Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Kinda newbie Mod/build thread, enjoy :D

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
I was thinkin about picking up one of these for the price as a cheep step into the super arena to see if i like it.

Heres what i was wondering, will the stock esc handle 2s lipo? And do the axles seam to flex since they are plastic?
Copy that. Pretty much what I got it for. So far I dig it. It does need bigger tires, 3.2" or bigger to be "comp" legal.

I'm just running nimh packs in it right now so I'm not sure if it can handle lipo's. You can try to contact nitrorcx, they might get back to you.

The axles flex very little, even for plastic. They are durable though. I've put this thing thru the ringer and its survived so far
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrind808 View Post
Copy that. Pretty much what I got it for. So far I dig it. It does need bigger tires, 3.2" or bigger to be "comp" legal.

I'm just running nimh packs in it right now so I'm not sure if it can handle lipo's. You can try to contact nitrorcx, they might get back to you.

The axles flex very little, even for plastic. They are durable though. I've put this thing thru the ringer and its survived so far

I just got mine friday and played with it a little bit over the weekend. I am pretty impressed with it so far, especially for the price. I will have a pretty extensive review very soon.

I haven't confirmed anything about lipo, but the voltages are so close, I would assume it would work, the question is whether it has a LVC or not. I do have to say I am impressed with the drag brake on this esc for being a RTR.
I'll be swapping to deans and trying out a few different lipos soon.

First things I did to this was vent the rims, add weights, and move the shocks. Pretty much the initial necessary things to do to these.

The plastic does seem to be better than what you would expect from a cheap crawler.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrind808 View Post
Your Thread has inspired me and I ordered a blue one to mess with and extra parts for the 4WS. What are the dimentions of the Stock wheels? Are they off by alot for comp legal? They looked a little small from the pictures and I suspected I would have to get diferent wheels but that's not a big deal.

I always enjoy fabing stuff, I think that half the fun of this sport. I gues we shall see what I can make it do too

Looks like the super bug bit me.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Your Thread has inspired me and I ordered a blue one to mess with and extra parts for the 4WS. What are the dimentions of the Stock wheels? Are they off by alot for comp legal? They looked a little small from the pictures and I suspected I would have to get diferent wheels but that's not a big deal.

I always enjoy fabing stuff, I think that half the fun of this sport. I gues we shall see what I can make it do too

Looks like the super bug bit me.
Where did you order the blue steering pieces from?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the spare parts list, it's listed as "truck conversion kit"

The wheels are 2.8" in diameter, so they are just a little under the legal limit. Some local comps probably won't care though. I was planning on getting the 3.2" maximizer beadlocks, and probably a few sets of some 2.2 tires to cut and expand. The axial 40 series beadlocks are not too expensive either.

I was also thinking of getting a second esc to do a dual esc dig set-up. They are only $15, and that's about the same price as getting a dig switch, and way less than a punk-dig.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 03-15-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Im going to ditch the stock eletronics once i get some $ saved up. Ill probly never go to a duel esc, thats just too complex for me at this point. Hell on my 2.2 all i ever use is front burn. So with my 4 ch radio ill pobly do a servo dig and put a potentiometer on the radio to adjust rear stear. I wish i had the $ for a 4pl or dx 4 ch radio.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I just got mine friday and played with it a little bit over the weekend. I am pretty impressed with it so far, especially for the price. I will have a pretty extensive review very soon.

I haven't confirmed anything about lipo, but the voltages are so close, I would assume it would work, the question is whether it has a LVC or not. I do have to say I am impressed with the drag brake on this esc for being a RTR.
I'll be swapping to deans and trying out a few different lipos soon.

First things I did to this was vent the rims, add weights, and move the shocks. Pretty much the initial necessary things to do to these.

The plastic does seem to be better than what you would expect from a cheap crawler.
Right on, I don't think it has LVC, its a pretty simple esc IMO.

Hit me with a PM if you want to go for a run.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
Where did you order the blue steering pieces from?

EDIT: nevermind, I found the spare parts list, it's listed as "truck conversion kit"

The wheels are 2.8" in diameter, so they are just a little under the legal limit. Some local comps probably won't care though. I was planning on getting the 3.2" maximizer beadlocks, and probably a few sets of some 2.2 tires to cut and expand. The axial 40 series beadlocks are not too expensive either.

