Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Rockslide super crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Rockslide super crawler

Hi,
Just wondering I can see that most of you say that the rockslide brand is bad and that the Rockslide super crawler is just a NO NO....
I wonder the reason.....
I saw them crawl nicely in some videos so why would it just not be capable? What is wrong with it? Can it be upgraded to become a YES YES crawler?
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Anyone?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Where did you see this? We sell both the RS10 and the Rockslide and have heard nothing but happy customers from each!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:06 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

well if you search out a bit in this forum almost everyone says not to waist your money in such a crawler..... I am asking since I think that it looks nice and the price tag is very afordable.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Its the same story all over. "It can't be that good at that price". Wrong.

If you are just gettign started and want an affordable Super Crawler, then buy it. If you have alot of excess money to burn, then spend $1000 on another rig that you may not like either.
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMTech-RC View Post

If you are just gettign started and want an affordable Super Crawler, then buy it. If you have alot of excess money to burn, then spend $1000 on another rig that you may not like either.
X2. I agree. People make assumptions because someone else said it can't be good. If the price seems right buy it. Try it out the cost is low, and if you decide that you like having a Super Class crawler, step up and purchase the parts to build a great rig. Good luck to you and don't be discouraged.
SUPERINVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:

I would stay away from the Chinese knock off rc cars. They might work for a minute, but once they break, good luck getting support. If you buy decent parts you should be able to resell them if you dont want or like them. If you buy dollar store rc, throw it in the trash when it quits working.

Look at any competiton. You will never see a Redcat or any other swap meet brand on the podium ahead of a good brand like Losi or Associated. They are not in the same league.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Hay trucknuts. lol nice name. so your saying that you suck as a driver with a cheaper rig?

Tires: Universal
Shocks, oil, springs: universal
Them new beadlocks...Universal
Electronics...Universal.
HMM Axial links...Universal...
Rodends....yep universal....
Chassis...universal.

Yep. looks like it up to the driver.

Last edited by Twiztid Metal; 02-23-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Twiztid Metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiztid Metal View Post
Hay trucknuts. lol nice name. so your saying that you suck as a driver with a cheaper rig?

Electronics...Universal.
HMM Axial links...Universal...
Chassis...universal.

Yep. looks like it up to the driver.

I suck with whatever I drive. I just choose to buy things once. By all means go to the dollar store and buy a redcat. Have fun with it for a minute or 2. Then when it breaks be assed out. Or you could spend a few bucks more on something of quality and use it for a long time.

But lets looks at your list.

Not at all. I run Rovers cut and opened up. I don't think the swap meet trucks come with them.

I guess you could be part right. Maybe they come with decent oil. But as far as shocks go, most people run Losi shocks. There must be a reason why people run them. Oh yeah. They are a quality product with good support.

The beadlocks on my super are far from universal. They were cnc machined and only about 10 sets were made. Unless the machinist is sending the other sets to china. But I will say this, wheels are one place you can save a little money on a super. Not everyone needs to spend $350 on a set of wheels.

Electronics...Universal.
Unless the Blue Light Special cars come with Tekin Or Castle esc's, 480 oz servos, and a good external BEC, I say quality has a edge over swap meet.

HMM Axial links...Universal...I don't use axial links. Nothing agaist them, but I made mine out of Titanium. Nice and light. Very strong.

Again Revo rod ends are the ones to which all others are judged. I doubt they come with any of the RC brands that get sold out of the trunks of cars and above the beer at the mexican/korean convenience store

Chassis...universal.

I dont think Krawlfreak makes a Beetlejuice Janky edition. But maybe he has expanded his market.

In the its like saying that a Yugo is the same as a Bentley. I am sure the Yugo owner has his own ideas, but everyone knows he really just wants to own the Bentley also.

