Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:26 AM   #321
RCC Addict

Default Re: Super Experiment... :&

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
We should be grateful for step drills, a true 16mm counterbore is hard to find... and they start (without pilot) at $100. I couldn't believe it.
it's not a big deal, just from eying up the pictures of the UJ's I figured there might be some issues with the In side bearing just because of the way it's constructed. but it's an easy fix. That 5/8th bor I got, for some reason the 16mm bearing slip in with a perfet fit. I think the friction on plastic wall might widen it just a touch to make it a perfect fit.

I was going to be a step bit but I don't have the money for that at the moment so this will work for now.

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-09-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #322
RCC Addict

Got my parts in the mail today

Here you can see how far the bearing needs to be seated to run properly. It's about 3mm in you have to drill, it sould leave the bearing face about 1.5mm below the face and it will leave about 1.5mm of material between the outer and inner bearing.

So this means that I have the front of the rig finished minus some tweaking to the stearing.

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-09-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #323
RCC Addict

CRAWLER ZOMBIE!!!!!!!

Video - http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/x...=VIDEO0038.mp4

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-09-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #324
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Nicely done. $2 and a few mins work... you can afford to keep a bucket of spares.

I'm really hoping the Cs will always be the stubborn sacrifice in the assembly (no mods, and cheapest), but if these go... no biggie.

Good job, A.
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:46 PM   #325
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Just saw the vid.

Reminded me of the old perv's dog on Family Guy.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #326
MODERHATER™

Funny vid!

Looks like you should have a ton of steering now!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:37 PM   #327
Rock Crawler

That Video reminds me of watching the Movie "Terminator"
when at the end of the movie the "Terminator" gets cut in half and crawls
and all his guts are dragging behind him

Great Job

Regards V8
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #328
RCC Addict

Well, I've got the rear Axle mostly done. I still need to fab up the 4 Link mount and then I think it's perty much finished. Just have to attache it and make some new rear upper and lower links, hash out the stearing and she'll be done!! I couldn't find any more servo brackets so I'm going to re use the bracket from the earlier version.

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-09-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:21 AM   #329
RCC Addict

I've been sick the last few days and to worst has been yesterday. I did manage to do the lower links in the rear before I ran out of energy. Hopefully I start feeling better so I can finish this beast.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Abavuso; 01-11-2012 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #330
Quarry Creeper

Give me some info on the threaded rods that you used. I need to get some for my bta set up. Is that a slash rod connecting the servos?
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #331
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
Give me some info on the threaded rods that you used. I need to get some for my bta set up. Is that a slash rod connecting the servos?
The long one is from a Liao mrc, the short ones are from my xr10. I don't care for this set up so I will be changing it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #332
Quarry Creeper

I kinda like the center one that way you can always adjust the bind out of the servos. I've got the same arms that you have. Can't beat that deal. If you had to do a chassis again, what would you change?
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #333
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
I kinda like the center one that way you can always adjust the bind out of the servos. I've got the same arms that you have. Can't beat that deal. If you had to do a chassis again, what would you change?
Well, this chassis was more of and experiment with a frame forward design. I really like the way it handls, The only down fall are the really long rear links. Fo if I did it again, I would probly streach the skid a little furth towards the rear about 2-3 inches with it starting to curve where the current rear of the chassis is so that a strait link from that point would work just fine and then I wouldn't need long bent links to get the most of the rear break over. Other than that, I wouldn't really change anything on the chasssis. Also by makeing the longer skid, it would give me the ability to kill the chassis twist. The chassis in the rear twists really bad in a bind and makes it tough at times. I'm sure I could soften up the shocks and that would help with this or add some extra bracing. That's just my initial thoughts. Once I get some cash build up, you'll brobly see a version two emerge.

This setup still needs a bit of tweeking to get the stance correct because at the moment, it's kinds sitting a little strange due to the hight shock mounting in the rear.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #334
RCC Addict

Well.... She's all finished up!!! Almost. I set the front and rear stearing up alightly diferent to see which is going to give me the best outcome and the rear will by far give me better stearing with the drag link as oposed to the way I have the front set up.

I did take her for a drive around the house and up the steps to get a feel for how it drives, I'll tell you what, 55 degrees of stearing in front and back, I can literlay turn in place!!! So much nicer than before. I think my ideal setup would be 2 BRXL's and 2 Hitech 7.2v servos(one for each axle). That way I can move all the eletronics from the chassis.

