RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Superclass Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/)
-   -   Twin Stick Tech (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/231540-twin-stick-tech.html)

666 02-14-2010 04:18 PM

Twin Stick Tech

This thread will be a informative on twin stick tech, how to modify, set-up, and control your twin stick radio's for RCCrawling!!

Nova's Ark DX-6 left stick centering mod with pictures

JIA's DX-6 thread

slobin3d's DX-6 set up

DX-6 setup by Jay Kopycinski

JeremyH 02-14-2010 04:50 PM

Good idea! You gonna make it a sticky?

Superfubario 02-14-2010 05:26 PM

Awesome. Please sticky this. I will be running my super with my DX6I and this thread will be very valuable. Thanks alot man.

"thumbsup"

Bryan

DeaDShorT 02-14-2010 06:50 PM

JIA setup explaination.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showp...725postcount=1

toytech93 02-15-2010 05:29 PM

Finally some real tech in the super section. The builds are nice to see also it shows proof that super are not dead.

Someone sticky this B*tch !

LSXEric 02-18-2010 06:32 PM

Just a hillbilly input, but cutting a notch into the left side of the radio and put a rubber band on the handle on the back of the radio. You then atach the rubberband to the liltle EPA switch. To keep it in place, put a piece of eletrical tape over the notch. Credit goes to Stick Crawles for the mod.

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k...a_Texas_US.jpg

username 02-19-2010 09:59 PM

I use my radio on a neck strap and while going hands free to pick something up.... I snapped my antenna at the hinge, so i internalized it. just crack it open, take off as much plastic parts as you can and then i found a round paint brush i had laying around to shove in the hole and cut off.

how about the voltage regulator mod i have read about for the DX6?

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...ektrum_mod.htm

is that legit or should I just get a lipo pack for my radio? sounds a little tricky to solder but I have put mod chips in loads of game consoles, they have some small points/pads. Pretty much a mod chip for your radio anyway. :0)

at this point, its running the nicad pack and my radio dies before my rig. LAME.

SVEN 05-15-2010 01:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Worked on modding my gimbal on the DX6 and instead of using a spring, I used 2 o-rings looped together (to make it same length as the spring). In the radio I can't tell any difference in the tension from the spring.

Going to cut out the lever now.

SVEN 05-15-2010 08:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Left stick is all good now, the spring holder came out pretty good on the first try. I had a heck of a time getting the spring back on the one I used as a template, so I just made another o-ring 'spring' for it and it slipped right on with no hassle.

I made some slight modification to the transmitter antennae. I cut if off and made it internal. Most of the DX6's I've seen have all broken at the hinge anyway. I just hot glued the antennae to the posts and made a plug for the hole out of 5/16 round stock that I hot glued into place.

Next thing I do will be to change the plugs on the battery. Maybe fit up a regulator/lipo alarm setup for it like I did for the React.

Bswift85 08-17-2010 09:38 AM

Hitec Optic Sport 6 channel 2.4ghz

Im just a noob and dont know alot about crawling yet (Still havent finished my first crawler), but i recently bought this radio. When i split it open i was surprised to find it already had springs and cams on both sticks just the left cam is lifted and locked out with a pin. So i removed the pin and the rachet. and now both sticks are self centering i thought it was nice not to have to buy parts.

toy4crawlin 09-07-2010 08:47 PM

nice info.
earmark

lipbr302 10-22-2010 01:46 PM

Im changing over to sticks and this is going to be usefull! "thumbsup"

Reflektr 11-29-2010 12:00 AM

I've noticed a lot of tech for the DX6 radios, but haven't seen anything posted on the Futabas (6EX), so I figure I'd toss in my 2 pennies for the Futaba owners (if any lol). Modding a 6EX is pretty similar to the DX6. I didn't have any plastic laying around, but I did happen to have some 1/8" aluminum plate. I just traced the extra piece I was lacking onto the aluminum and cut out a new one. I was able to snag a spring out of an old parts radio and bam! I was twin-stickin' it up.

newbieCrawler123 01-25-2011 05:19 PM

I just bought an Aurora A9 for use with crawlers and other RC devices. (Airplanes)

One can set the left stick on an A9 to return to center by taking the back off the transmitter and changing a couple pieces around. They are designed to do that. Apparently some of the chopper people want the left stick to center.

But rather than have the left switch center, I programmed 2 selectable throttle curves. One goes from 50% to 100%, which will make the ESC go from 0 to full speed forward. The other curve goes from 50% to 25%, which will make the ESC go from 0 to half speed backwards. I change from the forward curve to the backward curve with one of the (9 !) switches on the transmitter.

I also did some innovative programming for rear steering.

The left right on the left stick controls the rear steering. I then programmed 2 mixes selectable by one of the 3 position switches.

The first mix takes the opposite output of the left right on the right stick and sends it to the back wheels. That creates 4 wheel steer.

The second mix takes the output of the left right on the right stick and sends it to the back wheels. That creates crab driving.

The center position on the switch just allows it to control the rear wheels independently.

However, I wanted to be able to steer my crawler, both front and back while crabbing and I didn't want to have to manually hold the stick in the desired crab position all the time.

So I programmed one of the sliders to act as the master crab. I slide it to set the crawler in a crab position and then I can use either stick by itself or in 4 WS mode to steer the crawler while its crabbing.

I haven't tried it out on a crawler yet, but the servos sure seem to move nicely.

Stormin2u 01-25-2011 05:58 PM

This is great and very useful. "thumbsup"

SpeedyG 09-22-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Twin Stick Tech

Does anybody use a Turnigy 9X, and if so, which mods and mixes are used? I am going to build a 4ws Super Bully this winter, and I am curious about how to set up a mode-2 radio for 4ws MOA operation...

filotr14lsdude 09-22-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedyG (Post 3929342)
Does anybody use a Turnigy 9X, and if so, which mods and mixes are used? I am going to build a 4ws Super Bully this winter, and I am curious about how to set up a mode-2 radio for 4ws MOA operation...

I use a dx6i on my super. It's a mode 2 radio.

I use rud for front steer and ali for rear steer. I use front esc on thr and rear esc on ele.
I have a mix for throttle and drive steering independent.

Hopefully this help you out

i luv duct tape 01-29-2013 02:47 PM

has anyone tried this?

OrangeRx T-SIX 2.4GHz DSM2 6CH Programmable Transmitter w/10 Model Memory (Mode 2)

i luv duct tape 01-30-2013 12:40 AM

or this one?

2.4G CT6B 6-Channel Transmitter+Receiver (R6B) (Complete Radio System for RC Helicopter+Airplane)

flashdjse 02-01-2013 11:36 PM

OK so I see lots of setups for a dx6i with dual escs but what about a single ESC super like a m2 dig on twin stick with 4ws I'm kinda new to all this and in the process of building my first moa super