If you only want to buy 1 crawler, buy a decent brand. Berg, Axial, Losi, RC4WD, or old school clod. There maybe others, but the most popular models got that way for a reason.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Okay, I have a few comments on this! What makes Redcat a "dollor store rc"? Second, why does it devalue a item if its made in China? I China and Japan the same? If I am mistaking, and I am not, ist Bergs from Japan? So, are you sayinf Bergs are crap since they come from overseas? Then, you go on to say that there is no support for them? Well, we carry the full line of parts for the Redcat crawlers as well as Ram-Tech RC. I know I am on here everyday and pretty easy to get ahold of. Also, the owner Darin gets on here every day or so. Not sure but when was the last time the owner of Berg or Enroute was on here? Not saying the same is true about RC4WD. Great company and product there. So, just wondering why are you trash talking there product? How many of these "dollar store rc's" have you owned?

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
RCC Addict

So is this the same quality

As this

According to you they are the same thing.

Just because it costs less does not make it cheaper. Being made in China is not the issue. Low quality is.

You cannot with a straight face say that redcat is of the same quality as Associated of Losi.

Berg's reputation speaks for itself

But what the guy was looking from another part of the forum. A review of the redcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post

As a stage of the review, I was going to run it for awhile as an OOTB rig, and give comments on it, and maybe make some small adjustments. But to be honest, it just isn't worth it from my standpoint (i.e. a competitive rig driver). I am just going to skip this because:

- the original tires suck

- swapping the tires reveals that the stock beadlocks suck. They had promise by being only 1.25" wide and thick/heavy rings........but they use 2mm fine thread screws threaded into plastic. You may get one tire change out of these, after that, junk.

- the stock servo(s) suck. They really have a hard time turning real tires on flat ground.

- the stock motors are just flat slow with stock pinion and 7.2V. It is honestly the slowest RC vehicle I have seen under full power. The speed would probably be considered pretty good 3 years ago or so, but since then we have discovered the need for wheelspeed, and there just isn't any in stock form. Some voltage may help these motors, or a little reduction in windings may do some good..........but for me, I am just going to get some real motors in there.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
I suck with whatever I drive. I just choose to buy things once. By all means go to the dollar store and buy a redcat. Have fun with it for a minute or 2. Then when it breaks be assed out. Or you could spend a few bucks more on something of quality and use it for a long time.

But lets looks at your list.

Not at all. I run Rovers cut and opened up. I don't think the swap meet trucks come with them.

I guess you could be part right. Maybe they come with decent oil. But as far as shocks go, most people run Losi shocks. There must be a reason why people run them. Oh yeah. They are a quality product with good support.

The beadlocks on my super are far from universal. They were cnc machined and only about 10 sets were made. Unless the machinist is sending the other sets to china. But I will say this, wheels are one place you can save a little money on a super. Not everyone needs to spend $350 on a set of wheels.

Electronics...Universal.
Unless the Blue Light Special cars come with Tekin Or Castle esc's, 480 oz servos, and a good external BEC, I say quality has a edge over swap meet.

HMM Axial links...Universal...I don't use axial links. Nothing agaist them, but I made mine out of Titanium. Nice and light. Very strong.

Again Revo rod ends are the ones to which all others are judged. I doubt they come with any of the RC brands that get sold out of the trunks of cars and above the beer at the mexican/korean convenience store

Chassis...universal.

I dont think Krawlfreak makes a Beetlejuice Janky edition. But maybe he has expanded his market.

In the its like saying that a Yugo is the same as a Bentley. I am sure the Yugo owner has his own ideas, but everyone knows he really just wants to own the Bentley also.

If you only want to buy 1 crawler, buy a decent brand. Berg, Axial, Losi, RC4WD, or old school clod. There maybe others, but the most popular models got that way for a reason.

What trucknuts doesnt know is all the companies he mentioned WERE NEW at one point and they got trashed as well, this hobby is amazing like that, but then once they are proven like most have they are all of a sudden "The best". Hell Im old school and was around when there was NO support of any kind for crawlers. As Twiztid Metal tried to explain that YES everything he mentioned WILL work on other rigs then just the "Big name" rigs. I have a Redcat RS10 and have broke some parts that was totally my fauly and all I did was made one simple phone call and the part was replaced free!!!! Now if that isnt getting support I dont know what support is. Redcat just introduced thier crawlers over the summer, so give them a chance and see what happens, and DONT BASH a company or rig you have no personal experience with!!!!
BADASSPONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #13
Release your anger..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
Just to be clear the Super side of RC is pure hardcore, these things are built to be the biggest, baddest, best of all crawlers at every level.

