Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Experiment... :&

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Super Experiment... :&

I picked up an Exceed Madtourque Crawler from www.nitrorcx.com to toy with for fun. I don't understand how they can sell these that cheep and it not be Crap... So I'm going to find out just how good they are. That and I like messing with the stuff that isn’t so popular.

It should be here on Monday so I can start the testing and modification process.

Thanks to www.RCPCrawlers.com I've got a set of 40 Series Axial Wheels on the way. I might have to narrow them a touch, I'm thinking down to 2-3 Inches but we will see. The strange thing is that RCP called me today to ask what color anodizing my rig was going to have???? Not sure what that has to do with anything but that's cool, just need my wheels.

I plan on taking a few set of Panther leopards and adding a section to them so that they fit on the 40 Series wheel. I totally suck at cut N shut so I haven’t gotten the tires just yet. I want to use them for the super soft side wall then tune it internally with like a triple rate foam. Say, 1In hard, 2-3 inch Medium, 1 Inch super Soft and see how it works. I might see if www.crawlerinovations.com can do a special request for me. I love dealing with those guise, nothing but top notch work.

That's the Start... If the Mad Torque sucks then I will be getting a set of super bully axles.

To top it off, there will be a super ABdesigns chassis born or upsized... V84x4 requested my 4VP v3 chassis to be super sized for this super shafty build. It's looking prety sick - Twin Freak Super Shafty - RCCrawler.com Bulletin Board The next step is to take his input and make it even better... or I have another idea up my sleave, we shall see... perhaps I just have to buld 2 supers.... yeah, then my wife would devorce me for sure.

Till the ups man arives.... out.

Current Specifications:
---------------------------------
2 x Venom Fireball Mod 55t
4 x Hobby king 200oz servos
1 x Holms Hobbies BRXL
1 x dig a magig
2 x CC BEC

DX6i 6CH for dig/4WS
10T 48P RC4WD Pinion
Axial 40 Series beadlocks Narrowes to 1 3/4 inches
Panther Leapords Enlarged Cut-N-Shut
Custom Chassis
Vanqush Blue Gear Lube

WB - 18in
TW - 13 1/2in
Clearance at front of chassis 4 3/4in

Weight 7lbs 6oz (Next weigh in after current modifications.)

Last edited by Abavuso; 11-10-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 08:54 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Looks like we got us a small contingent of Mad Torquers coming up

For me it was the challenge of taking something "not that hot" and making it something better. A couple no cost / low cost mods and my rig is great.

FYI, you might want to get a stronger servo, the stock servo is weak and can't move the stock tires that well in a bind.
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

So I contacted CrawlerPro about the chassis and topper he designed for his permission to use his design. From his file, I've changed it a touch for my liking. I'm not sure if I'm going the rout just yet, but just wanted to toss up the Idea.

With 6.5in wheels, it should give me 3 inched clearance at the belly, and 17inch wheel Base.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:31 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Hey,good luck with everything!..I bought the maxstone 8 and so far dumped over $1000 into it so it's fun to take RTR and turn it into what you want.hope you enjoy your build.
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 AM   #5
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm curious to see the sizes on the gears and shafts. A super needs beef, no smaller than 1:8 scale buggy size stuff. Looks to have good clearance under the diffs.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
RCC Addict

First thing I'm going to do is picture's and sizes for comparison sake. It does have dog bones so I will need to locate some CVD's to fit this rig. Well see what I can squeak out of the stock parts first then move on to modifications. My only consern is the plasic housings not holding up.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default First Items

Well, I got my wheels from RCP in the mail today and 2 free axial blue wide lock rings... that was nice of them, now I have to buy the other two to make the rest match... good marketing

Perhaps the rest will be here tomarrow... it was supose to come today, but it didn't!!!!

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
Well, I got my wheels from RCP in the mail today and 2 free axial blue wide lock rings... that was nice of them, now I have to buy the other two to make the rest match... good marketing

Perhaps the rest will be here tomarrow... it was supose to come today, but it didn't!!!!

WOW..those rings are SICK man!!!
GREEDY GENIUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I have been thoroughly impressed with mine for the price since I got it. It needs a little work, but what kit doesn't?

I've got 1/4 scale servos coming, rear steer kit, aluminum shocks, and a punk dig. I plan to do a full tear down rebuild to show what the internals look like.

Question for you though: Why do you have the upper links mount to the same place on the chassis as the lower links?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
Question for you though: Why do you have the upper links mount to the same place on the chassis as the lower links?
That's just the way I photo Shopped it. that's not the way it's actualy going to be. I need to configure the 4 link on the axle before I decid where the uppers on the chassis are going to mount. I could put some random holes in it for the uppers but if I put it through the 4 link calculator spread sheet I have, I can guarentee the best placment for the best preformance...

I just got my truck today so now I can start with the brain storming.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
RCC Addict

And we begin...

Dislikes:

1 - The C's are molded as part for the axle... Break a C Replace the whole housing. Not to mention you can't add caster without major modification.
2 - Stock Wheels aren't Comp Legal... (easy Fix)
3 - The Axle appears to be the same axle for the 1/10 scale with wide hex hubs, again not a big deal but does make the wheels wobble a touch.
4 - Not much steering angle due to not having CVD's (I'll have to track some down.
5 - The BODY!!!!
6 - Piss Poor Factory Assembly - (Rear motor's mesh was too tight out of the box, front y-link wasn't put together, missing a body clip, Had to tighten some of the screws down, one C-Was stripped,)
7 - Shock placement rubbed on the motor leads(move shocks to outside of chassis)
8 - Not Zero Ackerman for the steering.

