Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Mad torque build, cheap and easy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 01:13 AM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Mad torque build, cheap and easy

Here's a pic showing my ground clearance, only problem is that with how it sits now my wheelbase is 17" even. I really liked closer to 18, so I might have to make some longer rear links or something.
Other than that I ordered some aluminum knuckles, and my uncle ordered some super bully axles so I'm buying his front axle of him. That way I'll have aluminum knuckles front and rear an a parts axle, so I'm happy.
Also ordered some 40 series wheels, I'm going to cut and shut the stock tires, should net me an inch taller tire so that's cool.

Last edited by Nimyad; 01-12-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Nimyad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #42
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimyad View Post
Here's a pic showing my ground clearance, only problem is that with how it sits now my wheelbase is 17" even. I really liked closer to 18, so I might have to make some longer rear links or something.
Other than that I ordered some aluminum knuckles, and my uncle ordered some super bully axles so I'm buying his front axle of him. That way I'll have aluminum knuckles front and rear an a parts axle, so I'm happy.
Also ordered some 40 series wheels, I'm going to cut and shut the stock tires, should net me an inch taller tire so that's cool.
How did u get the suspension to setup like that
BIG T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

It's a secret lol.
The front shocks are mounted on the last mount of the chassis and on the axle. The rear shocks are mounted on the last hole in the chassis and the furthest hole on the links from the axle. I forget where the links are mounted so I can take a pic with the body off if you want.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

that would be cool
Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Here's those pictures.
Here you can see my lower link placement clearly. For the top links, the front ones are attached the the body mount and the rears are the little button top screws by the shocks.

Farther away

Top view
Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #46

My bro-in-law and I have had the Mad Torque for couple years now, pretty decent and little breakage. My only mods are cut tire foam and 4oz of sticky weights wrapped around inside of each front wheel. Would like to see a parts list when you get going again. I am curious on front knuckles and esc/motor selection. I dont want to spend a ton cuz my bro-in-law has no funds ( i actually bought the crawler for him) but want an advantage over him!!!
booneTRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:43 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Here's a part list so far.
Stock esc
Stock reciever
Stock motors
CC bec
Soon to be hot racing ax10 aluminum knuckles front and rear
Soon to be 40 series wheels with cut and shut tires
Foams from Jo ann fabrics
Old 01-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #48
RCC Addict

It looks like from your pic, you could move your front lower links to the most forward holes, and gain somemore wheelbase. You will need new longer uppers to make it work, but it looks simple to do, if you try it post up and tell us you new wheelbase!

Also if you mount the end of the lower links to the inside and the uppers to the inside on your chassis, you will get more triangulation which will create less axle stear!

Last edited by Tgreer; 01-13-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

I can't move my front lowers to the farthest forward hole because of my shocks, and I don't want to mount my front shocks on the links. For gaining wheelbase I was thinking of just redoing all the rear links, making them longer and making it a 4 link.
For mounting the links inside, I could do that on the rear link but not the front links.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Can you make a bracket to bolt through two of the holes where the shock mounts to the chassis that would extend far enough to allow you to still mount the bottom of the shock to the axle?

Kinda like the stock losi chassis does where the shock is mounted to a seperate peice that is mounted to the chassis
Tgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

I could, I just like how it sits now with the chassis farther forward.
So I'll just push the rear axle farther back when I remake the links.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 PM   #52

How did you bend your links?
DJ Raizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:44 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Put them in a vice and put a piece of tube, big enough to slip over it, over the link. Then bend it till your happy.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgreer View Post
Can you make a bracket to bolt through two of the holes where the shock mounts to the chassis that would extend far enough to allow you to still mount the bottom of the shock to the axle?

Kinda like the stock losi chassis does where the shock is mounted to a seperate peice that is mounted to the chassis
Looks to me your ready for your first attempt at making a new chassis. Just take your side panel and trace it out on some stiff paper. Add on what you want to change. Cut it out and spray glue it to what ever you plan to make out of. Be sure to stick 2 new pieces of material together with 2 sided tape so you can cut both sides at the same time. drill all the holes and corners in the cut outs first. then start cutting. Walla a new Chassis. Take a look at my tread.
BentMetaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, I'm getting there. If I lay out what I want I can bring it to a local steel shop and have it cut out of aluminum for $35.
That's probably what I'll end up doing, I just have to decide how I want it. I like the chassis on Jeremy's "ivory" build.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #56
Quarry Creeper

Built a new drag link today out of delrin rod. It's 3/8 rod and is .1 oz lighter than the 5/16 aluminum tube that my tie rod is made from. I also got an a aluminum servo arm and knuckles, so much nicer than plastic.
I need to move my servo back a little bit because there's some binding. The tie rod bolt at the knuckle rubs the bottom of my servo and the top rod end on the drag link hits the servo arm at full turn left.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Broke another small 3rd gear so now I'm all out of spares. I wasn't even doing anything hard, just screwing around on my course and then bang, no front drive. Now I guess I'm going to mod my gear case so a berg small 3rd will fit perfectly in it.
Here's a pic of our course, it's not very big but it's tricky and has taken 2 small 3rds and a knuckle out.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #58
Pebble Pounder

Super bully axles
Old 01-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

To heavy for my taste. I'm hoping to do a mt, berg, hr hybrid axle.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #60
Pebble Pounder

Widened xr10

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/418316-mad-torque-build-cheap-easy.html
Posted By For Type Date
R.I.P Bobby Long This thread Refback 02-27-2013 08:47 PM
Lets see your rc crawlers This thread Refback 02-23-2013 10:36 AM

Mad torque build, cheap and easy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed Mad Torque - Extensive Review and build thread monkeyracer Superclass Crawlers 96 06-25-2016 07:55 AM
Exceed Mad Torque Super Build motoj550 Superclass Crawlers 38 10-22-2013 05:13 PM
Exceed mad torque Build dannymac Superclass Crawlers 17 01-30-2013 07:17 PM
New To RC, Exceed Mad Torque Build woodsracer Superclass Crawlers 17 11-08-2012 11:49 PM
Brat Build(easy,cheap)(new rear bumper!!) rebel35747 Axial SCX-10 41 03-12-2012 01:01 PM