I was also thinking of getting a second esc to do a dual esc dig set-up. They are only $15, and that's about the same price as getting a dig switch, and way less than a punk-dig.
I just fabbed the rear steer on mine, but I'm diggin the "truck conversion kit" to match the color.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:42 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I should have mine on Monday then I'll start messin. I'm going to get some 40 Series wheels & narrow them and cut and enlarge some Panther lepords for this rig. Then I'll move on the the chassis, DIG/BURN/4WS etc...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:12 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
I should have mine on Monday then I'll start messin. I'm going to get some 40 Series wheels & narrow them and cut and enlarge some Panther lepords for this rig. Then I'll move on the the chassis, DIG/BURN/4WS etc...
Check'd out the AB Designs site, cool stuff. I figure thats your company and I see you're moving to Colorado, I'll have to hit you up for parts for my next build

Be safe and good luck with the move
Old 03-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Sure thing, I'll be living just south of Colorado Springs. The wife and kids won't be there till a little later so I'll some time to get out and crawl once the house and such is settled... And Sportsman Nationals I'm stoked about that. I'll hit you up once I'm there.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Tried 3S on my ESC today for a few minutes, and it seemed to be fine. I'll probably just run 2S lipo to be safe and just watch for when the vehicle starts to get close to LVC and see if the ESC does anything. I also got my dig switch in. The dead short drag on these motors is really weak, so it's more like a freewheel switch, which is why I want to do dual ESCs. It will work for now though.

I'll have my thread up very soon so I am not hijacking this one.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:
Sure thing, I'll be living just south of Colorado Springs. The wife and kids won't be there till a little later so I'll some time to get out and crawl once the house and such is settled... And Sportsman Nationals I'm stoked about that. I'll hit you up once I'm there.
Right on, heres the link to most of the places in Colorado everyone found, Crawlerado Crawling Atlas

It looks like theres some decent places with some great scenery around the Colorado Springs area.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:21 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Tried 3S on my ESC today for a few minutes, and it seemed to be fine. I'll probably just run 2S lipo to be safe and just watch for when the vehicle starts to get close to LVC and see if the ESC does anything. I also got my dig switch in. The dead short drag on these motors is really weak, so it's more like a freewheel switch, which is why I want to do dual ESCs. It will work for now though.

I'll have my thread up very soon so I am not hijacking this one.
Its all good man, I'm all about the exchange of information, where ever it is

Which dig are you running? I'm lookin at the Rocker Dig II from RC4WD. Decent price and it looks like it will do the job.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
RCC Addict

Default Upgrade time.

So I've had the Mad Torque for about a month now, been running it pretty much everyday, fixes and mods here and there and have been generally satisfied and impressed with how durable this somewhat cheap RTR crawler has been

Mostly recently I had 2 bearings go out in the rear tranny which was a quick $4 fix and gave me a chance to relube all the gears and do a once over of the drive train. All the gears and drive shafts looked in good working order

One of the front steering knuckles finally gave way to time and pressure and snapped in a hard bind. I found the some aftermarket Alum. axial knuckles that fit prefectly and was back out on the rocks in no time

Old 03-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #35
RCC Addict

That knuckle you are using, is that for the ax-10 and do you have a part number for that?
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
That knuckle you are using, is that for the ax-10 and do you have a part number for that?
The knuckles are after market replacements for the ax 10 from gh hobbies, not sure of the part #. it was all they had at hobbyclown. Your best bet is to search the classifieds on here or check out eBay.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:25 AM   #37
RCC Addict

I tried a nuckle from my venom creeper and it fit aswell with the exception of the outer bearing the housing was a touch too small. So thats another part that could work.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
I tried a nuckle from my venom creeper and it fit aswell with the exception of the outer bearing the housing was a touch too small. So thats another part that could work.
Good to see there's part options for these rigs. The knuckles I got work great and I had no problems with fitting both bearings.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

The more I watch you guys, the more money I spend ?
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Check it out, huge wheels + 2 crapy servos on one axle... presto... you can stear again

Now spend more money and by more stuff

Tags
class, exceed, mad, super, torque