Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Well, according to RC4WD, the Super bully axle is 290mm hex face to hex face. This is pretty close to the EXMT but not sure how close.

Although, it would be:

$30 for 17mm hexes
$80 for the super XVDs
$? for bearings
What about knuckles?

easily over $100 for the XVDs. I really think there are some 1/8th scale buggy/truggy CVDs we can modify, but nothing ever shows dimensions, you just have to guess based on the track width and center bulkhead size.

I've been looking at the Bully axles and the EXMT axles, and it looks like the tubes might actually line up, meaning if you wanted to, you might be able to put this axle case in a set of Super Bully tubes.

I really wish I had a set of Super Bullies to take some precise dimensions from...
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #102
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Plus, a 625 is only 94 oz-in, so even if you double it, it's not that much torque (enough to turn one tire for every two servos.)

As far as your glitching, did you use a BEC? The sidewinder has a pretty weak BEC and gets worse on 3S.

I had a totally different idea on clocking the axle, but I was going to wait until I made my new chassis to get the linkage figured out and mess with clocking at that point.

I think the super bully CVDs might work, but I am betting not a lot of the super bully guys check out this thread. Might be a question to email RC4WD directly.
Ive got the bec running to the larger servo on the rear. Im still waiting for the bec for the front two servos. The only servo thats glitching is the small servo for my dig switch when i steer and the rear servo on the bec very seldomly. The front two servos are perfect and smooth? I did notice that the throttle is glitching slightly but not noticable. There is less issue on 2s and more glitch on 3s? If i have time tonighy, ill wire it all nice and that should fix the problem i think. That and i gotta see if the lhs as another bec for me yet.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #103
Rock Stacker

I new to all this but could it be your BEC is too close to your reciever causing feedback?
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
I new to all this but could it be your BEC is too close to your reciever causing feedback?

Not likely...

In all my vehicles the BEC is usually mounted right next to the RX. Here's how mine is mounted in my EXMT:

A few things to ask:

Which TQ4 are you using? (AM, 2.4ghz, or 2.4ghz link?)
Is the BEC wired directly to the rear servo?

What might be happening is the front servos are drawing too much amperage for the Traxxas receiver (or really most) to handle, and is likely causing the dig and rear servos to get strange signals from the radio.

Also, just looked closer at the EXMT, and before the hexes, we're at about 249mm, so if the Super bully hexes are 20mm thick (looks to be less than that, 12-15mm maybe?) then it might work. It's actually a good thing if it's just too long because we can trim them down to fit right. I wonder if the bully knuckles will fit on the built in Cs?
Old 04-07-2011, 04:06 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

I was wondering, do the stock axles hold up well with bigger tires and rims??? Thanks!
JugRKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #106
RCC Addict

hes got 2.4 i think its the link
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Quote:
I really think there are some 1/8th scale buggy/truggy CVDs we can modify, but nothing ever shows dimensions, you just have to guess based on the track width and center bulkhead size.
Look in the twin force section at the stickies. There is a list of 1/8 CVs and their respective measurements. You never know you might find something to fit.

Kieren
Aussie Nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 PM   #108
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Nerd View Post
Look in the twin force section at the stickies. There is a list of 1/8 CVs and their respective measurements. You never know you might find something to fit.

Kieren
I'll check that out, thanks for this info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
hes got 2.4 i think its the link
It's the 2.4 TQ4 Link - Till I can spring for an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugRKnoT View Post
I was wondering, do the stock axles hold up well with bigger tires and rims??? Thanks!
Yes the stock axles hold up suprisingly well with the bigger wheels... though I havn't added any additional weigh to them yet, so we shall see.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 PM   #109
RCC Addict

Default Heart Surgery Complete!!! - 6 Hour's later Blah

Well, it took me a solid 6 hours of time that I should have spent packing and sleeping but I got it all put together as nice as i know how to.

So this is what's stacked in there.

1 - 1/10 Sidewinder Sport
2 - CC BEC
1 - RX
1 - Micro Servo W/Dig Switch

And, no more glitching. My conclusion is that the front servos were pulling too much juice causing the system to flake out. Dig Servo, Lack of Power...etc...

Now, I slap a 3S in her and hold on we are off to the races.... I need to add some weight to the front however. If I put it in 4WS and gun it On the carpet, the front inner wheel lifts about 5 inches off the ground as I drive in circles... I know that will fix it's self once i get the front axle Clocked properly.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-07-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 AM   #110
RCC Addict

Default CVD Match Up List Start...

I'm going to start a list of possible axle shaft replacements. Once they are confirmed I will color them in Green. I checked the Kosho section but those are all dog bone's that might fit.

Note: If you find something that works or might work with or without modification, PM me with the PART NUMBER and URL and I'll add it to the list.

Measurments are from the inside end of the dog bone to the center of the pivot pall. that way if you find a CVD that works, then it's just a matter of fitting bearings and new knuckles.

