Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: DLUX super build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #501
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DLUX super build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I have a couple of bombs to drop in the Yeti section first.
Bring it, may need to add these to my link order!
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #502
RCC Addict

They look great. How much wider are you going to go? Looks like you could go at least another 1/4".
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #503
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Here are some construction pics.

First, let me show the tires. Wheels7 did an AMAZING job on these. If you ever have a tedious project that has to be perfect, he is the man for the job. There is no indentations or weird issues with these tires. The lugs line up perfect and he even did the pie cut on them. I am still in amazement over the job he did. If you need super tires or any other tires like narrow VooDoos, get with him.

Beautiful seams!

What seems!? :thumbsup:

Lookin bad arse, Tires8".. Uh, i mean Wheels7 an Erik! Go Team "I"
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #504
I wanna be Dave

Can't wait!! Those look "super" bad ass!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #505
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
They look great. How much wider are you going to go? Looks like you could go at least another 1/4".
I am going to try another 1/4" to start I think. Pretty weird how it narrowed them up so much. Its the same width wheel.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #506
Wanna get? Gotta want.

After thinking about it a bit.... I dont think I will be putting the wheels on my site. There are too many options. I think it would just be easiest to PM me and we can take it from there. So, send me a PM if youre looking for a set.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:42 AM   #507
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I worked on the foams and wheels a bit.

I went from a 1" wide wheel (same as previous) to a 1 3/16" wheel. It turned out much nicer. It is narrower than before but that is what I was looking for. I think I was a touch too wide in my previous setup but I felt that I had to run that wide to make the foams work.

A shot next to the previous setup:

A shot compared to the narrower wheel:

Old 10-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #508
Wanna get? Gotta want.

You can see in the above shot that the tires just didnt look quite right. I think some of this is just new foam and a new tire but, it bothered me. I think a lot of the reason was that the outer foam no longer had an inner to support it and shape it.

Here is what it looked like on the inside.

I put some window screen around the wheel. This should keep large rocks out and also shape the foam nicely.

All buttoned up. Much better!

Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM   #509
2013 2.2P Nat. Champion

That's cool!!!

Now if you can get a mouse to run inside each one you won't need motors.

J
SkaldidDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #510
I wanna be Dave

Transvaginal mesh
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:17 AM   #511
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkaldidDog View Post
That's cool!!!

Now if you can get a mouse to run inside each one you won't need motors.

J
Why limit yourself to a mouse when you can fit a hamster? These are big wheels mang!

Knuckle weights be done....

Old 10-31-2014, 06:20 AM   #512
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I have not taken a picture like this since the Losi Comp crawler days. I thought it was fitting with the new weight setup.

Old 10-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #513
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Apples to oranges.

The old tires are well used and have shaved sidewalls. I think I could lose an ounce or two on the new ones if I sanded the sidewalls, I am going to keep it for a bit to see how I like it. I was surprised that both weighed exactly the same.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:08 AM   #514
RCC Addict

Oh shoot! dang!
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:26 PM   #515
Rock Crawler

Pretty slick. I imagine you might be able to loose some of those slugs too. Looking forward to some vids.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #516
Quarry Creeper

New ideas are always nice to see. Hard to picture without holding the 2 so had a couple questions. How much lower does the weight hang down vs the old setup? Seems like it would be about an inch. Also with the shorter sidewall does it seem to have the same tire deflection as you're old setup say when trying to grab a ledge?
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #517
I wanna be Dave

Last I heard, a set of those new knuckle weight holders were included with every purchase of a DLUX super chassis with links. I'll be sending my money soon!!

Jk.. But seriously, I will be sending you money soon
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #518
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Pretty slick. I imagine you might be able to loose some of those slugs too. Looking forward to some vids.

I suppose you could mess with the weight a bit. In my thinking, I dont understand why you would remove any weight from the best part of the car though? I think by adding even more, even if it does not "need" it, it would be even better off by offsetting even more weight above the weights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
New ideas are always nice to see. Hard to picture without holding the 2 so had a couple questions. How much lower does the weight hang down vs the old setup? Seems like it would be about an inch. Also with the shorter sidewall does it seem to have the same tire deflection as you're old setup say when trying to grab a ledge?
On the old weights, the center of the lowest weight was 1.12" on center below the center of the knuckle. The new ones are 2.45" below or 1.33" lower. Better than double the previous

I didnt really have the car "done" till late last week so I never drove it. I took it out this weekend and put half a pack through until I broke a knuckle weight hanger and I have a rear motor stalling on climbs.

While I did drive it, I took it on a well known line that has a crazy sidehill and a really tough climb. Before, I could make the side hill 3/10 times and now its just silly. I could do the side hill with totally different approaches, blip the throttle etc,. Pretty much no way I couldnt make it. I was not able to make the climb. Brand new Sedonas in the rear are horrible (almost wish I would have just cut my old ones apart for the rear), the rear motor would stall so I had to blip the throttle whenever I was super vertical, we can all imagine how well that worked... and the tires did feel a bit off but I am not 100% sure yet. They feel like they are biting really good but I am almost positive it has that different feeling because I kept the side walls instead of shaving them. I would really like to keep those lugs if I can so I am going to fix everything and test some more. I think most would think my foam is too soft though. If you feel my old setup vs this one, they feel almost exactly the same. Pretty much as expected, the foam and tire will need the most tuning in this setup but I will be putting my trusty old set of Sedonas in the for sale section soon if that is any indicator of how well I like this new setup.

I will try and get some video next time I am out so you can see how the car reacts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Last I heard, a set of those new knuckle weight holders were included with every purchase of a DLUX super chassis with links. I'll be sending my money soon!!

Jk.. But seriously, I will be sending you money soon
I have the perfect set for you! See above! LOL
Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 AM   #519
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the perfect reply. Looking forward to read on more of your thoughts on the tire reactions. Weight setup sounds real promising. It falls right into the issue I currently have with my rig and not being very stable on a crazy sidehill.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:43 AM   #520
Wanna get? Gotta want.

No problem!

Yeah, that was my biggest concern too. Sidehills. When my rear got on a side hill and lifted say 75% of the way, it was a domino effect and it would just roll. Nothing I could do would change this. Obviously now that the only thing I have changed are the tires/wheels in the rear, it was the large sidewall and huge amounts of foam causing this issue.