Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Super Build: The "TiCrawler" ...with added Titanium!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Lightbulb Super Build: The "TiCrawler" ...with added Titanium!

Have recently become obsessed with building a Super...

And so here's my shameless, self-serving reason for this build thread: If I show you what I'm doing ...then hopefully you can point out when I'm doing something stupid.

Oh...

I'm calling it the "TiCrawler" because I love titanium and anticipate making a good few of the parts out of titanium (chassis, links, and possibly the wheels).

Also...

I live in New Zealand and so have no intention of entering comps or such (so I'm not worried about building some over-the-top, competition-level rig).

The upside of living here is there are some incredible places to run a crawler ...but when I need a part it's typically going to cost more in shipping than the part itself ...and take two weeks to get here!

NOTE: It's going to be a slow (but interesting) build.

Onwards...
Cogent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2014, 07:25 PM   #2

Default Re: Super Build: The "TiCrawler" ...with added Titanium!

Here's the first part (it was a good deal and was in the same town I live - didn't have to buy outside the country! ) ...so just HAD to buy it.

A DX6i:

Name:  dx6i.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  51.3 KB
Old 02-13-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

Had initially decided to build with Clod axles ...because of the width (I want to build a fairly big rig).

I then saw builds on here where Berg axles had been widened by swapping-out the shorter side of the axle for another long one. Sold!

It was funny...

As soon as I had decided Bergs were the way to go I did a search of eBay and found these had been listed literally a few hours previously:

Name:  berg-axles-1a.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  44.9 KB

Note this is not my picture - it's the one from the eBay sale. I bought them nearly a week ago ...so should hopefully be here next week some time.

Last edited by Cogent; 02-13-2014 at 07:33 PM. Reason: berg axles, berg build, berg widened
Old 02-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #4

I used to run a "beefed-up" T-Maxx years ago.

Bashed the thing around like you wouldn't believe and it just wouldn't break - here's why:

Name:  supermaxx-1.jpg
Views: 960
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  supermaxx-2.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  supermaxx-3.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  62.0 KB
Old 02-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #5

Just realised...

I should probably give you an idea of what I plan to use to build the TiCrawler.

Axles: widened Berg
Radio: Spektrum DX6i

Chassis: Will make this out of titanium (but considering using carbon fiber).

Wheels: Still 50/50 whether to make these myself (either titanium or carbon fiber) ...or just buy some carbon fiber ones like I've seen on other Supers.

Tyres: Will cut-and-glue PlowBoys to fit whichever wheel I go for.

Servos: 2 x 7980TH on front and 1 x 7980TH on rear.

Most of this is just what I've come up with from studying this forum over the last couple of weeks.

If I'm doing something stupid - then chime in by all means..
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #6

I still need to decide on shocks, electronics and a bunch of other little things.

Most of the undecided stuff is basically because I have to see how this fits together as I build it.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVERICKJK View Post
What are you plans for the IFS?
I've just hunted around trying to figure out what IFS means - it's either Independent Front Suspension or Independent Full Suspension.

Assuming it's this, then...

I don't plan to do much different to other Supers out there.

I have however spent hours trying to figure out a way have lower links like the 'Killer Krawler'. But, where the Killer Krawler had cnc machined lower links (not sure it that's what they're called), I'd be looking to have them made out of flat titanium sheet.

The problem...

I just can't figure out how connect rod ends to these. Unfortunately I don't really have tools or such available in terms of machining etc.

So, for now, it will just be a simple chassis with titanium upper and bent lower links (just like most other berg-axle Supers I've seen).

I'll most likely make them out of aluminium to get the size/shape/setup right ...then do them in titanium.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Designing the wheels just now - keeping it simple.

Whether I go for carbon fiber or titanium depends on price.

If it's about the same cost then I'll go for carbon fiber. I really know know the costs yet as the carbon fiber will be cnc machined Vs. titanium which will be water/laser cut.

Fairly unfamiliar with carbon fiber - but know titanium quite well.

The parts that hold the two parts of the wheels together (not sure what to call them) will be custom-machined out of titanium.

Name:  designs-v1.png
Views: 758
Size:  9.4 KB
Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

I've never seen a crawler in real-life - so I've given the Berg axles some Mickey-Mouse wheels so as to get a handle on size/layout:

Name:  building-1.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  64.6 KB

From this I was able to get initial sizes and start designing the chassis.

Then did a side-profile to scale and was able to get a chassis design (combination of various stuff I've seen around and additional design elements I wanted to incorporate):

Name:  chassis-design-1.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  103.2 KB

About 90% there on the 2D design:

Name:  2d-screenshot-1.png
Views: 689
Size:  3.6 KB
Old 02-15-2014, 11:50 PM   #10

Going to increase the options on the lower link mounts (left in the picture below).

Also, will be replacing the upper link mounts on the berg axles with simpler ones (right in picture below).