The only thing left to make this rig sing would be 2 high power servos. That will help me cut the weight back down along with reconfigure the eletronics a touch. So with the modification complete the total weight gain is 10zo. It was 7LB 13oz, now it's 8LB 7oz

Over all, just bashing up and down the steps, on the couch and such, this rig feels like a million dollars!!! It feels stable and planted. I think the extra weight might be helping it too because it use to bounce and hop a little but now it feels solid. I really can't wait to get this thing out on the rocks!
Old 01-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #335

Ok maybe some of the guys in this thread could help me out. I want to buy an exceed crawler to play around with at the park and while camping,I started a thread in the newbie section to only get told the exceed stuff and stay away. I want one because the cost and would like to just play around and maybe mod one with tires and play with setup.
Would you guys rec a maxstone 10 or the mad torque for what I want to ? Whats a better base ?
ERV JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM   #336
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERV JR View Post
Ok maybe some of the guys in this thread could help me out. I want to buy an exceed crawler to play around with at the park and while camping,I started a thread in the newbie section to only get told the exceed stuff and stay away. I want one because the cost and would like to just play around and maybe mod one with tires and play with setup.
Would you guys rec a maxstone 10 or the mad torque for what I want to ? Whats a better base ?
I haven't looked at the Maxstone stuff to any extent except for the Max stone 1/8. I think the max stone crawlers all have plastic gears, but if you want a base crawler just to toy with and mode, for the price you would pay for an exceed crawler is worth is to see if it's somthing you would like. I know there's alot of people that prefer to stay with the popular brand because of it is already proven. I would say if youplan to comp an exceed crawler it's going to take alot of work to make it reliable. If this is your first crawler ever and you just want to play, go for it. Then if you get serious about crawling mod the heck out of it or get something diferent. I'm finaly happy with my exceed crawler but it took alot of modding and work to make it so I was happy with it. There's still a few things that need changed on it but that's not a huge deal any longer. the best thing about the exceed srawlers is that the parts are in expensive if you break something. The down side is tha the parts quality seam to lack a little bit in the molding process.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:29 AM   #337
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Well.... She's all finished up!!! Almost.... I really can't wait to get this thing out on the rocks!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
I haven't looked at the Maxstone stuff to any extent except for the Max stone 1/8. I think the max stone crawlers all have plastic gears, but if you want a base crawler just to toy with and mode, for the price you would pay for an exceed crawler is worth is to see if it's somthing you would like. I know there's alot of people that prefer to stay with the popular brand because of it is already proven. I would say if youplan to comp an exceed crawler it's going to take alot of work to make it reliable. If this is your first crawler ever and you just want to play, go for it. Then if you get serious about crawling mod the heck out of it or get something diferent. I'm finaly happy with my exceed crawler but it took alot of modding and work to make it so I was happy with it. There's still a few things that need changed on it but that's not a huge deal any longer. the best thing about the exceed srawlers is that the parts are in expensive if you break something. The down side is tha the parts quality seam to lack a little bit in the molding process.
Absolutely correct.

I have never seen a plastic geared rig that made anyone happy for long... and I have never seen a cheap metal upgrade. I recommend a Mad, and some spares. If you enjoy upgrading, or just mess around once in awhile... this is a good start.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #338

From what I read up on them the 1/10 scale max stone has metal gears but plastic spool. I really just want to fool around and bring it with me when I get sent on filed calls so I have something to do when not at home
Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #339
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
From what I read up on them the 1/10 scale max stone has metal gears but plastic spool. I really just want to fool around and bring it with me when I get sent on filed calls so I have something to do when not at home
You're right. I don't know if that spool could be a problem... looks stout. They make an AL spool, but it isn't cheap ($45 a pr). Let us know what you choose, and how it goes.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
You're right. I don't know if that spool could be a problem... looks stout. They make an AL spool, but it isn't cheap ($45 a pr). Let us know what you choose, and how it goes.
I was hoping for someone to point the advantage of one over the other . I am clueless really. It looks like the Max stone could use 2.2 wheels and tires and alot of AX10 stuff. As for the tires for the mad torque are there any out of the box tires sized for the rig or is cutting and gluing required for one of these ? Also Are the tires the tires that come on the mad torque decent if I change the foam and weight the wheels or are they too short in dia for the lenght of the rig ?