Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > SSD Trail King - Pro Scale Chassis Builder Kit

Notices

Thread: #8 Trail King x 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default #8 Trail King x 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Pro

What once had the LC70 body, my TK chassis was neglected as I continued onto other builds (#13 is next in line). Keeping things short, the body will be painted something as close to Speedway Blue from the X-Runner. SSD Toycoma wheels should make this Tacoma look right.

As far as the type of build this will be, I'd like to keep this thing light (besides 4-5k mah lipo) and on the stock TK side of things, as this will be mostly a trail truck/daily driver appeal with just a lift and tires. Not only should I be pleased with the outcome, I can also save a bit of money for my future builds I have lined up. And it'll be another rig complete, leaving me only the #11 Slash build left on the workbench to get hustling on it.

I'm not set on electronics but I've got 3 options in mind. I'm leaning towards brushed with the new HW G2 1080 ESC and a HH motor or a Yeah Racing Hackmoto 12T from my #9 LC80 TRX4 (as it will receive a new setup), but I also have a HW Fusion SE 1800kv I can use. Servo currently in has been working fine, an inexpensive Fan Model 38kg so that will stay. Onto the rest of the pictures.

Here's the body all cut out and resting on the rock sliders.

Unmodified flares look nice, but the arches are way too small for a 4.19 tire . I trimmed them to half their size, and it seems not only more fitting scale wise but they turned out great for clearance.

Swapped the stock plastic shock towers back on in front and back. Cantilevers were unnecessary for this body.

With the rear shock towers on, the body actually rests on these evenly with the rock sliders. While I usually make the decision from this point to mount the body in this position, it doesn't hurt much if the body is a few MM's higher when the body posts are in. And also I didn't feel like modifying 2 body posts lol.

And here's the body mounted and masked, ready for paint!

Goro Majima is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2023, 08:13 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: #8 Trail King x 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Pro

I like your direction with the build, reminds me of my 1:1

smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 08:43 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Love it!
Old 02-14-2023, 10:06 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Body is pretty much all painted properly and detailed out, but I'll get proper pics of that on later today outside. In the meanwhile, I decided on Hobbywing's Fusion SE 1800kv and a 16T pinion.

I didn't realize a 550 size can interferes with the upper link mounts on the axle, so I made a few cuts. Complete got rid of the right side mount since it'll never be used, and trimmed the middle mount.

With the shocks nearly fully depressed, it's able to go much lower until it hits the rod end. Totally fine with that.

But I also had to lengthen the upper 3rd link to pitch the axle forward so minimal shaving could be done to that middle link mount without sacrificing it's strength.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Aaand here's some pics. It's got a 2200mah lipo in it so it's showing it's ride height. Very satisfied with it! I do want to make some styrene inner fenders for it, and 50/50 on interior. If I do interior, it'll be way in the future.

Also, not sure if the pictures are quality enough to show the metallic. Can't remember if I mentioned the paint I used, but I did a first coat of Tamiya metallic blue, then the rest in Tamiya brilliant blue.

Last edited by Goro Majima; 02-14-2023 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2023, 10:40 PM   #6
RCC Addict

That tire looks great under that body and the all black on blue along with those black wheels ( and style of the wheel) make that whole package look perfect. Nice stance too.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 06:17 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Great looking 2nd Gen smog! Nice stance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Aaand here's some pics. It's got a 2200mah lipo in it so it's showing it's ride height. Very satisfied with it! I do want to make some styrene inner fenders for it, and 50/50 on interior. If I do interior, it'll be way in the future.
Knocked another Toyota build out of the park!! Nice build! Excellent job on the body and paint choice! I really like how the body fits. I've been thinking about picking one up, but thought that it wouldn't be wide enough. Looks perfect!

Looking forward to seeing it with some inner fenders. It definitely needs them!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
That tire looks great under that body and the all black on blue along with those black wheels ( and style of the wheel) make that whole package look perfect. Nice stance too.
I appreciate it. I think it all flows well too. And I forgot to take some articulation pictures, but the rear barely tucks under the arches while the front slightly rubs under full compression. Turning clearance is spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Great looking 2nd Gen smog! Nice stance!

Knocked another Toyota build out of the park!! Nice build! Excellent job on the body and paint choice! I really like how the body fits. I've been thinking about picking one up, but thought that it wouldn't be wide enough. Looks perfect!

Looking forward to seeing it with some inner fenders. It definitely needs them!
As always Brian thanks. SSD kit, SSD wheels, figure this body was the way to go for it. I almost went with the Pro-Line Metric body but that's yet to be decided. But I'm counting this build as complete so I'm only one more project away from starting the new ones!
Old 02-17-2023, 02:31 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

First go at styrene inner fenders/fender liners! Ended up finding out the few sheets I have are actually 0.50 ABS, but the final pieces will be 0.20 styrene.