Likes/potential

1 - It would be fairly easy to make a bracket to run duel servos on the front and rear axle.
2 - Thick 4mm wide steal gears in the trans
3 - Lots of aluminum parts
4 - 17mm hubs
5 - Stock ESC will do 2S Lipo(Can't find that it has a low voltage cut off though)
6 - $139 ARTR(just needs a receiver and radio)
7 - 4WS easy to setup and only cost another $22(Crappy servo though)
8 - Most replacment parts are $4 or less

Over all, you get what you pay for, an inexpensive crawler to tinker on with lots of potential IMO. not to mention a lot of the parts look strangely similar to clod and even Axial... Hummm research time.

What I've done so far.

1 - Mounted the shocks on the outside for the chassis and adjusted to limit the flex.
2 - 4WS with my Traxxas TQ 4 channel radio. Front Steer Normal, Rear steer on the 3 pos toggle. It works but you only have all the way left, strait or all the way right.

VIDEO with 4WS

3 - moved the drag link in one hole on the steering for slightly better steering.

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-23-2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Default First Issue

So i noticed when I was examining the drive train that the long half of the axle was oscillating as it rotated causing the transmission and everything to twist slightly and make a clicking noise come from their transmission. Mind you, I've only driven on the carpet so far.

Called tech support and they told me to take it apart and find the problem and they would send me free replacement parts.

Well, I've narrow it down to the Long axle side of the axle and the following parts. Axle - doesn't seam bent but doesn't look perfectly round on the diff side, Diff - the long axle is really tough to put in where's the short axle slides in and right out, The bearings - they appear fine but what the heck it's worth a shot, The axle tube - if the axle tub is bent or improperly formed then it will cause this issue.

I'm having this issue with the front and rear axle... Hum

While i have the axles out, I'm going to see if I can locate some CVD's to fit this bad boy. Based off this measurement, if you know of something that might fit, let me know. I have no doubt that the gears can handle the abuse... but the housing, i'm not so sure... we will find out soon .

Last but not least, I got the Pro-line Moab on my Axial 40 series wheels... they are freaking huge.... I'm going to run it like this till my panther's get here so I can narrow the wheel and cut-n-shut the panthers.

Last edited by Abavuso; 03-23-2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
So i noticed when I was examining the drive train that the long half of the axle was oscillating as it rotated causing the transmission and everything to twist slightly and make a clicking noise come from their transmission. Mind you, I've only driven on the carpet so far.

Called tech support and they told me to take it apart and find the problem and they would send me free replacement parts.

Well, I've narrow it down to the Long axle side of the axle and the following parts. Axle - doesn't seam bent but doesn't look perfectly round on the diff side, Diff - the long axle is really tough to put in where's the short axle slides in and right out, The bearings - they appear fine but what the heck it's worth a shot, The axle tube - if the axle tub is bent or improperly formed then it will cause this issue.

I'm having this issue with the front and rear axle... Hum

While i have the axles out, I'm going to see if I can locate some CVD's to fit this bad boy. Based off this measurement, if you know of something that might fit, let me know. I have no doubt that the gears can handle the abuse... but the housing, i'm not so sure... we will find out soon .

Last but not least, I got the Pro-line Moab on my Axial 40 series wheels... they are freaking huge.... I'm going to run it like this till my panther's get here so I can narrow the wheel and cut-n-shut the panthers.

I had considered making a steel axle tube that uses AX10 C-Hubs and Knuckles to replace the plastic tubes, but the tough thing is milling out the end for the C-hubs and welding on a flange to match up to the gear case.

I've been looking into CVDs as well, but in the end we will probably have to grind the ends of a 1:8 buggy cvd to match the flats of the locker.

I've got the moabs too, but they are about 4 years old, ready to be scavenged for sidewalls, but haven't decided on what tread I am going to go with.

I am not having the same issue with the axles, so that is strange. I will have to check them out when I take them apart to make sure though.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:20 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Thumbs up

Diggin the tires and axial rock rims! Going to need a beefy servo to push those monster tires around
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Most of this crawler is also used on the Nanda Pathfinder.
Goes by another name in the states.
Portal hubs are also available for these axles.

http://www.nandaracing.cn/en/cpzs/ca...finder_js.html
reden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reden View Post
Most of this crawler is also used on the Nanda Pathfinder.
Goes by another name in the states.
Portal hubs are also available for these axles.

http://www.nandaracing.cn/en/cpzs/ca...finder_js.html

The nanda pathfinder is also based on the 1/10 Mad Crawler by exceed. Not sure who did the original design work, but the improvements to the Mad Torque are definitely appreciated (especially the steel gears.)

Looks like a lot of the vehicles are the same as what Exceed offers, so I assume one is a knock off of the other, or they share parts molds, etc.

Last edited by monkeyracer; 03-24-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

Axles look little bitty.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
Axles look little bitty.
That was what I thought when I pulled them out. My Venom Creeper axles looked more durable. The Venom CVD's almost fit, they ere about 10mm too short... I've been looking at some clod CVD's and I think they might just fit.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by abavuso View Post
my venom creeper axles looked more durable. The venom cvd's almost fit, they ere about 10mm too short...
epic fail!
Old 03-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Have a look here.
Alarming simmillar but in metal.

http://www.teamnewage.com/instruction_manual.php
reden is offline   Reply With Quote