Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed Mad Torque.. Blue collar mods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #21
RCC Addict

I had an Idea yesterday that would have saved me a boat load of money...

Pick up some 40 series, or 3.2 wheels(non bead locks are cheaper about $30) you'll need to narrow the wheels(bolt it to a drill spin it while lightly touching it what a box cutter to cut about 1-3 inches out of it glue it together with super glue just to hold it in place then use a 2part epoxy to make it permanent), oder on more exceed tire and foam(should run you $10 shipped. get some super glue and CI-2000. Cut open the tire and enlarge. Go Slow, use a touch of glue in one small spot at a time. once the tire is together take the CI-2000 and finish off the seam in the inside of the tire.

You've got some cheep bigger wheels. If you can wait till I get settled in Colorado, I can dontae my exceed tires because I don't plan on using them since I've already invested in new tires.
Abavuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2011, 08:16 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
I had an Idea yesterday that would have saved me a boat load of money...

Pick up some 40 series, or 3.2 wheels(non bead locks are cheaper about $30) you'll need to narrow the wheels(bolt it to a drill spin it while lightly touching it what a box cutter to cut about 1-3 inches out of it glue it together with super glue just to hold it in place then use a 2part epoxy to make it permanent), oder on more exceed tire and foam(should run you $10 shipped. get some super glue and CI-2000. Cut open the tire and enlarge. Go Slow, use a touch of glue in one small spot at a time. once the tire is together take the CI-2000 and finish off the seam in the inside of the tire.

You've got some cheep bigger wheels. If you can wait till I get settled in Colorado, I can dontae my exceed tires because I don't plan on using them since I've already invested in new tires.
And, I've done tons of "cut and shut" tires before, so I will do that for free if you would like. If you get the wheels, IC-2000 tire glue, and the extra pair of tires from abavuso, I will make you some larger tires out of the stock ones.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Man you guys are Kick @ss..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abavuso View Post
I might just take you up on the offer guess i"ll have to see if I can wait that long..

Money I'm greatful for the offer and I might take you up on it but I'm one of those guys that likes to try doing something at least once (gotten me in trouble more then once) But I might be asking you for some tips..

Well My wife has been gone and I've had some progress on the rig.. But she took the camera.. so once I get the photos I'll post em up..
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:05 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big E View Post

I might just take you up on the offer guess i"ll have to see if I can wait that long..

Money I'm greatful for the offer and I might take you up on it but I'm one of those guys that likes to try doing something at least once (gotten me in trouble more then once) But I might be asking you for some tips..

Well My wife has been gone and I've had some progress on the rig.. But she took the camera.. so once I get the photos I'll post em up..

No problem, let me know.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:

PM me your shipping address and I'll mail them out to you as soon as I find them in all the packed stuff if you still want them then. I'll be setteling in about the 20th and hopefuly the moving truck won't be far behind. I have to take a few detours on my way there.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

So I took Abavuso dual servo idea and changed it up alittle bit..

The bracket is not finished yet still need to clean it up.. I'm hoping to be able to stick the BEC for the 2 servos under the bracket between the servos.. Also mount the battery on the axle..
Old 04-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I'm likeing that, what stock did you start with ?
XtrmTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:11 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Alum. angle from Lowes.. about 1/8" thick
Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Heres the finished piece.. (almost) after mount found out I need to notch to fit around gearbox) .. Still need another servo..

Took it out for its maiden voyage after ther new braket.. And had some issues.. my left front shock blew out all its oil.. and my front axle made a clunking noise then locked up... Awesome...
Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #30
RCC Addict

Nice fab work on the front servo mount

Did you grease the gears in the diff?
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
RCC Addict

sounds like gears going (like the xr10) or its a bearing
asw27x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Took it apart.. Couldn't really find anything all the gears looked great axles were fine.. greased the gears all up and put it back together.. Works great..
Old 04-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Took it apart.. Couldn't really find anything all the gears looked great axles were fine.. greased the gears all up and put it back together.. Works great..
Ya gotta lick it, before you stick it
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

I thought it was only 3 licks to the center of a toosie pop....
Old 04-10-2011, 08:23 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Make sure the set screw is still in your pinion. I had that happen to me and the set screw was the culprit.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Heres the finished piece.. (almost) after mount found out I need to notch to fit around gearbox) .. Still need another servo..
Took it out for its maiden voyage after ther new braket.. And had some issues.. my left front shock blew out all its oil.. and my front axle made a clunking noise then locked up... Awesome...
Love the bracket... one thing that I couldn't tell from the picture. If you didn't use the 3 link mount to help brace the bracket I would do that to make sure it doesn't twist or break those tiny servo mount posts... That's a lot of different forces pushing and pulling, servos the upper links etc...

also, see if you can make a piece to mount on the end of the bracket that screws into the hole in either end of the axle so that you are also using your servo mount to prevent the trans from flexinf when all that force is on that one Axle tube.

Just a thought.

Last edited by Abavuso; 04-10-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

looking good man, im looking into bigger tires too, i dont really wanna change the rim size any ideas for just bigger tires on the stock rims? or where to find some? thanks.
JugRKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

The stock size is 2.8".. its a common Buggy size, so your local hobby shop (LHS) might have them but check online.. the problem if you want to start comptions the min required size is a 3.2" wheel... which is also a common monster truck size.. If you dont plan on doing comps then I would suggust finding a set of soft nubby style tires probably 3.2 size or the 4.0 cutting the sidewall off the stock rims and gluing the softer nubby tread to the stock sidewalls.. also would narrow stock rims to around 1"- 1 1/4" width.. along with new foam it'll give you a taller skinnier tire.. At least thats what I was planning on doing before some of these other guys on this thing got me thinking about comping my rig.. damn peer preasure
Old 04-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Cool, need to get you or ab to get me one of those servo mounts fabbed up;)
JugRKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

hobbypartz is offline   Reply With Quote