Started with taking off a frame rail and left front shock tower for tracing.

The cut portion on the bottom is where the slider tray area is.

Ran out of room for the front curved part (left edge of sheet in first pic). Completed the piece still and used it to trace over the 2nd sheet to then start scoring lines and folding.

Cut the tower area out and checked how it fit.

All folded together and used aluminum tape to hold everything in place. Some scores were too deep so I used more tape to aid them staying intact. At this point, a lot of marking/trimming was done in attempts to follow the underside of the body as much as possible.

Now I'll need to unfold this piece, trace onto styrene x2, same process again for the rear, paint them all flat black and done.
Old 02-17-2023, 08:01 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

that prototype looks great. will def clean up the look once you cant see right thru the fenders, its also going to need some locking hubs.!!!
Speedy-Triple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 08:12 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy-Triple View Post
that prototype looks great. will def clean up the look once you cant see right thru the fenders, its also going to need some locking hubs.!!!
Funny you mention those hubs because they are something like half off...
Old 02-17-2023, 08:13 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Truck is looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:22 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

The inner fender came out nice, can’t wait to see it painted up. That is a nice looking truck.
rob5059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 10:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goro Majima View Post
Funny you mention those hubs because they are something like half off...
DUDE!

Much appreciation for that heads up - thought I was done ordering hop-ups for my Ecto, now I have a slew of SSD parts on the way for the conversion.

(apologies for thread derailment...)
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 11:02 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
Truck is looking good

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob5059 View Post
The inner fender came out nice, can’t wait to see it painted up. That is a nice looking truck.
Thanks y'all

Looking to get them done this weekend or at least some work done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
DUDE!

Much appreciation for that heads up - thought I was done ordering hop-ups for my Ecto, now I have a slew of SSD parts on the way for the conversion.

(apologies for thread derailment...)
No problem! Lol those would definitely make sense for this build too.
Old 02-19-2023, 08:05 AM   #16
Slow is the new Fast

Love the paint color, nice choice. The styrene work is coming along nicely as well. Would be great to have an interior. Are there any scaled down 2nd gen designs out there that can be 3D printed?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 09:57 AM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Nice styrene work on the inner fenders! They're gonna look great when done!

I keep looking at them headlights and wondering how come they look so good! Are they just a decal or are they actual light buckets?? Curious minds need to know!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 10:45 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Love the paint color, nice choice. The styrene work is coming along nicely as well. Would be great to have an interior. Are there any scaled down 2nd gen designs out there that can be 3D printed?
I believe I saw a Knight Customs file or even a Shapeways print for this body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Nice styrene work on the inner fenders! They're gonna look great when done!

I keep looking at them headlights and wondering how come they look so good! Are they just a decal or are they actual light buckets?? Curious minds need to know!
That's what I forgot to do, was take a picture of the decal set because I thought it was interesting! But I cropped a picture I had that shows it somewhat about the headlights. You can see on the sheet, all the individual decals that go on each flat surface of the headlight buckets. But they also include black housing external decals if you didn't want to use the light buckets.

Old 02-26-2023, 07:15 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

The inner fenders look really good. The whole truck is nice. I am putting the same motor in my TK.

76kcfdeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:40 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I took an immense time working on the rear inner fenders. I initially started to design them like the fronts, but it wasn't gonna work with the bed and how I trimmed the arches. I'll still share those progress pics for fun.

Needed a new sheet for the long piece to fold over the top.

Even made it as far as the final piece of styrene only to be a rough draft.

The bed is practically even with the highest point of the arches so had to toss this method.

I wish I started with this basic design like I went with first. Basically only vertical coverage, keeping everything square. But front and rear mock ups are done now, so just gotta copy these onto styrene x2. Can't wait to get these cut out, folded, glued and supported, painted and done!

Realized I wanted to still connect to the slider floor so I added a piece of the rough draft styrene to it and cut it accordingly.

Stoked with how they turned out. I know it's not their final form but posting this update makes me feel better lol.

Actually had fun making these, being they're my first set of inner fenders/fender liners. I've bought some 3x3mm half square/L styrene stock to glue to the bends that need the support, so those will give these things structure. I plan to continue to make these for the the rest of my fleet. Whoever in the RC hobby world came up with using this material for inner fenders, kudos to them.

#8 Trail King x 2nd gen Tacoma TRD Pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Enduro 2015 toyota tacoma trd pro Lspencer Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 8 02-27-2022 07:53 PM
Gen 7 pro or trail honcho 2?? Olrac Newbie General 12 11-22-2019 03:50 PM
2nd Gen Tacoma Body for SCX10? ScalerFab Paint and Body 1 02-25-2010 12:52 PM