Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Ted's Lightweight Super Juice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #21
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Ted's Lightweight Super Juice

Impressive clean build, Ted
nicodrive01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDBULL View Post
He isnt going to let you run it untill is paid off??? LOL.
Well, im sure he would let me, but the deal was until its all paid off, it sits.

I would have it by now if it wasn't for the wedding that we are trying to fund!!!
KnoJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Sweet! Glad to see someone build a proper super berg with a centered gearbox/motor combo!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Looking good!

However, you are going to HATE that servo horn sticking up there like that. It will get hung up on any undercut you push the truck up against. Why not rotate the servo 90* and let it sit between the motor and tube?
No way it will fit there, unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Awsome! Great build man!
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodrive01 View Post
Impressive clean build, Ted
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoJa View Post
Well, im sure he would let me, but the deal was until its all paid off, it sits.

I would have it by now if it wasn't for the wedding that we are trying to fund!!!
You only get one wedding, might as well do it proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Sweet! Glad to see someone build a proper super berg with a centered gearbox/motor combo!
I tried to build it first with the motor on the short tube and I just was not happy with it. So I re drilled the tubes and swapped them over and I like it much better centered as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
No way it will fit there, unfortunately.
That was my first impression as well when I measured it. After I mod the case and move the motor I will know for sure. I may even be willing to get aluminum tubes for the long sides and notch the hell out of them to get that 7980 to fit.

For now I am not worried about it, I think I will manage just fine with the servo horn sticking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
Awsome! Great build man!
Thank you. I just finished another one. A sporty. I will try and post that up in the AX10 section.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you. I just finished another one. A sporty. I will try and post that up in the AX10 section.
Awsome! I'll be lookin for it
Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I tried to build it first with the motor on the short tube and I just was not happy with it. So I re drilled the tubes and swapped them over and I like it much better centered as well.

That was my first impression as well when I measured it. After I mod the case and move the motor I will know for sure. I may even be willing to get aluminum tubes for the long sides and notch the hell out of them to get that 7980 to fit.

For now I am not worried about it, I think I will manage just fine with the servo horn sticking up.
That would be cool! How big are your tires?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

You running it on saturday Ted?
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Quote:
That was the original plan, and it still may happen. First I need to get ahold of the jig and mod the case to move the motor up and back. Then I will know how much room I have and if I can notch the tube enough to fit it in there. Time was short and this was my remedy. I will have to deal with it for now.
I made up a jig, bring me your case halves Ted.
BigBlackCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
You running it on saturday Ted?
Hell yes. I also got a sporty built. And I rebuilt and changed my 1.9 setup. Still working on the XR, should be done with it by 3:30am. I got all 21 batteries charged already. First comp of the new season! going to be fun! It will be a challange trying to be competative in 4 classes, I think I will focus on the 2.2 and super mostly this year and just have fun with the shafty's. Its all fun, but you know what I mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackCummins View Post
I made up a jig, bring me your case halves Ted.
Sounds good. I will tear it down after the comp and bring you my cases.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I got all 21 batteries charged already.
I thought i had a lot at 12
Old 07-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Hell yes. I also got a sporty built. And I rebuilt and changed my 1.9 setup. Still working on the XR, should be done with it by 3:30am. I got all 21 batteries charged already. First comp of the new season! going to be fun! It will be a challange trying to be competative in 4 classes, I think I will focus on the 2.2 and super mostly this year and just have fun with the shafty's. Its all fun, but you know what I mean.

Sounds good. I will tear it down after the comp and bring you my cases.
Good luck, Ted! Don't forget to take some pix and vids for us
nicodrive01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodrive01 View Post
Good luck, Ted! Don't forget to take some pix and vids for us
There will be video from the comp for sure.
Crash & I will have the cameras rolling!
BigBlackCummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #35
5th D Owner/Driver

And I'll get the pics! Super looks like a winner Ted.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

I ran the super at its first comp yesterday. It worked well. I am liking the light weight, climbed right up some stuff other guys could'nt. 6oz of knuck weight per side seems perfect. I need to order a pair of BRXL's for it becuase the FXR's wont hold it.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Figured it was time for an update. Nothing has realy changed, but it is all working well and holding up just fine. I did finaly get the aluminum rod balls and got those installed and have a new RTR weight of 6.37 lbs. I stilll have some steel hardware that needs to be replaced with titanium. And I still would like to change out the FXR's for some BRSL's to help with the rollback. And I am realy wanting a set of Infectious RC carbon wheels and some new super boss claws. My thinking is that with the carbon wheels I can possibly get down from 6 lbs, 6 oz to and even 6 pounds.

Last edited by TedBull; 11-21-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #38
Yashua

You won't regret the BR-SL's Ted, I just put a pair in my super and man , what a differance from the FXR's I had on my last super.
I run 8 1/4" tall Moab Rovers with it weighing close to the 8lb. mark and it hold's it in place easily , I have the Holmes Hold set to on and the drag brake set to 50% and it's perfect.
The FXR's I think are better suited to a 2.2 rig.
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
You won't regret the BR-SL's Ted, I just put a pair in my super and man , what a differance from the FXR's I had on my last super.
I run 8 1/4" tall Moab Rovers with it weighing close to the 8lb. mark and it hold's it in place easily , I have the Holmes Hold set to on and the drag brake set to 50% and it's perfect.
The FXR's I think are better suited to a 2.2 rig.
When I had my heavier 65:1 super bully the FXRs actually held the truck just fine, never had an issue. But the berg just rolls back. It sucks but I can usually manage. But its just a matter of time before I get those BR-SL's.

BTW Bob, how many super builds you got going right now? Any of them done yet? Good looking stuff you got going.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

I made a few changes.

1. I followed the brilliant work of D-lux and swapped out my large 2nd Berg gears for large 2nd HR gears. (Thanks again Jeremey for trading your HR 2nds for my Berg 2nds). The HR gears are 52 tooth and 48 pitch compared to the berg gears witch are 42t and mod .6 pitch. The reduction in gearing is huge and just what I needed. Its nice being able to source 48p pinions easily. I am running 12t pinions. I only have a small amount of runtime on it so far around the house but can already tell the huge improvement in torque and drag brake.

The gear swap was very easy. It only required cutting the spacer off the large 3rd and using loctite to hold the bearing onto the end of the small 3rd. D-lux has a full write up and how to in his super thread.

2. TCS had a sale on SDS 300 3rd gears so I picked up a pair and tossed them in when I did my gear swap.

3. I finaly threw on my new and improved D-lux CF upper link mounts. I ran his delrin mounts previously. They are spiffy. Lots of adjustability.

4. The 7980's went to Hitech for warranty. Both servos had issues with the spline shaft "wobbleing" a bunch. They replaced the middle cases on both servos and they are 100% again.

5. I got bored and decided to take the dremel to the blast wheels some more. I did it more for fun and looks than actual weight loss. It shaved a couple grams per wheel. They are still plenty strong and I have no concerns. Just hope I dont catch a stick in there.

We have a comp this weekend and I cant wait to run her. The RTR weight is at 6lbs 4.8oz. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by TedBull; 01-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.