RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Superclass Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/)
-   -   DLUX super build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/353682-dlux-super-build.html)

Erik D_lux 12-13-2011 05:41 PM

DLUX super build

I am really stoked to start building this car! I have been chomping at the bit for awhile now but just have not had the time to do any building. All that time has given me a lot of time to think and some time to gather parts. I have all the parts now (tires are on the way) but now just need some time....

I needed to make a bunch of delrin Berg 2.2 tubes so I thought it would be foolish to not throw these super tubes in with them to save some time.

This may be a "slow" build for me. I need to have it done for AZ on Jan 20th. I think I am finally past the point of "how much money is this going to cost me and still not even work?" :lmao: I think it will go quickly as this will just pretty much be a duplicate in many ways to 53willys build. Thanks goes out to him for doing all the figuring out on links, chassis etc,.

Here is a pic. Its not much but its a start. :mrgreen:

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/100_2608.jpg

Also looks like steering will be decent

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/100_2611.jpg

I will try to post up later when I have more time.

JeremyH 12-13-2011 07:45 PM

Looks like a nice start!

It's funny that you consider before Jan 20th a slow build......that would be a fast one for me. :lol:

Almighty Malach 12-13-2011 07:57 PM

I see offset cases, what are your plans for servos?

DRCrawlGood 12-13-2011 08:18 PM

Hmmm, Rc4wd parts. Im liking this approach at this point, this hould be another great build. Nice to see more options for super builders. "thumbsup"

Chaotic Crawlers 12-13-2011 08:20 PM

So it's berg cases with bully knuckles and xvd's??

Erik D_lux 12-13-2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyH (Post 3442575)
Looks like a nice start!

It's funny that you consider before Jan 20th a slow build......that would be a fast one for me. :lol:

Sometimes it pays to be obsessive compulsive. :ror:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Almighty Malach (Post 3442615)
I see offset cases, what are your plans for servos?

I am hoping to come in really light on this build so I am hoping a single 7980 per axle will do the trick? A servo will not fit on that short side easily.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers (Post 3442684)
So it's berg cases with bully knuckles and xvd's??

Yep. You may not understand this but us people who have to work for a living have to try and save some money where we can. :flipoff: I got a kid to feed man! Seriously though, one of my biggest hang ups on building this thing was jumping in and buying parts. As most know, these can be expensive but at the same time, I knew I would really want something light and do it "right" from the start. Doing it this way saves a decent chunk of change. Also, I really like that the axle shafts are readily available if I ever need them and they are cheap. The knuckles were less for 4pcs than one set of other options. I like the Berg stuff for its light weight too. Seems like a good deal with little to no draw backs. Oh, glad I went with the super Bully axles, they are not as wide as I was thinking.

Illeagle 12-13-2011 09:13 PM

Awesome to see this build starting up. I often wondered why you didnt have one yet. Cool idea with berg cases/rc4wd shafts. What did you have to do to the locker to get them to work?

Erik D_lux 12-13-2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Illeagle (Post 3442837)
Awesome to see this build starting up. I often wondered why you didnt have one yet. Cool idea with berg cases/rc4wd shafts. What did you have to do to the locker to get them to work?

I didnt modify the locker. I modified the shafts. For some reason that seemed more simple? I suppose it could be just as easy to do the locker.

The "mod" really was not hard at all, especially now that its in hindsight. Its the unknown that really causes all the tension. :ror:

For the knuckles and chubs, I used stock bully knuckles and AX10 chubs. The AX10 chubs are the perfect size in stock form. It really could not be better. Since the knuckles are made for a ball type chub you do have to do some grinding on the inside of the knuckle so they AX10 chub can move. I also rounded the top of the chub and just took the top edges off. Then you just have to grind the sides of the Bully knuckle like all the Bully guys are doing to get more steering. I used a stock Bully brass bushing and there is really no slop at all. It worked out great. Oh, side note, dont try and sandblast a Bully knuckle. They go straight to a rose color. :roll:

As for the shafts, I just milled them down until they fit into the locker. If I remember right it was only about .030 per side. I liked going this route since the shaft has the retaining clip as its minor diameter and the shafts are also square causing some stress points. I dont know if this would have been an issue but it wont be now.

All in all, this could all easily be done with a dremel with the exception of the tubes.

Here are some pics of the shafts if it helps. 1st one is stock vs. modded

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/467F7318.jpg

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t/332C06C8.jpg

nu 2 tha game 12-13-2011 10:06 PM

SWEET!!! Cant wait 2 c it...

Erin 12-13-2011 10:20 PM

Cool idea

Wheels........

53 willys 12-13-2011 10:29 PM

very nice Erik!!"thumbsup"

did you turn some delrin tubes out for me too??:mrgreen:

let me know when your tires show up....

Erik D_lux 12-13-2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin (Post 3442989)
Cool idea

Wheels........

Thanks

Slave driver..........

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53 willys (Post 3443011)
very nice Erik!!"thumbsup"

did you turn some delrin tubes out for me too??:mrgreen:

let me know when your tires show up....

I actually was going to but then, I thought maybe, just maybe there would be a chance that you would be switching to this combo? You could actually make money on the deal....

Tires will be here tomorrow.

53 willys 12-13-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik D_lux (Post 3443013)

I actually was going to but then, I thought maybe, just maybe there would be a chance that you would be switching to this combo? You could actually make money on the deal....

Tires will be here tomorrow.

hehehe.......I was kinda thinking the same thing after seeing the pics....:ror:
I will text you so we can figure out the next crawling day.."thumbsup"

Almighty Malach 12-13-2011 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik D_lux (Post 3442811)
I am hoping to come in really light on this build so I am hoping a single 7980 per axle will do the trick? A servo will not fit on that short side easily.

All I have ever run is a single 7990 servo, never had an issue with steering power even with a 12lb car. You should be just fine "thumbsup"

Nabil 12-13-2011 10:52 PM

is there a reason the motor is to the short side? seems like it might cause an issue with motor and link interference

Gear Jammer 12-14-2011 12:05 AM

This is going to be one Sickass Super. Nice work so far Erik!

You know I'm ready for some wheels...:)

ittybitty 12-14-2011 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nabil (Post 3443056)
is there a reason the motor is to the short side? seems like it might cause an issue with motor and link interference

I was wondering about that too...otherwise this is gonna be a sweet build 8)

Just think how much advertisement you could get with a set of clear faced 4" wheels with Krawler Konceptz inside skinz "thumbsup"

Monstergt 12-14-2011 05:56 AM

Nice build Erik. Now if I can just get you to make tubes for the 65:1 bullies

TURBOFEST 12-14-2011 07:30 AM

Very cool! What c's are those? You've got me thinking "thumbsup"

Monstergt 12-14-2011 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBOFEST (Post 3443445)
Very cool! What c's are those? You've got me thinking "thumbsup"

Looks like the AX10 clocking c's