Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need advice on wheel and tire choice!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Need advice on wheel and tire choice!!!

Working on building a super.
I'm not sure if I want to run a Sedona or a rover tire though?

I've seen both very commonly and am not sure how different the tire is versus a 2.2 sized tire?

Should I stuff it with a similar foam setup to my 2.2 or is there some tricks you guys can give me to help me make a decision on foams and tires?

I purchased a superbully roller that is coming with some sedonas on tech 5 wheels.
From what I've seen, the tech 5 wheel is smaller than an hpi blast. So I'm assuming the tire will probably end up being somewhere in the 6.5"-7" range?
I know it has 23 side lugs, but that's about all I know as of now!

Do most people prefer a taller wheel/tire combo?
Or will a 3.8" wheel and tire combo work just as well?

I am obsessed with the hpi blast wheel!
I know that I will end up building a set of narrowed blasts with a larger tire as well! I just don't know what tire I want to use though?

Any and all thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks

Marc
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Working on building a super.
I'm not sure if I want to run a Sedona or a rover tire though?

I've seen both very commonly and am not sure how different the tire is versus a 2.2 sized tire?

Should I stuff it with a similar foam setup to my 2.2 or is there some tricks you guys can give me to help me make a decision on foams and tires?

I purchased a superbully roller that is coming with some sedonas on tech 5 wheels.
From what I've seen, the tech 5 wheel is smaller than an hpi blast. So I'm assuming the tire will probably end up being somewhere in the 6.5"-7" range?
I know it has 23 side lugs, but that's about all I know as of now!

Do most people prefer a taller wheel/tire combo?
Or will a 3.8" wheel and tire combo work just as well?

I am obsessed with the hpi blast wheel!
I know that I will end up building a set of narrowed blasts with a larger tire as well! I just don't know what tire I want to use though?

Any and all thoughts and opinions are appreciated!

Thanks

Marc
The bigger tires have their ups and downs. I had my super at nats and am running 7 inch Sedonas on the tech 5 wheel. The obstacles at nats werent extreme enough for the bigger tires to show their superiority. I had the same concerns you do especiall when I got to nats and saw all the bigger tired supers thinking I was doomed. I placed 11th after a big fall which broke a rod end which then led to electronics failure as the upper link arced out the speed controls. So I DNF'ed that course and was able to brake the plane on my last course. With all that said I recentley picked up a used set of 8 inch rovers on tech 5 wheels to compare them. I think it depends on the type of terrain you guys normally comp on. Hope that helps kinda.
winkscrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I switched from a 6.5" pro built rover to a 7" ted built sedona (both on 3.2 ytown wheels) and now on to narrowed blast wheels with a 8"+ rover. I think a set of rovers, sedonas, and pins would be best, but unless you have straight up Chavez money, IMO, Rovers are the best all around tire in any size.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkscrawler View Post
The bigger tires have their ups and downs....The obstacles at nats werent extreme enough for the bigger tires to show their superiority.
I agree completely. I have run 8" sedonas on my super for quite a while now and they work well in our area. I have a set of 7.25" pins in the works and had planned to run them at nats, but simply ran out of time to get them finished and broken in. So, really, it is just preference and terrain. If you have a lot of deep holes and breakovers, then a larger tire will work well....if you have a lot of steep climbs and off camber stuff, then a smaller tire will work well.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
Relaxed !

I just picked up a set of blasts over at west valley hobbies in salt lake (thanks mike ! Aka naz-t) ( workin in salt lake for the week)
And gettin ready to narrow em up for my pins I just got I'm thinkin of runnin supernova med/med foams
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sococrawler View Post
I just picked up a set of blasts over at west valley hobbies in salt lake (thanks mike ! Aka naz-t) ( workin in salt lake for the week)
And gettin ready to narrow em up for my pins I just got I'm thinkin of runnin supernova med/med foams

Your in SLC???
Did you bring your rigs?

Appreciate the info guys!
I truly feel that a rover is a better all around tire than any other.

I think I will buy a set of blasts and rovers to build a 7.5" tire just for fun.

I would imagine that our terrain will be more off camber stuff than ledges.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Relaxed !

[QUOTE=Chaotic Crawlers;3289295]Your in SLC???
Did you bring your rigs

Nah wish I could've it's a 2 day job we Lvn today unfortunately
But I'm hopin to make it to st George for the state champs deal
It was awesome last year !
Randy
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Ok here is another tire question.

Is it best to glue in some larger sidewalls like a trencher or Moab.
Or can I just stretch the tire around the rim like I've seen in YouTube videos?

Is there a positive or negative affect of either choice that you guys have seen?

Thanks again!