Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Have a look here.
Alarming simmillar but in metal.

http://www.teamnewage.com/instruction_manual.php
Wierd... That looks just like this one:

http://www.rc4wdshop.com/go/product_...roducts_id=893

I bet that new age and RC4WD stole the idea from Exceed RC.

Very alarming.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Default NEXT MOD, Duel Survos on one axle...

So after examination I realized that it would be super easy to mount two servos on the axle... Mind you I still need better servos but to crappy servos almost = 1 good one... weeeee....

Alright enough of that.

First you need...

2 - Stock servo Plates
2 - Servo mounts
2 - 6mm Spacers
1 - 3/8th in thick delrin.

Step 1 - Chop off the old servo mount
Step 2 - mount the 6mm spacer and the servo plate on the front hole that you can use to lock the steering out
Step 3 - Cut you block of Delrin 20mm x 76mm
Step 4 - Cut an arc in the delrin to clear the transmission(6mm at the peak)
Step 5 - drill one hole on the bottom of each end to mount the the two servo plates(about 74mm apart) then mount the block to the servo plate. The block of delrin will now become the servo mount for one side of the servo.
Step 6 - Still the 4 mounting holds for your servo.
Step 7 - Mount the servo and attach the Y-Harness.
Step 8 - Make your connecting rods(use turn buckles, it's a lot easier)
Step 9 - Have Fun

Here's a render of a mount that I might make, not mass production or anything. I would also include the 4 Link with a brace that would mount where the 3 Link does.

Here's the pictures

I love the big wheels,.. Can't wait for the panther's to do my cut and shut...

Now all I need is two more servos and 1 more servo plate.

Next up... a narrow skid and strech it out just a touch so I'll sit about about 17.5 inches.

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-25-2011 at 09:53 PM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

where do you find the time? are you still here in Pa by yourself? if so that explains it!
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzz23 View Post
where do you find the time? are you still here in Pa by yourself? if so that explains it!
Well the movers came today to pack everthing up and then they will load the truck up on Tuesday. So yes it's just me and my crawler stuff that have access to... I don't actuely start triving till the 10th to Colorado.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:20 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Default Articulation Limiting

So after playing with this truck a Little more I realized that I need to limit the articulation. being able to plant one wheel on it's side wall while the rear wheels are flat on the ground is cool, but not effective for comp crawling...

So I've limited the articulation to 8 inches. When I set up my comp rigs I alway limit the articulation to the hight of one tire and that seams to be a great place to start when tuning the rig...

So to achieve this, I added a 3/4in spacer on all four shock shafts... It really stiffens the rig up and makes if feel a lot more crawler worthy.

If you to 3/4 on the rear and 1/2 on the front, you will get about 10-12 inched of articulation, that felt like it was a touch too much.

You can use rubber tubing or a plactic spacer to do this.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
So after playing with this truck a Little more I realized that I need to limit the articulation. being able to plant one wheel on it's side wall while the rear wheels are flat on the ground is cool, but not effective for comp crawling...

So I've limited the articulation to 8 inches. When I set up my comp rigs I alway limit the articulation to the hight of one tire and that seams to be a great place to start when tuning the rig...

So to achieve this, I added a 3/4in spacer on all four shock shafts... It really stiffens the rig up and makes if feel a lot more crawler worthy.

If you to 3/4 on the rear and 1/2 on the front, you will get about 10-12 inched of articulation, that felt like it was a touch too much.

You can use rubber tubing or a plactic spacer to do this.

I think the general rule of thumb is the height of the tire for articulation. Anything else and you'll just let yourself get twisted up and end up breaking something.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #27
RCC Addict

The dual servos up front is awesome man! Good Job! That will be my next mod for sure
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Im debating on buying one of these crawlers for the wife

Sweet your going to be closer to me, so shipping will be quick....
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:53 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Default More Mods, She's almost ready...

So after a long day of packing and building a trailer to move my crap in one would think that I've be exhausted and pass out! No no no... I'm a crawling addict and my name is Adam! So even though I'm exhausted from all this moving, I forged on with some more mods since I had a few random Ideas though the day that I just had to try.

I stretched the WB out to 17in... I thought it was going to be 17.5in but I guess exhaustion and math don't mix .

I did this by taking that trusty block of Delrin 51mm wide and using it as a skid only I made it longer in the back to mount the lowers out an inch to spread the WB to 17in.

So here it is. Narrowed

And I figured out how to do the 4 link and to make that Cross brace sturdy enough. Not I've got 4 link in the font and 3 link in the rear. I think tomorrow I'm going to the LHS for an extra servo to get my rear steer back and some switches to mod my radio and build the dig.

I think that I might narrow the rims and the moabs for a little better bite/less weight till my Panthers get here. and I'm going to get some narrower hex's becaus with the axial offet it make puts the track width at 16in and that feels a bid too wide.. I think 14-15 should be a good place to be.

And pictures with my old Venom Creeper body because that stock body doesn't fit with the narrow chassis and I don't have any longer body posts. And full articulation.

