Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread

"As I was saying above, the lower links need to be better triangulated. I will be ordering material to make links very soon, and will make a new skid plate that will allow better triangulation to keep the axle in control.

Lastly, I will extend the wheelbase out to 17.5 so that at full compression the wheelbase will be at the USRCCA legal maximum 18."

Can you go into greater detail on how you made the wheelbase longer
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #82
I wanna be Dave

This project has been sitting on the shelf for quite awhile, and is in no condition to run. I have a new chassis for it, and some new links, but still need to do a lot of work before this can get moving again. (Tires, links, body panels, skid plate, electronics mounting, etc)

As far as extending the wheelbase, I am just making longer, larger links. I am using 1/2" Delrin rod cut to the right length, chamfered on the ends, with large rod ends and M5 set screws.

As far as coming to see it, send me a PM with your contact info, and we can find some time to meet up. I'm in school full time and work 40 hours, so free time is at a minimum, but don't mind helping out.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #83
Pebble Pounder

Am thinking of an exceed for my first crawler and then upgrade to super bully's when the exceeds break and new wheels tires and motors
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

monkeyracer, This is a very big help to a newbie or anyone for that matter with a MT.
jsattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #85

Great write-up. Hope you can get some time for another update with pics and video. I have had my MT for 2 years and want some cheap mods to out crawl my bro-in-laws MT.
booneTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #86

GREAT review!! Helped a bunch. I just dropped the hammer and purchased a Mad Torque, no dreams of competition, just tooling around the back yard and wife's flower beds. Thanks again for the very detailed review.
wesleyrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

What ever happened with her this project?
240zron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Basically the local (and national) super class died out, and this is sitting on a shelf in my spare room. Really, with no motivation to finish it, it will probably stay like that for a while.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:58 PM   #89
RCC Addict

Super class is back on the rise.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #90

I recently received my Mad Torque artr. I have two different radios; Airtronics MT-4 and a Spektrum DX4C. I had a four channel receiver on hand for the DX4C radio so I decided to use that one. As I have received this second hand, it seems to be entirely stock. I have been trying to research what needs to be done and what parts I need to convert this crawler to 4ws. Initially, I heard that I needed a Y harness, additional servo and the 4ws linkage conversion kit. I have all that on hand now. However, after searching for a video on YouTube, I heard about a servo reversing harness as well.

Do I need the servo reversing harness? Especially, if I have a 4 channel receiver for my DX4C radio? I also saw another video where the truck had different steering modes (i.e. 4w coordinated and crab steering). What is required to accomplish this? Can the steering modes be selectable from 2ws, 4ws (coordinated steering) and Crab steering?

I need some help from one of you crawler experts
P2racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:50 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2racing View Post
I recently received my Mad Torque artr. I have two different radios; Airtronics MT-4 and a Spektrum DX4C. I had a four channel receiver on hand for the DX4C radio so I decided to use that one. As I have received this second hand, it seems to be entirely stock. I have been trying to research what needs to be done and what parts I need to convert this crawler to 4ws. Initially, I heard that I needed a Y harness, additional servo and the 4ws linkage conversion kit. I have all that on hand now. However, after searching for a video on YouTube, I heard about a servo reversing harness as well.

Do I need the servo reversing harness? Especially, if I have a 4 channel receiver for my DX4C radio? I also saw another video where the truck had different steering modes (i.e. 4w coordinated and crab steering). What is required to accomplish this? Can the steering modes be selectable from 2ws, 4ws (coordinated steering) and Crab steering?

I need some help from one of you crawler experts

With the 4 channel, you won't need the Y-harness. You would plug the rear servo into one of the other channels. People using a y-harness are using a 2 or 3 channel radio and aren't able to control the rear steering independent of the front. So with your set-up, you will be able to have independent control of the rear steering to do the modes you saw (2ws, 4ws, crab).
I am not familiar with setting up either of those radios, but there are plenty of people on this forum with that experience that could help.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:47 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
With the 4 channel, you won't need the Y-harness. You would plug the rear servo into one of the other channels. People using a y-harness are using a 2 or 3 channel radio and aren't able to control the rear steering independent of the front. So with your set-up, you will be able to have independent control of the rear steering to do the modes you saw (2ws, 4ws, crab).
I am not familiar with setting up either of those radios, but there are plenty of people on this forum with that experience that could help.
Thanks...

So, it sounds like I have more than enough parts to make this modification. Now, I just got to get the technical info of how to pull it all off.
P2racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:20 PM   #93

I've thought about trying to figure out how to shorten the wheel base, so I could run a blazer body with MOA axles. Would deff have to fab a new chassis as well.
Micro_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #94

Silly question, but does the mad torque actually have durable metal gears installed from the factory? I am just confirming like from somebody that owns a mad torque
Spencecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #95
RCC Addict

I don't know if the mad torque comes with metal gears. I just broke a gear in my rear housing with mad torque gears. Max torque copied the berg gears, but made the wider and weak cheap steal gears.

These axles axle's are very strong.

Dlux axles. Revised and lower cost!
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:20 PM   #96
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencecrawler View Post
Silly question, but does the mad torque actually have durable metal gears installed from the factory? I am just confirming like from somebody that owns a mad torque
Yes metal gears and look quite beefy. Idk about under holmes power but stock motors wouldn't break them I dont believe

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
heavychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:55 AM   #97
Rock Crawler

i couldn't keep the middle gear from breaking at the pin hole. i read somewhere about this issue and don't know how they solved the problem. i've been modifying the gear with my own shaft and it seems to be holding up fine. the other gears are holding up with no issues.

the only thing left of my mad torque are the transmissions, but this is what i wanted,

sumquak is offline   Reply With Quote