Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: how much larger is super class chassis than 2.2 class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default how much larger is super class chassis than 2.2 class?

i want to build a super class. i have the manta 2.2 class chassis template and was wondering how much bigger a super class chassis would be. for now i have put template on photocopier and copied it at 120%. it doesnt look too bad. the 2.2 chassis plates measure about 9 1/8" long. the upsized at 120% is a hair under 12". is that good size for super chassis plates?
SmokeScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Wheelbase is 4-6 inches longer give or take a bit.
doors4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors4u View Post
Wheelbase is 4-6 inches longer give or take a bit.
so im not quite there yet? im almost 3 inches longer. maybe i will try 130 or 135% over the 2.2 plates.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well I went the same way and thought the chassis needed to be alot longer.
In my situation it didn't really work that way.

I've seen a few guys use a 2.2 chassis because the shocks usually mount to the lower links.( I didn't know that, I was trying to mount my shocks from chassis directly to the axles like my 2.2). I found out the hard way that it doesn't really work that way. There seem to be alot more binding issues when you try to do it that way.

One of my chassis designs was 13.5" long and 5" tall. The shocks would mount from chassis to axles but there was still alot of binding. I had to mount them to the lower links.

I'm not saying it can't be done but it didn't work for me, and I tried 3 chassis designs before I was able to find one that worked for me.

Sorry to be long winded, but I hope this helps.

Dan
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

what chassis ended up working for you? i am shooting for the manta chassis on offroader5.freesavers.com. i want a gmade stealth kinda looking chassis. kinda looking at the low profile window chassis too.

Last edited by SmokeScream; 09-20-2010 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

kmnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

i would start from the end and work backwards, Figure out what wheels base you want. then adjust your links to match the chassis, If you chassis is too long then you wont get all articulation you want. If they are too long then you'll have to much flex.

Ask Rockshow how long is Super Moonbuggy is or there is the Super juice that krawlfreak built.
aaugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeScream View Post
what chassis ended up working for you? i am shooting for the manta chassis on offroader5.freesavers.com. i want a gmade stealth kinda looking chassis. kinda looking at the low profile window chassis too.

I used the NN chassis. I would agree with aaugman about starting with the wheelbase that you want. I made a jig from some aluminum L-channel and drilled it to 17.5".
I placed my axles in the jig and then was ale to start figuring out which chassis would work better.

I went through my 2.2 chassis with no such luck. The shocks didn't mount up the way I wanted them to, and the links were not right either. I ended up with the NN super chassis I got from a good friend.

I have a thread in the super section. Cavie98's super berg build. It's not much of a build but it might give you some ideas. Hope it helps.

Last edited by cavie98; 09-20-2010 at 07:17 PM.
cavie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
MODERHATER™

Depends if it is a bodiless rig it needs to be longer than a 2.2 to meet USRCCA rules.

Here are the rules:

http://www.usrcca.com/rules/2010_USRCCA_Rules.pdf
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
RCC Addict

By 2.2 manta do you mean DNA mantis, the berg chassis? If so I believe the original prototype for that chassis was a super class. Maybe PM Billet Works (Owner of BWD) on this forum and ask him if he still has the dimensions?

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
By 2.2 manta do you mean DNA mantis, the berg chassis? If so I believe the original prototype for that chassis was a super class. Maybe PM Billet Works (Owner of BWD) on this forum and ask him if he still has the dimensions?

Kieren
no its a chassis someone made and you can just download the template. its called the manta and its a bodiless type. i started to cut out the the 2.2 sized ones from a sheet of 2.5mm alum alloy. gonna maybe try it on my ax10 and see how it works. might just breakdown and buy stealth since its so mean looking.