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-26-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Where ya at in CO?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Where ya at in CO?
I'm going to be in Colorado Springs at Ft Carson. Once I get there I need to find some crawling spots... Shouldn't be too hard.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:40 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

Probably more Crawling places in CO Springs, then in the entire state of pa :P. Welcome to the crawler state !
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Like how you build. Very much like me, in the way that you would rather make what you need than to just buy an off-the-shelf part.

I was going to use the lower links as the new upper links and make some lower links out of thick delrin rod to get the length. I was planning on making a "super" version of my Karnage chassis, but probably closer to the V5 design here just stretched and with the holes where they need to be.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:07 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Im debating on buying one of these crawlers for the wife

Sweet your going to be closer to me, so shipping will be quick....
My girl wanted to get into crawling and was thinking about a MRC.

I gave her a few pointers and she gave the mad torque try and did pretty well for her first time. She's all about the big crawler/ superclass rigs now
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Like how you build. Very much like me, in the way that you would rather make what you need than to just buy an off-the-shelf part.

I was going to use the lower links as the new upper links and make some lower links out of thick delrin rod to get the length. I was planning on making a "super" version of my Karnage chassis, but probably closer to the V5 design here just stretched and with the holes where they need to be.

I was checking out your chameleon design... that would make for and awesome super chassis. BTW, I love your other designs too. It looks like you are a touch better at the 3D cad than I'm am. I'm still stuck on 2D cad. I can't seam to figure out the 3D cad for some reason. The main road block for me is figuring out the interface. I wish I still had 3DS Max I used that in college and could whip out a design in 10 min.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
I was checking out your chameleon design... that would make for and awesome super chassis. BTW, I love your other designs too. It looks like you are a touch better at the 3D cad than I'm am. I'm still stuck on 2D cad. I can't seam to figure out the 3D cad for some reason. The main road block for me is figuring out the interface. I wish I still had 3DS Max I used that in college and could whip out a design in 10 min.
I liked the chameleon design, and really it was the first bodiless chassis with changeable tops. Now designs like your topper chassis and a lot of the other bodiless chassis use that theory. I had considered bringing it back, with the updates necessary to be comp legal and beefier (reasons I went to the Karnage design.) though it would need to be much beefier for super use.

Have you seen the scale metal axle I am working with Generis? That's a good representation of my 3D work.

I have been using AutoCAD since I was in high school in 2000, but never had any formal training with it. Just messing around with the program in my free time.

The newest version of AutoCAD makes it a little easier to work with 3D, but I think a lot of people are heading to solidworks for 3D. Played with it a little bit, and I don't think the interface for SW is intuitive, but I'll be taking some classes for it soon, hopefully it will make more sense after that.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:00 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Default First time on the rocks!!!

Well, I took her out on her maiden voyage then ripped out her motors for an "upgrade" to continue crawling... The stock motors with the big wheels gave me so much clod stall and wouldn't move in a bind that it was just ridiculous. So I went with my cheep favorite, the venom fireball 55T. I know, I know everyone's going to give my crap about these motors... but I run them in my XR-10 on 2S and 3S and have had nothing be good results so I thought I would try a set of them in the super...

Fist off, they did give me more wheel speed, holding power and torque then the stock motors did, however I think all the electronics I'm running are too much for the ESC. 2 - 150oz Servos on the front, 1 - 380oz servo in the rear and 1-micro servo for the dig switch...

I've got one BEC here that I'll wire up to the rear servo at 7.2v to get the max 460oz from it and that should help with the shuttering from the spedo... not it did shutter till I added all the servos. Then I'll have to get another BEC for the front once the $ permit.

This esc Maxes at 8.4v according to the manuel... I really want to put some 3S power to it to get the max benefit from the 55T motors as I've fount 11.1v gives the Fireball motors their best performance. I did have some 7S NIMH packs for my SCT that I'm going to test out later in the week, I'm sure that will give me better results plus push some weight up front.

Tech question (DIG) traditionally I've set my dig via mechanical switch killing the power to the desired motor... problem is, the 55T on a super just act like a free wheel. Not T's to hold it still. Is there any way to apply with a mechanical switch a low voltage to keep the rear motor locked? I could use a switch to reverse the current but then I'd have equal power forward and reverse, cool but that's a penalty every time i use it. I just don't have the $ for the duel esc and new 4CH radio at the moment.

Any how, enough talk... here's the pictures from today and a video.

VIDEO

Old 03-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I like it, ... I Like it, ... I Like It Alot ! Nice work.
PS: My wife says you'er a bad influence !

Last edited by XtrmTJ; 03-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmTJ View Post
I like it, ... I Like it, ... I Like It Alot ! Nice work.
PS: My wife says you'er a bad influence !

Well here's some more bad influence... all you need is an XR-10 so you can scavenge some of the extra body posts if you narrow the chassis ...

Check it out...

I suppose the stock body is growing on me a little.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Dig is tough with the dig switches. Punk makes a switch that applies a little amount of drag brake for the off motor.

I made a y-splitter cable for my BEC so it supplies both servos the 7.0v I programmed the BEC for, and it has been working great ever since. It is a very simple cable to make, I can try and post a quick schematic if you want.

Basically it takes 2x servo extension cables and a female servo plug. This makes it so you don't have to mess with any of the existing plugs, in turn making it very easy to replace parts if they break.
CCBEC's are good for 10amps so it should be enough for two servos.