Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: "Super Jr."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Stretching it's legs in Colorado-- just north of Boulder.

My brother lives on Olde Stage Rd. His backyard is the west face of the first foothill. The top of the hill was a little slice of crawler heaven. I got up there every chance I had. It was wonderful.

No poser shots here-- this was the end result of some tricky crawling to the peak of this rock.

The views weren't too bad either.

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 05-25-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

All that Rock Mountain air finally did-in the front servo/axle brace. The outer servo mouning holes cracked through on both sides. I figured I needed something more rigid-- so some 4MM carbon fiber was used. The entire mount is now stiffer than ever. Hopefully the servo gears hold up!

I trimmed off the tabs, straightened out the plate, & then re-bent it so it would allow for the CF to be bolted to it's upper surface. I'm happy with the results.

Before

After

underside-- a little rough, but I think it will be OK.

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 05-28-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:51 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Broke a front lower link dropping large ledges in North 'Jersey. The other one is on it's way out.

Wondering weather to build some of those cut-out Delrin links, going with some 3/8 aluminum rod, or trying some 1/4" stainless tube.

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 06-05-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I think you would be happier with the 1/4" rod. It takes up less room than 1/2" Delrin.

I a have been running mine with 1/4" steel but I would like to get some TI or Stainless to replace them with.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:48 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Duncan-
I agree that the delrin is chunky. I was thinking of using some 7/16 CF reinforced black polycarbonate that I have, but again-- alot of work cutting it & it's still chunky.

I was thinking too of 3/8 aluminum rod. I' can turn town most of it to 1/4" and keep it 3/8" where the shock mount is.

I forget, are your steel links solid or tube?
Old 06-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up

I like this'
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:38 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Scooter.

Well, I 'burned some oil' Saturday night & got the front links churned out-- I went with 3/8 aluminum alloy (not sure which) rod that was turned down to 1/4" on the ends. I left it at 3/8" where the lower shock mounts are.

The mill came in handy for establishing the land for the mounts. I canted them so that they are now parallel with the chassis.

I'm really happy with how they came out. It's a shame they are gonna get all rock-rashed.

Pics to come...

I also scored a deal on a Traxxas 2.4gHz TQ4 (not a LINK radio!)- A second receiver lets me use the radio in one of my off-road buggies as well. No more need to keep batteries in 4 radios. Man, that is nice!

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 06-23-2010 at 01:03 PM. Reason: eliminating redundancy
Old 06-22-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

This has inspired me to build a Super with the SPV2 chassis just like you did Jeep-power I am running my Super with all thread rod sleaved with 1/4 inch SS tubing. Its pretty solid IMO. Are you using standard sized servos? Im considering using 1/4 scale servos on my next Super.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
Duncan-
I agree that the delrin is chunky. I was thinking of using some 7/16 CF reinforced black polycarbonate that I have, but again-- alot of work cutting it & it's still chunky.

I was thinking too of 3/8 aluminum rod. I' can turn town most of it to 1/4" and keep it 3/8" where the shock mount is.

I forget, are your steel links solid or tube?

Sorry for the slow response .

I am using Solid 1/4" steel.

Looking forward to seing the pictures
Old 06-23-2010, 12:54 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
This has inspired me to build a Super with the SPV2 chassis just like you did Jeep-power I am running my Super with all thread rod sleaved with 1/4 inch SS tubing. Its pretty solid IMO. Are you using standard sized servos? Im considering using 1/4 scale servos on my next Super.
Wow- thanks. There are alot of sweet (as in World Class) Supers listed here otherwise. I am stoked (& flattered) that my work has inspired you.

Sleeved rod is very strong.

Yes-- they are standard servos. I had a set of 1/4 scale servos, but just couldn't get over the size of them. These have been working great thus far. The 1/4 scale servo's drivetrain is hard to beat!

Duncan-- your wait is over:

What happens to 1/4" aluminum lower links, in short order, when they are cross-drilled. There just isn't a whole lot of material left there.

you can see that the one shown on the right was starting to yield as well

I am really happy with how these came out. I am headed back up to the place I broke the last set, for the 4th. We'll see how these hold up. The slight bend, at the axle end, is my biggest concern.

My apologies for not getting some bench shots of just the links themselves- time was short. I wrapped them up late Saturday night for the trip up north Sunday AM. They looked sweet, all polished up & fresh off the lathe. Honestly, I was a little hesitant to put them on & use them.

I love how it gave me enough room to set the lower shock mounts (more) parallel to the chassis-- much better than before! The second shot is the rear end, for comparison. It still allows for a full range of movement, as far as I can tell, but it just doesn't look all that free moving & stress-free.

I finally got a 2.4ghz radio in it. I "cheaped-out" & went with a 2.4gHz TQ4. For $100 shipped NIB, it works just fine for me. Someday I may go with the dual ESC & DX6i, but for now, it is just great to be antenna and (especially) glitch free!

`

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 06-23-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:38 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Now those are some trick looking links you got there

I think as long as you don't take too big of a tumble, they should hold up for a while. My rig just weighs too much to use aluminum. But I sure like how light they are

Glad to here you have a new radio. It sure makes it a lot more fun to drive when it is not glitching.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Duncan-

How much does yours weigh?

Yeah, if these don't hold up, it will be SS tube.

I'm still scheming on how to make the 4th channel 5 position, like yours. Unfortunately there's no programming this thing, but I think I might be able to do it with a 5 position switch & some resistors. Otherwise, I think some sort of potentiometer will do it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Not surprisingly, the rear links suffered the same fate as the fronts. I pulled another late-nighter & got the rig ready for 4th of July weekend.

Pics to come.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
Quarry Creeper

the icing on the cake is that the wheelbase is finally over 16". it sits at 16.325.

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 07-20-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

I took a hiatus from RC for a bit. Glad to see my SPV design is still being put to use and love the use on the Super. When I designed it the intent was to use it for a lot of different builds... I know Holmes used it on his 1/10th MOA rig and really liked it.
stampedeproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:32 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Stampede--

Wow & thanks! - it is an honor to have you post in here.

It is still going strong.

The aluminum alloy that was used is very durable/tough. What alloy is it? Is it hardened and/or tempered? It is surprisingly difficult to cut/work.

ps-- just curious, how did you find the thread?
Old 03-07-2011, 11:30 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

hey man, i just want to say this rig your building is very sweet! ive had to sell off x2 clod based super builds in the past for bilss etc, got back into crawling with my new losi 1/10 and absolutley love it! finally got my hands on yet another older clod truck so your build here shall be picked over good if i may for the fututre build of my super comp class!

Keep up the good work with feed back and ill be back in with some /"s for ya later!

Ryan
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Hey Ryan-- thanks & welcome back! ;)

feel free to ask away.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

I've had a few folks ask about the shock mounting brackets used on the links.

I got them second hand, but as far as I know, they are a Tamiya part off of the TLT.

A little research turned up: Tamiya "Upper/Lower Suspension Stay" PN: 9804179 or 47201

Tower Stock Number: LXGKG9

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 08-19-2011 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: "Super Jr."

Bump-

this thing is still going strong-- haven't changed a thing about it.

Lots of fun!

Last edited by Jeep-Power; 08-07-2012 at 07:08 AM.