Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My AR60 Axled Super Class Shafty. Ready To Run!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My Super Attempt.

Really looking cool

Cant wait to see some video

Keep going

Regards V8
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: My Super Attempt.

No laziness allowed! Get those gears installed...we want to see this thing in action!
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
TSK
Shelf queen

Default Re: My Super Class Wraith.

Thanks guys. I'm excited to get this thing done. And don't worry, i'll get the gears there eventually.

Bent up a pair of drag links out of some extra Lunsford Rock grinders I had left overr from another project. They wre too long for what I needed so i just geve them a silly bend and she's all good. I also ordered the VP tie rod since the delrin is way too flimsy with the bend in it.

I also worked on an eletronics caddy. I was originally going to mount the esc on the front uppers, and the rx on the rear uppers, but they'd prevent me from slamming the body how I'd like. I also noticed that this thing is way heavy on the passenger side. With both diff pumpkins on the right side, as well as the puller hanging way out on the same side, The truck feels terribly off balance. although the esc and rx won't offset all the weight, it should help greatly, and i may have enough room on the caddy for some ballast as well. It will attach to the chassis via double sticky tape and zip ties. the hole is too allow wires to pass through from the chassis side.

This pic is to show the basic premise of the caddy.

TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #24
TSK
Shelf queen

Installed the OD/UD gears today & threw these suckers on as well too

Harley mentioned in his one of his many Wraith build threads() about the slick new VP trusses, and more importantly (IMO) how they correct the offset upper link mounts. It's hard to tell off the truck, but once I had the axles linked up, it was pretty obvious. I was just gonna live with it, but the more I looked at it, and the more I though about it, the more necessary it seemed. The thought equal length uppers links forced to operate 1/4" off center just seems mind boggling.

Also thought I'd show the battery plate with the dual 3s on it.

Hoping to have a runner by next weekend. Can't wait

Last edited by TSK; 02-17-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #25
ekd
Quarry Creeper

Mmmm... tidy wiring.

ekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Wow..........

Nice and neat

Great job on the wiring

Keep Going

Regards Rick
v84x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

I'm loving the dual lipo setup, looks like nice and balanced. Can't wait to see some 6s vid!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Looks awesome.

I figured you would be rocking a TCS eclipse chassis

Can't wait to see it running.
Chaotic Crawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #29
SuperShafty.com

this is looking awesome man. nice to see a super sized safty out there
mjderstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 AM   #30
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekd View Post
Mmmm... tidy wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v84x4 View Post
Wow..........

Nice and neat

Great job on the wiring

Keep Going

Regards Rick
Thanks guys, it's coming along & I hope to have it all buttoned up by middle of next week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
I'm loving the dual lipo setup, looks like nice and balanced. Can't wait to see some 6s vid!
Thanks, the dual lipo layout should help the side to side Val CE, it it really gave me a hearty front weight bias too. 6s should be a hoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Crawlers View Post
Looks awesome.

I figured you would be rocking a TCS eclipse chassis

Can't wait to see it running.
Haha. Thanks. Don't get me started on that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjderstine View Post
this is looking awesome man. nice to see a super sized safty out there
Thanks man. I had a lot of parts laying around and I've always wanted to try a super out, so it was any easy decision to go for. Plus the kids should enjoy Playing around with it. But maybe on 3s only
Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #31
TSK
Shelf queen

I also got a few more things buttoned up on this beast. Care packages from SuperShafty.com & Stormer Hobbies arrived.

A SuperShafty top shaft and RRP gen3 slipper clutch. With big tires and 6s, one can imagine the stock slipper failing instantly. Based off this comparison pic, you can plainly see how this SuperShafty upgrade is definitely "Bomb Proof.". Stock setup on top, SuperShafty gen3 clutch on bottom.

Installed.

Here is a small mod I did for the rear steer. I used the unused high leverage steering arm from the VP knuckles I'm using up front. I had to countersunk the stock zero ackerman arm, and simply stacked the VP piece on top.

I also got the servo & motor leads routed. The spacer under the trans actually was a blessing in disguise as it gave me plenty of space beneath the dig to run the wires. Once my electronics caddy is installed, it should make for a pretty stealth wiring job.

And here's where I'm at now. Hitting the home stretch & I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by TSK; 02-18-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Looks like you've got quite a bit of caster in the rear steer...might want to pull that back to a neutral setting if possible. I'm also curious why you chose to stack the steering arms for the rear instead of setting it up like the front using the double shear arms?
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Can't wait to see it with a slammed body.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #34
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
Looks like you've got quite a bit of caster in the rear steer...might want to pull that back to a neutral setting if possible. I'm also curious why you chose to stack the steering arms for the rear instead of setting it up like the front using the double shear arms?
I actually need to notch the rear C's a click or add some spacers to the uppers to get it jussssssttttt right, but I just haven't got to it yet.

As for the steering, I wanted zero ackerman geometry, and it was easier to just easier to use the tabs that we're there (as opposed to drilling the double shears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Can't wait to see it with a slammed body.
I couldn't either, so I checked it out with a few options.m I think I've decided on what to go with. I'll just keep it under wraps until it's done
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #35
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
What do you see as negative points to caster in the rear?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:59 PM   #36
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
What do you see as negative points to caster in the rear?
I think keeping it neutral makes life on the servo easier. Also, as we all know, running high caster angles tips the axle (and therefore weight) over to the outside wheel. I think having caster on the rear axle will cause more handling problems when rear steer is used due to the additional weight shift. Keeping the caster at zero should provide much more consistent handling.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 AM   #37
Wanna get? Gotta want.

I forgot you were running the 8* stuff that does not seem to like caster.

I have been moving my rear caster to be as aggressive as possible and I am liking it MUCH more and dont see the negatives so far. The only thing that stops me from kicking it back more is that my tie rod will start getting too low. I would like to try 20* to 30* in the rear.

The biggest improvement I can see is when doing a climb that has a lip at the bottom. With my caster turned back its like I am half way up the bump where as when I had my caster pretty neutral, my tires were trying to drive under the bump. I also like the weight shifts that the extra caster adds. I think it can be a great tool when you learn how to use it.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Caster in the rear does help a lot with double bump style climbs like Erik mentioned. It also let's the rear axle steer more on really vertical climbs, instead of just letting the car fall into the turned tire.

That being said, I think there are negatives to it as well, and have found little to no castor to be a bit more consistent.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #39
TSK
Shelf queen

Go to know. Perhaps i'll try turning it back one click for a mild amount of caster. Then i'll be half way between neutral and extreme caster angles.

And we are talking about clocking it in the same direction as the front correct?

Like when viewed from the left both caster angles are like this /----/ and not like this /----\ ?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSCorpionKing View Post
Go to know. Perhaps i'll try turning it back one click for a mild amount of caster. Then i'll be half way between neutral and extreme caster angles.

And we are talking about clocking it in the same direction as the front correct?

Like when viewed from the left both caster angles are like this /----/ and not like this /----\ ?
Exactly, same directtion. /----/

My AR60 Axled Super Class Shafty. Ready To Run! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My attempt at building the ultimate super! jason Superclass Crawlers 125 02-17-2013 03:36 PM
my attempt to be different ONE HUSKY PAYLOAD Axial SCX-10 8 01-16-2012 05:16 PM
First attempt evilunclefred Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 01-12-2011 06:36 PM
Super Bully Second Attempt joesbruiser Superclass Crawlers 48 04-10-2010 11:00 PM
First Attempt Thundermaxx Videos! 2 12-07-2006 12:46 PM