RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Superclass Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/)
-   -   Servo Questions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/340675-servo-questions.html)

mudeatter 10-04-2011 03:45 PM

Servo Questions

Hey I'm new to the rc crawler world. Ive bought a 1/8 RTR Madtorque from Exceed last winter. Just bought it to play with and screw around on some local rocks. Recently I added 4ws to the crawler and my first run with it I cracked the plastic housing inside the servo that goes over the motor gear.(on the front) The original Servo was a crappy 9kg with metal gears. I figured it was because it was almost a year old and its stock and most stock everything is crappy. So I bought a 12kg servo with metal gears. Installed it on the front. My 3rd run on this new servo and I stripped one of the metal gears. Boooo. So I am to wonder, Is this all because they are cheap servos and I should invest in a better servo like hitec or something similar. Maybe with titanium Gears? Ive done some research and I see alot of guys run T-Pro just for the fact they are half the cost of Hitec. And I am curious why is it the front only? I havnt had any issues with the rear steering yet. I am currently running 2.8 tires with no weights and my rig is fairly light. Its a MOA Rig. Ive checked to make sure nothing was too tight, as far as my steering knuckles and tie rod / links. In case it matters, I am using a NIMH 6-Cell Battery Pack 7.2V 4000mah.

So would I be better off on getting a servo with:

Generic Brand Servo
  • Torque @ 6.0V: 220oz (16kg), Torque @ 4.8V: 206oz (15kg)
  • Speed @ 6.0V: .16 sec, Speed @ 4.8V: .18 sec
  • Weight: XX / XX oz
  • "J" type connector with approx. 5" wire
  • Standard size servo
Or something like this:

Savox SC-1256TG High Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo .15/277

This is the Savox SC-1256TG High Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo.

Specifications and Features:
  • Combines leading edge technology with super high 12 bit (4096) resolution and titanium gears.
  • Super light-weight.
  • Coreless motor provides high speed, incredible efficiency, and low power consumption.
  • Titanium gears ensure long life and durability.
  • The aluminum case design not only looks good but also allows for cooler and smoother operating temps.
  • Our servos are totally green – from materials to production, these servos are environmentally friendly.
  • Ideal for steering applications in 1/8 scale buggies, monster trucks and rock crawlers.
  • Dimensions(mm): 40.3x20.2x37.2
  • Weight(g):52.4
  • Speed(@4.8V sec/60): .18
  • Torque(@4.8V oz-in): 222.2
  • Speed(@6.0V sec/60): .15
  • Torque(@6.0V oz-in): 277.7
  • Gear: Titanium & Aluminum
  • Bearing: 2BB
  • Case: Aluminum
  • 25 Tooth Spline
Whats the difference between analog and digital?

How about:

Hitec HS-5645MG High Torque Metal Gear Servo
Specs & Features:
Motor Type: 3 Pole
Bearing Type: Dual Ball Bearing
Speed (4.8V/6.0V): 0.23 / 0.18
Torque oz./in. (4.8V/6.0V): 143 / 168
Torque kg./cm. (4.8V/6.0V): 10.3 / 12.1
Size in Inches: 1.59 x 0.77 x 1.48
Size in Millimeters: 40.39 x 19.56 x 37.59
Weight ounces: 2.11
Weight grams: 59.82

I am leaning towards something with Titanium Gears since I stripped the metal gears out of the last one.

Thanks for helping a Newb.