearing a glove on my left hand and spreading the area for paint. Still didn't get it all covered so I bought another can ($15 each damn)! I masked the outside cab area besides the headache rack, and masked from the middle line of the bed downward. Used the last can to spray the outside of the bed and it came out great. Not as glossy but it got the job done.

Last thing I did was spray tint the windows. Darker than I wanted since upon initial spray, some blobs came out so was forced to spray heavy. Whatever.

Focusing this build on 1.55's and these Boom Racing TE37 style wheels don't look too bad with the Falken Wildpeaks but not sure if these will be final. So I have some RC4WD mesh wheels (old school Enkei mesh style) and Pitbull Rock Beasts on the way.

So I'll probably install these cantilevers later today and mount the body. As most of my other builds are, I'm gonna try to mount this body at the lowest position where the suspension can fully articulate without rubbing with the Rock Beasts on. If it can sit where it's a little higher than a stock height 70 series pickup, that would be awesome.

Old 05-21-2022, 10:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I feel like this thing needs more done to it like the headache rack detail or just an overhaul on the paint by painting the exterior. Other than the cons, I still love it. The headlight decals could be a better visual sample but I made the best of them by chroming the shape of the 1:1 lenses. Also did my best to replicate the front end of an actual FJ70 pickup. Instead of the chrome center on the bumper, I left it blue.

I wish I could make this thing sit lower but with the cantilever setup there's just not a desired method to achieve the ride height and stiffness. I have the stock Xtraspeed springs still installed and preloaded them to the max. I think I put 3000k cst oil in em. The front springs were swapped out to red Axial springs which are a bit softer than the rear and a lot softer than the stock TK springs. As for the rear body mounting, I avoided making holes in the bed and decided to put them in the tailgate instead.

As you can see, I went with RC4WD mesh wheels (Cherokee-ish) and Pitbull Rock Beasts. Just looking at these pictures as I upload them, I realized I should back the paint with a gunmetal or black. Because of these 1.55s and Pitbulls, this rig would make a fun comparison with my RC4WD Tacoma CF rail 10.2 droop build on AR45s and also same size Pitbull tires. Both running 1300mah batteries, both no brass, both fairly lightweight, both Micro Xs and Team Brood Riot outrunners but Tacoma has Riot SS (small) while this has Riot S (medium size).

Check out the cracked taillight portion of the body. As this gets crawl time in, if that piece ends up breaking off or near it I'll do a drift stitch with zip ties.

As far as crawling, I need more time with it but it seems drive really well and turns sharp both ways. Out of all of my crawlers, I think this body is my least favorite just because of what a pain it has been to deal with. I'm a big fan of these trucks overseas and wished we got them here in the states, it's just my experience with this specific lexan body in combination with the chosen color. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting rid of the body or anything like that as all of the builds are favorites of mine. If I just had to choose a least favorite, it's this one.

Running video to come later, maybe even aforementioned comparison video to knock out 2 truck videos in 1.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

loooks as good as you can make it, i like the color choice ... they probably molded the body straight from the hardbody.... good option to do some 3d printing and help out the scale aspect. The Trail King is a very well built rig and it is very capable definitely one of my favorites.
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 01:56 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Out of the numerous rigs I've built, I thought I'd never redo a body. Version 2 is promising. Link to the new build, now #12 of the Toyota fleet:

#12 LC70 Redux, Rock Pirates Interceptor build!

Poor TK, bodyless...

Don't worry folks, it's gonna get special treatment with a Proline 2nd gen Tacoma body. I have the body and paint already, just focused on the LC70 Redux. In due time...
Old 02-03-2023, 05:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Nice man love the Lexan yotas!
surfishjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Toyota #8 of 11, Lexan LC70 Trail King build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bananaclip’s King of the Trail LC70 Bananaclip SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 48 02-12-2022 09:16 PM
HumboldtEF's LC70 SSD Trail King HumboldtEF SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit 200 01-24-2022 09:04 PM
BRX01 Toyota LC70 and SCX10 ii Range Rover hit the trail JoeConti Videos! 0 01-04-2020 02:47 PM
My SCX10 Toyota LC70 build. Norton General Scale Talk 1 08-26-2017 05:46 PM