Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: reviving an older rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2018, 10:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default reviving an older rig

I have a super based on clod axles and it was suggested to run dual br mini speed control and I was wondering if that would be sufficient for my rig. the motors are some old speed works monster mash running through a single mamba monster esc. last time I ran the rig the wiring got hot enough to melt the two tamiya plugs together so the esc may be damaged now that I think of it.
socal gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: reviving an older rig

Sounds like you're geared way to high - what pinions and wheels / tires are you using?
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

well turns out the esc is fried and as for pinion I'll have to take the motor off as I have no idea and wheels are some beadlocks running Moab xl tires. truck was initially built in 09 and the axles with motor in the 80s to help with time frame
Old 02-16-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Lightbulb Re: reviving an older rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal gto View Post
well turns out the esc is fried and as for pinion I'll have to take the motor off as I have no idea and wheels are some beadlocks running Moab xl tires. truck was initially built in 09 and the axles with motor in the 80s to help with time frame
I have had problems with the "stock tamiya plugs" and do not use them because of that. I run Duratrax Powerpole Connectors on all of my RC's, but there are a few different types available on the market.
As was mentioned before, you should check on what is being ran for the gearing. On my Clod based rigs I run significantly smaller pinions (9tooth) and INTEGY 55t Lathe motors. In order to do this, you have to run an adjustable motor mounts. I have mine geared this way for torque for crawling only, and do run both motors off of one speed control, but they do not draw much for amperes with the lathe motors installed. There are certain ESC's that are rated to handle the higher amount of Amperes that would be drawn by running 2 lower wind motors from one ESC. Check out what INTEGY has to offer, and if you want some pricing on anything through us shoot us a message.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for. Woud be happy to assist if you needed anything more.

Thanks, Jeff @ Custom Crawlerz

Last edited by Jam1sstang; 02-16-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

sorry for the delay but I haven't had a chance to touch my rc stuff in a bit. I finally was able to count the teeth on the pinion on the motor and there are 13 teeth. I don't know anything about the motors except they say speed works monster mash on the front and monster mash 2 on the rear
Old 03-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

in case my motors don't work could you recommend a set of ok motors for me. i was looking at the titan for a cheap replacement just in case but I don't understand turn counts
Old 03-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal gto View Post
in case my motors don't work could you recommend a set of ok motors for me. i was looking at the titan for a cheap replacement just in case but I don't understand turn counts
What are you looking for as far as wheel speed goes? My Clodbusters run INTEGY 55t Lathe motors and 9 tooth pinions with the help of a motor plate I purchased separately and I get about a fast walking speed MAX with it running 7.2V packs. My torque is enough that it can break the truck if I get the wheels stuck and stay on the throttle. There are some people who want to have more wheel speed available to "rush" over some obstacles and then the lathe motors would not be a good fit.
Turn counts are simply the amount of wire "wraps" around a motors armature. The lower the number of "turns" the faster the motor. Some motors also have a second rating after that (Winds) that may be single, double, triple, quad, etc.. The winds refers to the amount of complete wires together that "turn" around the armature. More winds somewhat means a motor is more "efficient" as far as current draw goes.

Custom Crawlerz has a few options available for motors and esc's at a great rate if you wanted to check us out.

John Holmes of Holmes Hobbies specializes in electronics and motors if you wanted more deeper answers to your question about the motor windings.

Thanks,
Jeff@CustomCrawlerz
Jam1sstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the response one of the motors when I was taking off the old wiring notice it looked a little burnt up but once I applied power to everything ran fine until another damn axle tube broke

reviving an older rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
reviving an older rig socal gto Electronics 11 01-21-2018 03:48 PM
Reviving The Mangler... Mr. LowBudget Scale Videos! 0 03-10-2013 09:01 PM
reviving dewalt batteries camobob Electronics 11 12-22-2010 08:25 PM
Reviving an old favorite Reflektr 1.9 Scale Rigs 16 02-15-2010 02:42 PM