Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #401
RCC Addict

Default Re: Super Experiment... :&

Alright, another comp down!!! - Took 2nd place, I may have done a little better had I not been running the dig the way I have it set up. Until I get the2nd ESC for the rig I'll need to switch the dig set up a little, It's too complex and too easy to make a mistake. Also, new high-power servos are going to be a must!!! These cheep twin 200oz servos aren't cutting the mustard!!!!

Supers at the Comp - http://youtu.be/1LkDyD9PwWA

Last, but not least, the carnage of the day!!! On a plus, the JB'd UJ's are still holding strong

I fell off rock and landed on another small rock directly on the knuckle(another reason to correct the scrub) and shattered the knuckle and the C from the impact!!!

Here's two buggy knuckles I got to try and fan dangle a way to make them work for more durability.

Option 1 : http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-81022.html - 1/8th Exceed RC Rally (not really a rally)
Option 2 : http://www.nitrorcx.com/mad-bd3060.html - 1/8th Exceed Mad Fire

I'm thinking if I shave the mounts off the aluminum one, I should be able to drill two center holes to make it work. There's about 3mm of material that should hold a 4mm thread just fine.

The cast Knuckle should be able to achieve the same think with only one hole to drill directly above the other hole. I'm just not understanding they the buggy knuckles would have an offset mount. From playing with it it seam like it would help keep the tire flat on high speed turns.

Here's the photos...

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-12-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2012, 03:18 PM   #402
RCC Addict

Here's the results from my first test... - You have to grind the rear end of the knuckle completely flat and outside round. You have to recess the bearing in the C - 2 mm to give me enough meat on the knuckle to drill into it and tap it for 3mm. I use the sleeve from an AX-10 to seat the 3mm hex into so it pivots smooth. Last you have to notch the steering arm 2.5mm at the inside to get full lock.

Now the only issue is that I drilled the holds slightly off and I now have about 1mm of camber ... I guess I should have measured twice.. oops. It's really noticeable with the wheel on!!

Old 03-12-2012, 06:55 PM   #403
RCC Addict

Option number 2:

This knuckle is far easies to covert. Much less grinding involved and you only have to drill one hole. Widen the holes in the C to fit the metal sleeve. Deepen the bering pocket 2 mm. Shorten the steering arm and notch the bottom of it to get to full clock.

Check it out.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #404
RCC Addict

what is the reason for running these knuckles over the stock plastic ones will this increase the strenght of the c-hub?
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #405
RCC Addict

Added durability and gives better options for making knuckle weights.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #406
RCC Addict

i would say if you really want to make knuckles weights i would use the aluminum ones because they have more area to mount them to
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #407
RCC Addict

I'm sure you'll be able to figure where I'm going with this. I found 4 of these wheels new on e-bay for $12 shipped so I figured, what the heck, I'll try this idea I've had ruling around in my head for a while now.

Essentially, I'm just going to be harvesting the lock channel and then using spacers between them for the desired width. Cap the outside off with a solid delrin disk and my custom delrin 3 piece hex with spacers to achieve the desired offset.

Here's the start...

Old 04-08-2012, 08:06 AM   #408
RCC Addict

Now we drill every other hole out to 3mm and countersink it and fasten the spacers.

Mount the tire.... Now I just have to get the outer disk cut to mount my test hub to. The hub is going to be cut from - hex potion - 1/4in delrin, followed by a 1/8th in face and subsequent 1/8 or 1/4 in spacers to achieve desired offset.

It looks kind tacky but might actually work. Once I'm happy with the design, I'll clean it up and reduce the overall weight.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #409
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Looking good!

Nice to see you have time to play a bit. Getting settled in?
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #410
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
Looking good!

Nice to see you have time to play a bit. Getting settled in?
The last few weeks have been brutal... 60+ hour weeks, sick for 5 days, and now I finally got a few hours to myself........

And just started building a house too so I'll be moving here very shortly to be ready for the new baby here in November.

It seams like my life is either slow or fast, not much middle ground!!!!. I need things to slow down so that I can get back to work on these axle housings and a few other ideas I've come up with. This way we can start selling axles.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #411
RCC Addict

Finishing of the first test wheel.

I use a 1/16th in piece of white delrin to attach the main disk to. Bolted it up and here it is. Now I have to find a way to make it a little better.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #412
ekd
Quarry Creeper

I really like how that looks. Nicely done.

Are you hoping to tool up and produce these, or sub the work out?

What does the overall width come to with these?
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #413
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
I really like how that looks. Nicely done.

Are you hoping to tool up and produce these, or sub the work out?

What does the overall width come to with these?
I was just testing an idea to start. I've got to get the other 3 finished and then test for durability. It's not probable to take and cut a bunch of wheels to make these unless you already happen to have a set or find a killer deal like I did. Idealy if I can make the bead channle myself that would be best. Once I get the design worked and durability tested ill go from there.

These have 20mm spacers in them but you could go to any width.

My plan is to cut the hex portion from 1/4 inch T6061 aluminum and use the flat rings and spacers in 1/8th inch delrin. The outer disk would be preferable in 2mm T6061 but I though I would give the 1/16th in delrin a shot. I'm almost convinced that the disk or the cheep plastic channels will break in a hard impact... We shall see once I get them finished.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-22-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #414
RCC Addict

looks good man i think someone else on here did something like this as well
Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 PM   #415
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
looks good man i think someone else on here did something like this as well
Yes, deluxe made some. I just started working on these before have finally got his finished. I'll probably just buy his in the end because it will be far cheeper. The only down fall is that he uses 12mm hex and I need the 17mm hex. So I'll probably just buy the wheels and cut my own disks and hex's so that I can have a nice super wheel.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #416
RCC Addict

Drill press rim mod's with VP hubs

i was thinken more this but i know d-lux did rims like that