Name:  mounts-1.png
Views: 700
Size:  7.2 KB
Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 AM   #11

Have cleaned-up the chassis drawing and its pretty much ready to go as a first prototype.

Tomorrow I will see what the cost difference is between getting it cut out of plexiglass and aluminium.

I'm not going to be getting the prototypes cut out of titanium as it's around sixty or eighty dollars just for the material alone ...and then probably another hundred dollars on top of that.

No point spending that kind of money when I'm purely testing for dimensions right now.

Holes galore! (I'm really not sure how it's going to come together ...so I've edged on the side of too-many-holes rather than too few)

Name:  chassis-pic-1.png
Views: 711
Size:  6.3 KB
Old 02-16-2014, 12:43 AM   #12

Some notes (mostly for myself so I don't forget stuff...)

--> Aiming for wheelbase of around 460mm (or 18.1")

--> Have ordered Vanquish SLW .850 Hex Spacers (still need to find out what size hex size this is ...searched everywhere ...assuming it's 12mm or 17mm ...need to buy whatever size I need)

--> Still need to find out if there is much of a difference between the Panther PlowBoy Soft and PlowBoy Super-Soft

--> Have ordered 24 Revo Rod Ends for making the links (it seems these are the ones to use)
Old 02-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #13

Was a bit frustrated initially with regard to mounting the servos.

I has assumed I could just throw on the servos in a sort of "that'll do for now" type thing - couldn't even do that.

Thought about how to do it for a while - didn't really get anywhere - and then looked through some threads here on how others did it. The best solution I saw was to mount a plate on the axles and then mount the servo on that plate. A plate could then be added on each side for each servo.

I've come up with a solution I think should work - basically a double-plate fixed across the axle (in orange in the picture below).

As with other components of this build - I'm not sure if this will be in titanium or carbon fiber (I would prefer carbon fiber for this bit though).

Once designed I'll get this done in plexiglass or something just to make sure it's going to work first.

Name:  Servo-Mount-1a.jpg
Views: 679
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  Servo-Mount-1b.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  128.1 KB
Old 02-16-2014, 01:59 PM   #14

Price for getting the chassis and various mounting pieces cut out of 3mm acrylic is around fifty dollars. Pretty reasonable for sure.

Have ordered this and should be with me tomorrow.

Awaiting prices for getting the initial wheel designs machined out of carbon fiber. From experience I know vaguely what titanium will cost - will be interesting to see what the prices are for CF...
Old 02-16-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
RCC Addict

acrylic will work for a mock up application and some light driving. However instead of flexing it will snap. Lexan or Delrin will work much better.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM   #16

Yeah, the acrylic is just for a mockup so I can see how it's going to work.

The final chassis is most likely going to be a combination of titanium and carbon fiber.

The guy I'm getting to cut the acrylic is super-fast and the chassis is in the post as I type this. Exciting.

I have a pre-prototype chassis just now that consists of thick foam and cocktail sticks ...so the acrylic will be a real step-up in the mock-up.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

You should be more that fine with one 7980 in the front. The only way you might need more servo power is if you go with Dlux axle shafts and knuckles that turn super sharp.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:09 PM   #18

Thumbs up Re: Super Build: The "TiCrawler" ...with added Titanium!

Wow this is really amazing what rc was this? i love what youve done this is what i have tried to do with mine, but i have not succeded like you have. this has really made me rethink about going back to my project. i like this, keep it up.
SICK ride
2HicksRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2HicksRC View Post
Wow this is really amazing what rc was this? i love what youve done this is what i have tried to do with mine, but i have not succeded like you have. this has really made me rethink about going back to my project. i like this, keep it up.
SICK ride
I'm assuming you're referring to the T-Maxx above... I basically took a T-Maxx that was breaking parts all the time and added SuperMaxx alloy parts from Unlimited Engineering, metal CVDs and titanium skid-plates.

The thing was pretty much indestructible.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
You should be more that fine with one 7980 in the front. The only way you might need more servo power is if you go with Dlux axle shafts and knuckles that turn super sharp.
Awesome - thank you.

I had been considering two on front and two on back ...but will go for one front and one back on your recommendation (but will leave the option open for adding another in the future).

Keeping it simple for now.

Tags
berg build, super build, titanium, titanium crawler

Super Build: The "TiCrawler" ...with added Titanium! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axielfest Build "Super Honcho" (Pic Heavy) ZNO-RC 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 06-27-2012 11:31 AM
4xFord's "Super Villian" Team Y-Town build 4xFord Axial XR10 174 02-01-2012 02:01 PM
Don's DNA R/C Super Build...project "Envy" billet works Tamiya Clod Buster 72 08-04-2009 03:32 AM
"The Punk Rock Crawling" Super build! TattooKenny Tamiya Clod Buster 22 05-01-2009 01:35 PM