The reason for all the animosity is very simple: The Rockslide is like the Cliff Climber of Supers, its a cheap fun basher truck to mess around with that anyone can use. That is what/who it is designed for.

But to a serious gearhead this thing worthless beyond reason, it needs new tires,wheels, shocks,chassis basically everything but the axles. Now when you look at the axles, they are pure plastic. FYI no super guys will run a plastic axle, how many stock clods or Gmade builds have you seen?

Supers must have atleast metal gears, CVDs, metal tubes and knuckles. Everything below is unacceptable and not worth it. XTM built an all metal super too and that thing never took off for the same reasons I just mentioned sans the plastic in paragraph 3.

Basically until RedCat builds comp quality trucks or parts no will one give it a chance. The super market is a very loyal and stubborn group that demands alot. Just so you know, it took a few tries before RC4WD was a given chance either. ;)
ThinkTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #14

[QUOTE=ThinkTank;2319155] FYI no super guys will run a plastic axle, how many stock clods or Gmade builds have you seen?

Really? Twin Force axle housings are plastic :-P
nothinbutv8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:25 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Wow, another expert.

BUT, the guy is asking if the Redcat is a good crawler that can be upgraded. He didn't ask what was the best Super Crawler you can buy. Redcat is a good entry level - large sized crawler to get started with. I get calls every day from people looking for a large sized crawler they can take out camping, that won't break the bank while having fun.

If you are an expert crawler and want to compete every weekend -- don't buy the Redcat. It will ruin your reputation for having the best money can buy.
RAMTech-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wow, another expert.

BUT, the guy is asking if the Redcat is a good crawler that can be upgraded. He didn't ask what was the best Super Crawler you can buy. Redcat is a good entry level - large sized crawler to get started with. I get calls every day from people looking for a large sized crawler they can take out camping, that won't break the bank while having fun.

If you are an expert crawler and want to compete every weekend -- don't buy the Redcat. It will ruin your reputation for having the best money can buy.
very well said
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

If i do recall the original CLOD Axles were plastic too...hmmmm they must be junk...
Old 02-23-2010, 06:02 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

also, how much of your original CLOD/BERG/ What ever is accualy ORIGINAL????
Old 02-23-2010, 06:06 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
Hi,
Just wondering I can see that most of you say that the rockslide brand is bad and that the Rockslide super crawler is just a NO NO....
I wonder the reason.....
I saw them crawl nicely in some videos so why would it just not be capable? What is wrong with it? Can it be upgraded to become a YES YES crawler?
TO answer your question the reason the hardcore superclass drivers dont go with this model is due to unknown durability at this point and the fact 90% of the setup will not be used ($289 for axle cases and maybe some reusable hardware is not cost effective if your gonna compete it).....Hardcore superclass comp trucks are for the most part peiced together from seperate components that you "hope" to count on NOT breaking when doing stuff in a comp that you know will likely break it and cost you points...the axle cases themselves are about the only thing left from any RTR kit class super. And to be honest the only axle set realistically usable in its stock form are the RC4wd bullies....everything else you still have to replace alot of the internals to make comp ready.

That being said I personally think this truck for recreational use might just be the ticket for someone wanting to get started in the super class. You will be able to hit the rocks immediately and as long as you dont "force the issue alot" it seems would be a very economical way to get your feet wet and have alot of fun with the most capable class of truck in the sport. It also seems that the people promoting this truck will stand behind their product.

As for whether this can be made into "a YES YES Crawler?" Anything can be made into a yes yes crawler with enough modification. The question is whether you have the skills to fabricate all the changes needed. Until the red cat model is available in a Axle only/or roller only purchase and have serious aftermarket internals readily available it will not be a viable "comp only" use truck for the hardcore crowd.
jfraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:11 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Red Cats products have a huge return from dollars to fun from what I have seen.

Oh ya and if parts are so hard to get for them then why are there already two vendors on the forum that you can order parts from. Also a guy from Redcat is on the forum. Pretty damn good support IMO.
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote