Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: First Super Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default First Super Build

This is my first super build, let me know what you think, any ideas and suggestions on improvements would be great.

Parts:

Chaotic Super Switch Bodiless Chassis
Super Bully Light Weight Axles
Titanium Links (Dlux)
Knuckle Weights (Dlux)
Wheels (Dlux)
Big Bore Shocks w/ cap mod
Losi Mini-T Springs
Hitec 7980 servos
Dlux Servo Strengthener
Homemade Servo Mount
Homemade Steering Links
2x Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster BR Mini
3x Castle Creations BEC
Tekin 35T Heavy Duty Motors
Futaba 4PLS Radio
Cut n Shut Tires different tread front and rear not sure what I want to run
Parts on the way:

Dlux Delrin Hubs and Spacers
Dlux G10 D-cut face plates

The rear axle has been grinded, shaved and gears drilled. Axle tubes and knuckles have been ground for more steering, the rear knuckles have the bearing mod done, I used 3mm bearings so I wouldn't have to drill and tap the shafts.

The front axle is pretty much stock aside from grinding tubes and knuckles for more steering. I have the bearings for the mod just have not got around to doing it just yet.

The steering links have ball bearings where they attach to the knuckles, instead of bushings, I had them so why not.

Servo mounts where cut from 1/4" delrin, with 1/4" spacers under to make the servo sit even with the bottom of the chassis.

Homemade battery mount, I got the idea for the mount from the Dlux electronic mount for the berg axle.

The ready to run weight right now is 8.5lbs with 4oz of weight at each front wheel and 2oz of weight at each rear wheel. The weight is a little on the high side, I would like to get it down to under 8lbs without going too far into a total rebuild.

I want to thank Erik from Dlux for all the parts and advice when I was ordering the parts, along with all the guys who replied to my post about wheelbase and everyone that posted build threads for there rigs, I learned a lot and got some really good ideas when I was starting this build.
Attached Images

tweak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: First Super Build

So after finishing the truck, I wasn't very happy with how heavy the truck was. I wanted to shave more weight off the of the so I got in contact with Erik D_lux and we talked about building some axles.

What we came up with was:

Mad torque/Exceed gear cases
Berg/Bully Super Tubes Ax10
Axial Ax10 c-hubs
Dlux knuckles with super knuckle weights
Dlux TI Steering links
Dlux upper link mount
Stock large gears/SDS small/Big pin mod
RC Bros 7075 Locker
Dlux Axle Shafts
Attached Images

Last edited by tweak6; 03-13-2014 at 09:42 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had the axles for a few days before I could start putting them together and it was killing me not to be able to build them but with my work schedule there was just no time.

But once I did I noticed there was some mods that needed to me made to get the axles together. The bearing seat on the gear case needed to be filed down so that the axle tubes would sit flush with the gear case.

The first picture is before and the second is after.

Also a new hole needed to be drilled to bolt the upper link mount to the gear case. It was really easy to do, just bolt the upper link mount to the case with the one bolt hole and use the link mount itself to drill the second hole, no picture of this.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Once that was all done I got to the gears and this was a pain in the ass for me anyways. I wasn't really sure on the order of the berg gears to start with and then since I am using a different gear case there are adaptors and two different size bearings, it was like a jigsaw puzzle. But after a few tries I got the right combination.

Here are a few pictures of the bearings and the adaptors, the adaptors are different one has a machined lip on it that is smaller to allow for gear clearance and the other one has a bigger diameter shaft that the bearing rides on.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Once that was all taken care of and I got the axles all put together I need to set the angles on the shock/link mount and the Chubs at the same angle. After messaging Erik and asking if he had any tips on doing this, Erik told me about an angle finder app. I downloaded one and it made it SO easy to do.

I got them installed on the truck and the only thing I am waiting on now is the steering and drag links. They will be here soon, I had to wait until I got the axles put together so that I could tell Erik the length of them are so I got the right links.

This brought the weight of my truck down from 8.5lbs with 4oz of weight at each front wheel and 2oz of weight at each rear wheel to 7 pounds 4 ounces with 6 ounces of weight at each front wheel. I am not sure if this is too much weight or not enough weight, if it is not enough weight I am able to add up to 12 more ounces of weight to the knuckle weights.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

When I had the Bully axles on the truck I had the electronics mount on the short side axle tube but with these axles I made a new mount that places the electronics behind the motor in the center of the truck.

I plan on making a battery mount and mounting the battery on the short side axle tube.
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Here is the weight difference between the bully axle I had on the truck and the new dlux axles.

The gear case on the bully axle has been shaved and drilled, the axle tubes have had a light shave on them and the gears where drilled to save weight and there were still really heavy.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2014, 08:24 AM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Looks great!

Lots of good tech in here, even for the 2.2 guys that are switching over to these axles.

Were you not able to fit the servo between the motor and tube? I know on the 2.2's I build they can easily fit with a 7950 and a 12t pinion, I just didnt know if that strengthener got in the way.

Liking what you did and even some sweet homebrew!
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, no I wasn't able to fit the servo between the motor and axle the strengthener would hit and the 7980 servo are a little bit bigger than the 7950. I was worried about taking out the amount of material needed to get the servo between the motor and axle.

First Super Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Super Build in SC Monstergt Superclass Crawlers 18 08-09-2012 06:25 PM
My first super build KnoJa Superclass Crawlers 22 06-18-2012 11:41 PM
SUPER detailed Super Build jetboat RC4WD Bully 58 10-17-2009 07:00 AM
My super build addictedtonitro Illinois 41 05-21-2009 07:30 AM