Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: MT real world challenge 2, White Tank Mountain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default MT real world challenge 2, White Tank Mountain

So the last outing at Thunderbird Park was a “walk in the park” for the MT, time to get serious. Next challenge is the Goat Camp Trail at the White Tank Regional Mountain Park.

Last time here I did the first mile in and out just to test my battery range. This time, I started hiking around 8:30am and will start crawling at the mile 1 marker, where the real climb starts. This wash where I left off last time will be where the crawler touches ground again:

After a difficult section to get out of the wash here is the mile 1 marker, the official start of the challenge:

Shots of various sections of the trail, I tried to take more pics this time (not for slow connections!):

I don’t remember the trail was like this… someone put more rocks here??

This trail is too difficult for mountain bikers so you never see one here. Last time I hiked here I never thought I would be doing it with an RC Crawler!

You can see the altitude gain so far here, still plenty to go:

Lone Saguaro cactus watching from above:

You want rocks? I ship to the lower 48 States…

That building near the center of the pic is the Library and Nature Center, near the entrance gate of the park, the diagonal road is the entrance road where I took the second pic.

Still climbing… thank God for Lipos!! I don’t think I could have made it up here on a single Nimh like I have done with this hardcase.

Yes, over the boulders is the trail. At one time further below I had to backtrack because I got in an old trail.

At the mile 2 marker I reached a little valley, I carried the crawler about ¼ mile, pointless just to drive it on flat dirt.

Then it turned into a very technical endless ascent… some hikers already on the way back were surprised the crawler was still going and had made it so far. Until now, with almost 2 miles of brutal trail It has just needed like 10 “hand of God” interventions, mostly when high centered or wedged in between rocks ( I don’t want to force it and break the drivetrain and have to carry it). Most of the time, I’m like 6 feet behind just driving it.

The stock servo is starting to show its limitations, seems like it lost a bit of power, but still hanging there. You can see the trail I came through in the distance. Still going on my first battery pack.

Reached the mile 3 marker. It’s been 2 miles of mostly uphill going. about where the hiker in orange shirt is…

I had to stop and change my batt pack, another fresh 5000Mah goes in, and sandwich time for me.

Last edited by 2WheelFlyer; 03-09-2014 at 07:22 PM.
2WheelFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2014, 06:54 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MT real world challenge 2, White Tank Mountain

Reached my goal! The TV and radio antennas are off limits (access road there is on the other side), besides I don’t want to jam the local programming with my 2.4 ghz transmitter lol

A view from the “top”

I’m amazed by the capability of this near stock crawler, the more I use it the more I think it would be hard to find a better bang for your buck RTR 1/8 rig. Still with stock motors, ESC, have not been inside the gearcases either… choosing this metal gears was a good decision. Even through 4ws would probably have helped in some sections, it would make the crawler “snake” on straight paths and I don’t like that, so it will stay 2WS. Another servo would just be more things to go wrong and more weight in the back, right now its naturally heavier in the front, so I don’t have to weigh the rims. That saves battery and servo life and helps reduce strain on the knuckles, I think.

From this point on, the trail is mostly level and zig-zags across 4 or 5 different valleys, I have hiked this 15 mile loop in the past. You can see the trail in the distance, it does not get any closer to any peak, and its prohibited to cut your own trail through to reach a peak. There is vegetation anyway so it would not be easy or fun, and maybe a rattlesnake or two, they are out of hibernation now, so this is as far as I’ll go today, still have like ¾ battery power on my Lipo.

Starting the descent… you can see the sun is already high up, its 11:45 and I am like 3.5 miles away from my car through this difficult trail, it will take me almost one hour to reach the parking area.

I decided to save time on the descent and just put the crawler in its backpack position, the goal to crawl to the top is completed anyway with no mechanical failure so far… I’m not carrying spares, just a servo horn (the servo will probably let go before the horn does), shock spacers, a couple tools. I’m also carrying the spent battery, and I started with 2 liters of water on the camelback and additional ¾ liter in a collapsible bottle. Weight adds up! Specially because a 1/8 crawler is not so lightweight. I reached my car at 12:45.

Well, that’s it for now… maybe for the next challenge another rccrawler AZ member wants to tag along, it won’t be so far west. I already thought of the next 2 locations...
2WheelFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Nice trail. I'd totally take me bike down that. Might be fun.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

There are ppl on this forum that will tell you exactly what you have to have to crawl...yet they will never crawl a trail anywhere close to that. Personally I think the crawler hobby is most enjoyed by those with access to fine natural terrain.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm headed out that way now if anyone can join. Brining the Wraith so that's as technical as I expect to get!
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote

MT real world challenge 2, White Tank Mountain - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mad Torque, real world challenge 1 2WheelFlyer Superclass Crawlers 0 02-22-2014 05:51 PM
Back in the real world CRSMacgyver RC Rock Crawling Worlds 14 09-20-2010 11:35 PM
Real world CC upgrades FlexdXJ Duratrax Cliff Climber 2 06-30-2009 05:15 PM
welcome to the real world Bknight Chit Chat 18 07-31-2006 08:50 AM
Your real world rides? coryrach Chit Chat 10 04-01-2006 06:43 PM