Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Exceed Mad Torque From Box to Rocks........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Axial High Steer Knuckle weights made easy.........

I have been planning this project for a while. After getting my sleeves from Eric, I began to see the light of day. First off you need to drill and tap the knuckles 3MM thread. If you drill just below the chamfer, it will clear the ears and not interfer with the bearing housing. Then cut the weight plates from 1/8" delrin. and mount to axial knuckles. Pick your weights and mount those to the plate. I used some 1/4 oz lead stacked. Plan to use something cleaner in the future. Made a big difference in the climbing over the edge.
Attached Images

Last edited by BentMetaL; 05-20-2012 at 05:43 PM.
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Exceed Mad Torque From Box to Rocks........

Just to add, I changed the bearing to Traxxas dust sealed bearings.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 AM   #83
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Well done!

I'm very curious... do you have a total spent on this rig?
ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Eric I didn't keep up very well but here's what I remember:

Exceed MT RTC $179 including shipping Hobbypartz
3.2 Rubicons $62
3.2 Maximizer Wheels $30
2 Ea. 55T Venom Fireball Crawler motors $35 Ebay
1/8" Delrin 12"X12" $15 +-McMaster Carr
.375 Delrin Rods $15 Ebay
Misc. nuts and screws (SS) $10 Creation Fab
Servos 4 Ea T-Pro MG 996 R $50 Hobbypartz
Servo horns $12 Hobby King
Fly Sky CT6B stick radio TX/RX $45 Hobbypartz
Ofna Hubs $9 Ebay
Traxxas Big bore shocks $35 Ebay
Losi Springs $8 Ebay
Axial High Steer Knuckles Free (gift)
Castle BEC Free (gift)
Traxxas Slash rod ends 24 Ea $12 Ebay
Misc. Building materials $30 (ext)
Everything else is handmade.

Grand Total $532 Wow!

This shows that being thrifty you can build a super on a shoestring.
After fabricating the chassis, I realized that the length was too short for 17 7/8" wheel base. So made the rear shock mount plates to extend the chassis.
I thought it looked stupid at first but now I kinda like it.
It seems that I put more than that into it.
I can't include any of my shop supplies and tools because their used on my other RC's.
Attached Images

Last edited by BentMetaL; 05-21-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Added Photo
Old 05-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #85
ekd
Quarry Creeper

I'm impressed.

We kid about being cheap SOBs, but the fact is that neither of us is afraid to spend money... we just hate wasting the stuff.

There aren't many rigs that can be called truly cost-effective... but, this is one. Kudos, Don.

Has this rig seen enough battering that you can confidently say that those sleeves will pay for themselves? Should I consider making more as trade goods? Looks like you came up with a great idea there.

I like the looks of that thing. There isn't any way that it looks like you were too careful with spending. I'm hoping it will inspire some to go for a super... they are missing out, and money doesn't always need to be the obstacle.

Again:
Old 05-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Eric, I believe the sleeves would be a great trade to anyone wanting to change hub size on any rig. I know most crawler guys don't have the ability to turn them.
As for as durability, the sleeves are the strong point of the stub axle. I've taken it out to my little test spot a couple of times and the whole rig seems to take a fall well.
I think the only weak points are axle housings. Haven't broke one yet but think the ears on the axle housing will be the first place.
The chassis fabrication was really a piece of cake once you come up with a design. I made a template and spray glued it to the 1/8" delrin and sandwiched 2 pieces with 2 sided tape. drilled all the holes and radii so both sides would be the same. Then cut it out with my Bosch saber saw.
One thing about building a super, you have plenty of room for electronics. With the long tongue on the front of the skid, I can use a full size 5000 MAH battery pack. Since I'm not comping this thing, I'm not so worried about weight. I weighs around 8 LBS.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #87
ekd
Quarry Creeper

I'm really glad to hear that. I'm happy with our trade, and I know you have the experience to understand how much time went into what appears to be only a couple buck's worth of parts.

I haven't broken a stub axle yet, so I wasn't sure whether they were too brittle, or too soft. The sleeves work to transfer the loads from bending to tensile (hence the "polish to fit" tolerances), so a soft stub is actually the most (overall) durable core for the assembly.

It is a great idea, Don. I appreciate that you chose me to make it happen. As I frequently state, I prefer educated clients... the shop stands ready if you need it.

As this job was all set up time, a small run takes very little more work than making 1 set. I'll offer them on my thread, and if they move, we'll come up with a way to cut you in for a tiny bit... to show appreciation for your early (and not cheap) trust in me.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #88
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial High Steer Knuckle weights made easy.........

This pic shows you at the joint's limit on the steering angle. What did you end up getting?
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

E, the best I can tell is about 50 DEG as you will see in the photos below. A full steer the wide tires hit the servo. I have to take a little off the range on the TX to keep it from rubbing. In the one photo you will see the Axial high steer is at its maximum steering range anyway.
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #90
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Now this is finished, are you thinking about building another? Judging from the result, it looks like you enjoy the process.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:09 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

One thing I will be doing is taking all my spare parts and build one for my grandson. Just ordered some axle housings and gear boxes. Still need to order the lockers. I think I've got everything but the wheels and tires. That will be the only real expense. Thinking about getting a Wraith. It looks like it would be a good all round camping toy.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:41 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

What do you do with those leftover bumper parts? Don't throw them away make yourself an axle stand.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #93
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Nothing goes to waste unless you say so, eh?

You'd fit right in, in my shop...
Old 06-04-2012, 06:35 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

You got that right. I save everything. You never know what you might need to make something. I usually. Make a prototype first then use the good stuff. I was a welder / pipefitter by trade and wood worker at home. I always save scrap. R&D is always fun. Lets keep it up. Hey when you going to post some crawler pics. Want to see what your building
Old 06-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #95
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
You got that right. I save everything. You never know what you might need to make something. I usually. Make a prototype first then use the good stuff. I was a welder / pipefitter by trade and wood worker at home. I always save scrap. R&D is always fun. Lets keep it up. Hey when you going to post some crawler pics. Want to see what your building
I have a few things cooking, but nothing pic ready atm.

The rest of T's parts will be here soon. M is making custom links, and sending his old stock motors. I have a couple quality cans/mags here from before my bashers went BL, I plan to de-wind his arms in stages to get a feel for what this thing will like best. Going to start with a mid size pinion, and drop turns until it hits a performance plateau, then fine tune with pinions.

R&D? If you feel like doing a little private (for now) stuff, email me.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:57 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Had my first causality with my front gear box. Nothing major, but would be worth it to replace them with some quality bearings. If this happens to you be sure ti=o clean all the old grease out because of ball bearings go everywhere. See the center shaft bearing.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2012, 01:19 AM   #97

A quick question, what did you do with the shocks? What's the length, and what did you do to the springs? I'm building my 1st MT, and wondered if the shocks were up to par? Thanks.
69z28fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28fan View Post
A quick question, what did you do with the shocks? What's the length, and what did you do to the springs? I'm building my 1st MT, and wondered if the shocks were up to par? Thanks.
First of all glad to hear your a MT builder. I removed the stock shocks to lighten up and get more turning radius. With my design the tires would rub on the shocks. I am using Traxxas Big Bore. They are lighter than the stock ones and much more smoother. The springs are from a Losi MRC. They come in a package with 3 different weights. Look on E-Bay. If you go this way be sure to mount them up side down to keep the weight low. If you plan to post on RCC start your own thread under super class crawlers so we can comment.

Last edited by BentMetaL; 07-26-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #99

Default Re: Wheels and Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHAT2011 View Post
This is what I found in the budget range of most common people: Maximizer 3.2's x2.25 wide ($15 a pair, but have to take the green ones for that price)). Imex Rubicons 3.2 ID x 7" OD 3" wide ($25 to $35 depend on the store). Got my from LHS $26 a pair. Tires are soft compound #7566.

Oh by the way the foams suck. Took the foam out and did a 16 point star cut. We will see if they work.
Hey guy, I just got my Maximizers in the mail and mounted the Rubis today like yours. The only difference I see is the offset. I ordered the 0 and yours looks like the 5 or 10. Will this make the rim sit further inside over the knuckle? I'm still going to narrow the axle width, but just wondered if the offset helps too.
69z28fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Wheels and Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69z28fan View Post
Hey guy, I just got my Maximizers in the mail and mounted the Rubis today like yours. The only difference I see is the offset. I ordered the 0 and yours looks like the 5 or 10. Will this make the rim sit further inside over the knuckle? I'm still going to narrow the axle width, but just wondered if the offset helps too.
You will be okay using the stock hexes. I have the 0 deg off set hexes. Run with it for a while and see if you need more room. If you don't go shopping for some others but you will have to adapt them.
Attached Images