RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Superclass Crawlers (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/)
-   -   where to start building a Super? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/superclass-crawlers/427467-where-start-building-super.html)

REV666 02-07-2013 04:04 PM

where to start building a Super?

after looking at all these awesome rigs and what they can do, i REALLY want to start amassing parts to build a super class of my own.

but i cant see where to start. while looking at the chassis's (the ones i CAN find...) i cant always see the "end result" as it were.

part of me says to buy the rims and (maybe the currie?) axles for it, and see where that takes me. ive done that on a few 1:1 builds.

can anyone point me in the direction of a nice chassis and (maybe) axle setup?

J-Money 02-07-2013 04:43 PM

Re: where to start building a Super?

I've been eyeing up the chaotic crawlers super switch chasis and as for axles I have a new set of xr 10 that all I need are extensions and vvds but check out the berg section maybe mt plastic cases with dlux super tubes would be cool option. Or rc4wd makes a super axle Check out farmer toms, racer zH, chaotic crawlers super bully, nicodrive 01 builds, dlux's super they have some impressive supers Hope that helps"thumbsup"

Thanks j

REV666 02-07-2013 04:44 PM

i was looking at the CC chassis, but for 250? damn.....i could get a mad torque and some upgrades (if i could freakin find one for sale...) for that, lol

Nimyad 02-07-2013 05:31 PM

Read through my thread "mad torque build, cheap and easy." You'll see the potential the mat torque had, especially with some new stuff that's coming out for the axles :) Also if you look on amazon you can find mt for sale.

REV666 02-07-2013 05:45 PM

im actually reading the one on the MT "from box to rocks" to get some ideas and such, and its REALLY making me want one.

Nimyad 02-07-2013 05:50 PM

Yeah, that along with Blue Collar mods are good threads.

filotr14lsdude 02-08-2013 05:01 AM

At the end of the day you need to ask do you want an amazing crawler or a crawler that will do the job.

Amazing crawler =$$$$
Normal crawler plus mods =400

The difference between them is night and day, how ever there's a big price point difference between them.

REV666 02-08-2013 10:38 AM

im thinking 2 things: either build a super from scratch with chassis, axles etc, or start with a MT and upgrade as needed. at least with the MT (when i can find one for less than 300...) ill have a base to say "how far do i want to go?". for all i know the MT as it is will be exactly what i want. dunno. and since i dont (yet) have access to the classifieds im stuck buying new.

there is one pretty prevalent theme i see here, with just about any of the crawler RCs: "this (shows rc as it is today) is a (insert popular RTR crawler). I changed X,Y,Z, but i kept 3 of the original screws so its still a (insert popular RTR crawler)..."

basically a lot of people start off with say, an MT, then change the motors, esc, servos, axles, put new links and suspension on it, get a new body (or none at all), build a new chassis, but still say its an MT....lol

so i can either scratch build (more like piece together) a crawler, or i can start from a RTR and modify to my needs. each has their own pros & cons, but unless i can find me a chassis i like and know what it was basically built for (axle/trans/motor wise) then ill mod an on the market car.