Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #141
RCC Addict

saw that thing go and it goes good for having a lot of clod stall

and he broke it after a 6 foot far all i heard is a lound thud and then it drove away with 3 tires
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2011, 08:14 PM   #142
RCC Addict

These photos are courtesy of Big Diesel(www.GSRCRC.com) and J-Slick(www.eparccrawlers.com). If you visit these Forms I go by SGC(Start Gate Crasher) in memory of my first comp, first course run... I'm sure you get the idea.

Featuring the the Exceed Madtorque Crawler.

My over all impression, with the correct setup, this thing will be highly competitive. It feels lighter then the average Super when you hold them in hand in hand. Actual weight will come once I get to Colorado and have access to my scale.

She handled extremely well considering how she started out of the box, too much flex, small wheels, and weak electronics. But I now have a starting point for the fine tuning process to start.

For a first timer, I feel I did quite well. I didn't tally up my total score but I will let you know a soon as it comes in.

On the final course of the day I ate up so much time trying to make it through the 2nd gate I had to make a mad dash to see how many gates I could actually clear before the time ran out. Needless to say, I powered though a gate that bridged a 6FT droop and I miscalculated what the effects would be... needless to say, 3 or 4 flips as it bounced down the slops and landed with a broken axle stub and on of my modified C's Cracked. Not too bad for the damage though if you really think about it. that's maybe $8 in parts shipped. That wasn't the only bad fall she had in the day so I'm rather impressed with the durability.

To Do:

1) Softer/duel stage foams in the "Super Panther Leopards" They were too hard and they wouldn't bite and conform to the rocks like they were meant to.

2) Play with the shock oil weight and different spring rates, it just felt a touch too stiff

3) Duel USE(add one more CC Sidewinder Sport)

4) Stronger Servos for the front and a second 400oz for the rear.

5) Finish my aluminum axle stub shims for the 1/8 buggy hex for added strength

6) Finish Clocking the front C's

Well, tomorrow I hit the road for the long haul to Colorado. See ya ll in a few weeks.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM   #143
RCC Addict

Lookin good at the comp man, bummer about the broken stub but at least it's a cheap easy fix.

Be safe on the drive
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #144
Pebble Pounder

Man that sucks lol, well ya play hard you break hard lol looks great though!!
JugRKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
saw that thing go and it goes good for having a lot of clod stall

and he broke it after a 6 foot far all i heard is a lound thud and then it drove away with 3 tires

Calvin, you never have any constructive information. It feels like you are always bashing what Adam is doing. I think you are missing the whole point. Sorry for hijacking the thread. It did very well on its first comp. Like everything we do build it, break it, make it better. I was very impressed with what the super experiment was able to do with some hard work and inventive thinking.

John
Jslick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #146
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw27x View Post
...then it drove away with 3 tires

Actually I picked it up and carried it. I didn't drive it away, there's no point the time was up.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:13 AM   #147
Pebble Pounder

Gotta love those haters out there. It could out crawl any "name brand" crawler out there and just because its not name brand it would still just be "OK". Gotta love it!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #148
Pebble Pounder

Ive been playing with the suspension setup on mine, because while it looks cool to put a tire on its sidewall i just have a feeling it's gonna hurt ya in the long run.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #149
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugRKnoT View Post
Ive been playing with the suspension setup on mine, because while it looks cool to put a tire on its sidewall i just have a feeling it's gonna hurt ya in the long run.
As the OP says, you have to limit the articulation, the amount that it is capable out of the box is too much. Try to limit it so that you can just barely get the height of one of the tires under one wheel.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:30 PM   #150
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey racer View Post
As the OP says, you have to limit the articulation, the amount that it is capable out of the box is too much. Try to limit it so that you can just barely get the height of one of the tires under one wheel.
I have mine limited to about 8 inches of articulation and that felt like it was plenty. Just need softer springs and perhaps oil.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #151
Pebble Pounder

looking at upping the rims and tires, or maybe just the tires? any 2.8 tires that are larger than the stock one? or will you HAVE to cut n shut some?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:22 PM   #152
Pebble Pounder

also with dual servos on the front...would you have to get a different radio?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #153
Rock Stacker

with the dual servos you dont need a new radio.. you just "Y" the leads from the RX... But would strongly recomend running a BEC for the 2 servos if your thinking of running rear steer.. the more servos you put on the ESC it will limit the voltage going to them and the motors.. With a BEC the voltage is pulled directly from the battery bypassing the ESC.. At least thats what I've been able to find out..
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 04:15 AM   #154
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugRKnoT View Post
looking at upping the rims and tires, or maybe just the tires? any 2.8 tires that are larger than the stock one? or will you HAVE to cut n shut some?
If you want to up the tire size without cutting and shutting i would go with at least a 3.2 rim so its comp legal, decent tire options and the IMX Rubicons seam to work well, or in the 40 series(3. there are some panther plow boys tires and the Moab xl. Cheep plastic rims will usually need narrowed. Theres nothing wrong with running wide tires, its really up to personal preference. If you do run wide, its important to get rims that have a deep offset to keep the pivot point of the wheel close to the knuckle center.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-16-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #155
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
with the dual servos you don't need a new radio.. you just "Y" the leads from the RX... But would strongly recommend running a BEC for the 2 servos if your thinking of running rear steer.. the more servos you put on the ESC it will limit the voltage going to them and the motors.. With a BEC the voltage is pulled directly from the battery bypassing the ESC.. At least thats what I've been able to find out..
Thats correct, the stock esc handles 3 servos surprisingly well but you do notice a drop in power to the servos with each new one you add. I have 2 BEC's on my rig one for the two front servos and one for the rear servo, huge difference in power. Ideally you'll also want to run 2ESC for best power output to each motor as well.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-16-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #156
Rock Stacker

Hey so did you make it here to good old Colorado?
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #157
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post
Hey so did you make it here to good old Colorado?
I should be there wed after noon i stopped to visit family for a few days on the way past my home town.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #158
Pebble Pounder

IM not really planning on running rear steer just wanting some better turning up front, so do i still need the bec for just 2 servos up front? also if so could someone email a wiring diagram please? my email is jugrknot@yahoo.com thanks.....
Old 04-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #159

I use a Castle 10amp BEC (adjustable up to 10a, using a Castle Link cable. Default is something like 4 or 5 amps out of the package) on my MaxStone 8, and only have one servo. I upgraded to a higher torque servo, and shortly after smoked my stock ESC (which Exceed will happily replace...if they EVER get them back in stock...). Did the ESC burn-up due to the increased demand from the servo? I dunno, but if the servo's amp draw was the prob, it shouldn't be again. Anyway, the Castle Creations 10amp BEC comes with a wiring diagram to follow. I followed the diagram which still runs power to the servo THRU the receiver, which some more experienced guys say you shouldn't do. Point is: Castle Creations 10amp BEC for about 25 bucks, and comes with diagram...you WILL notice a power increase to your servo.
mentolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #160
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man. Since you have a maxstone 8, do you know if any of the parts are interchangable with the mad torque? Also one more question, what is the rim size on the maxstone 8? i was looking at just buying some rims and tires from it for my torque...