Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: 3D Printed Engine Parts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3D Printed Engine Parts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleblancjr View Post
Your work is looking nice!
Thanks. Its a slow learning process, and now that I'm back to work, it's going to be a bit slower. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
To me it actually looks like its the lack of a carburetor puts the air cleaner a bit lower making the distributor look too high. Maybe it just needs a carb or a simple spacer to raise up the air cleaner?
The intake has a raised area that would essentially be the carb height, just a square block though.
I think I agree with Ots. The size of the distributor is a bit large. maybe more 1/8th where the engine is more 1/10th to my old eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Well, I've put my time in working on small blocks and I would say the proportion in the pic is pretty much correct. Just the raw size of the distributor with respect to the engine is too big. I'm working on a solution and I'll post a pic of mine clustered with some modified RC4WD parts pretty soon.

But hey, if you like big distributor caps then the SSD one is the way to go! Lol!

Ya, the more I see it the more I agree with you on the distributor being a bit large.

Looking forward to your solution.

There are a few 3d engines on Thingiverse and at least one had a distributor with it. The oil filter and other parts are close, but maybe a smidge small, so maybe that distributor would be a fit with a little modding."

Will try to get some time this week to do more details and get this one close enough for Government Work. lol
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2022, 11:10 AM   #22
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Name:  D-caps.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  49.8 KB

Two 1/10 scale small block D-caps from two different manufacturers. The good news is we have choices!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 06:42 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Attachment 399322

Two 1/10 scale small block D-caps from two different manufacturers. The good news is we have choices!
Sweet. I'll print up one of the distributors I have in the thingiverse engine. Looks like it will be a bit smaller than the SSD version.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:38 PM   #24
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Name:  SB.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  72.7 KB

I'm no scale guy but this is a bit more of what I had in mind for my TK SB.
Old 03-10-2022, 05:38 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Attachment 399483

I'm no scale guy but this is a bit more of what I had in mind for my TK SB.

that does look better for sure. what are you using for plug wires?

Fan 3d printed?
Old 03-10-2022, 05:53 PM   #26
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Fan is 3D printed - and not too fancy as I'm new at the 3D printing stuff.

Plug wires are 8 - 8.5 mm in diameter which roughly scales down to .030" to .035". This is 28 gauge wire which, with insulation, comes out in that diameter range. I think it looks a bit more realistic than the tubing RC4WD supplies with their distributor cap - that looks more like heater hose.

This will sit in my TK with a '46 Dodge body with the hood sides removed so it can be seen.
Old 03-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Fan is 3D printed - and not too fancy as I'm new at the 3D printing stuff.

Plug wires are 8 - 8.5 mm in diameter which roughly scales down to .030" to .035". This is 28 gauge wire which, with insulation, comes out in that diameter range. I think it looks a bit more realistic than the tubing RC4WD supplies with their distributor cap - that looks more like heater hose.

This will sit in my TK with a '46 Dodge body with the hood sides removed so it can be seen.
ya I agree on rc4wd hose.
These colored large paperclips look pretty good just a bit rigid obviously.

I probably have some small ga wire around here I could use. Would be easier then bending these clips up, and it does look more scale/realistic as well.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:05 AM   #28

hey all, i have been working on the kit engine. for the distributor i dremeled the lip that presses into the cap and it fits very snug inside the cap and brought it down to a good height. I designed a valve cover in tinkercad to mimick a 572 chev big block. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5318631
grimreaperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 03:59 PM   #29
Ots
Quarry Creeper

It might not matter to you but with those BB valve covers the exhaust port pattern still gives it away as a SB. Not a big deal though.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:53 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaperMN View Post
hey all, i have been working on the kit engine. for the distributor i dremeled the lip that presses into the cap and it fits very snug inside the cap and brought it down to a good height. I designed a valve cover in tinkercad to mimick a 572 chev big block. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5318631
Nice. Still got to get back to the water pump and other bits myself. Now that Im back to work time is even thinner than it was.
Plan to spend some time this weekend on it and get to other bits.

Nice work on the Valve cover. You should make it with the 572 on the cover, and do a 496 version as well. or make those as an add-on plate that can be glued on if wanted.
Old 03-19-2022, 06:37 AM   #31

thank you, yea i know the heads have the lumps that looks like "fuelie" heads and other SB markings but i wanted to 3d print as many things i can to change it up. I added fuel rails because the intake looks like a holley efi intake and blocked off the heater core outlets. I even stuck with the 18436572 firing order lol.

grimreaperMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 09:47 PM   #32
RCC Addict

one of the water pump test prints on the Ryft V8 (yellow One).
Need to get back into the software and finish it up, not that much left to do as the current version is beyond this one a bit.

3D Printed Engine Parts? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What RC parts have you 3D Printed???? vwdaveb Tools, and Procedures 353 02-08-2023 02:49 PM
New 3D Printed Engine Parts from Element B-MOW71 Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 15 06-02-2020 09:17 AM
3D Printed Parts monkeyracing Tamiya XC/CC01 5 05-29-2015 10:20 AM