Stock
------------------------------------
Short Side Dog Bone - 87.5 mm
Long Side Dog Bone - 122 mm

Diameter = 5.8 mm (seats in a 6x10x3 mm bearing)

Short

Long

Might Work
Super Bully RC4WD XVD - Part Number Z-S0063 - http://store.rc4wd.com/Super-Bully-A...VD_p_1049.html

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-08-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:29 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

I think this is a good idea, although, the tough thing is going to be finding cvds that have this kind of end (for the locker.) Most CVD's that might be long enough I've seen have dogbone ends on the differential side.

With the dogbone end, that's not a bad thing, we just have to grind it flat to sit in the locker (and get the right diameter to seat in the bearing, or get bearings that fit and seat in the tubes.)

I'd like to find some that aren't $80 for a set of 4 that we can try and cut and grind.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #112
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think this is a good idea, although, the tough thing is going to be finding cvds that have this kind of end (for the locker.) Most CVD's that might be long enough I've seen have dogbone ends on the differential side.

With the dogbone end, that's not a bad thing, we just have to grind it flat to sit in the locker (and get the right diameter to seat in the bearing, or get bearings that fit and seat in the tubes.)

I'd like to find some that aren't $80 for a set of 4 that we can try and cut and grind.
A temporary mod you can do to increas the stearing by about 3-5 degrees is, take the axle cup and gring about 2mm off the end of it and then use a cone dremmel bit and grind off the inner sidewall about .5-.75mm. Thid will almost put yourknuckle maxed out against the axle.

Be carefull you dont take too much off.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #113
Rock Stacker

We need to get a "Brand Specific Tech" section put up...
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! My EXMT as the other guy said lol, should be arriving anytime today! EXciting. Got a whole list of stuff to do to it from this thread thanks alot!

Yes the stock axles hold up suprisingly well with the bigger wheels... though I havn't added any additional weigh to them yet, so we shall see.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #115
Pebble Pounder

I also agree with Big E, there should be a brand specific tech thread for these. Those of you with some more experience should send a moderator a pm or email??? Just an idea...
Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM   #116
RCC Addict

Adam i have an rtx-27 with cvds they might work it has a cvd end on one end and a bog bone on the other ill bring it with me this weekend
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Ill buy that TQ4 when ya want to upgrade
dezrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM   #118
RCC Addict

Quote:
I also agree with Big E, there should be a brand specific tech thread for these. Those of you with some more experience should send a moderator a pm or email??? Just an idea...
I'm taking her to a comp on Sunday Before I hit the road. I think it will handle very well. But once I get a comp impression of her, I'll PM one of the mods and see if they would atleast add and Exceed Crawler Section since all the Exceed Crawlers apear rather identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
Adam i have an rtx-27 with cvds they might work it has a cvd end on one end and a bog bone on the other ill bring it with me this weekend
Bring them with you so I can measure them. It they fit, it would just be a matter of makeing a flat spot on one end to fit in the dif. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrik View Post
Ill buy that TQ4 when ya want to upgrade
i use the TQ4 for my SCT at the moment and my wife uses it for he mini but when I do upgrade, she'll get the DX3E and the TQ4 will be out the door so I'll let you know. It will be a while I'm sure.

Quote:
Thanks! My EXMT as the other guy said lol, should be arriving anytime today! EXciting. Got a whole list of stuff to do to it from this thread thanks alot!
If you have an questions, feel free to post up or PM me. I'll answer if I can. Best advice it to make a build thread and post pictures with the questions. A picture is worth a 1000 words they say.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Default Product Idea

This is something I've been working on to satisfy a couple of functions.

The ability to:
- duel servos on one axle
- 1 servo and 1 ESC on each axle W BEC mounted on the brace
- true 4 link suspension
- add additional bracing/strength for the axle

The key to making these plastic axle more durable(not that they aren't already solid as is) I think is to brace the axle. This will give you 3 solid mounting points. One on each end of the axle an using the old 3 Link mount for the front to rear brace. I've notices in my make shift set up this does a couple of things. It helps limit axle and trans oscillation and flex due to the 3 link puling on the trans and the torque from the motor putting power to the ground. essentially pulling the axle components in 3 different directions while it's operating. This isn't a huge deal when running it stock. But when you add more power and heavier/bigger wheels, it starts to become extremal noticeable.

The components will be made of 1/4 in delrin for maximum durability.

The only modification you will have to make on the axle is to cut off the existing servo mounts.

Parts you will need are:
2-servo plates
1-pack of setscrews for the links
4- short rod ends

The Kit would come with:
-1 bracket plate
-2 bracket mounting plates
-3 3x6mm Spacers
-1 3link brace
-all hardware to put it together
-1 long delrin rode for run from the servo to the knuckle for single servo setup.
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

When do you think this "kit" go into production ?
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote