Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Looking for "Super" advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2014, 11:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Looking for "Super" advice

Hello RCC,

So I just completed my first 2.2 comp MOA build, and I am loving it to pieces. I have been recently bitten by the Superclass crawlers now, and I am in the process of selling off all of my scale rigs so that I can get my hands on a super. Depending on how it goes, I am either going to build one from the ground up, or buy or trade for one that's already done. Either way, I am going end up with one.

I have been hitting this section hard lately trying to get all of the knowledge I can pack into my pea sized brain so that I am somewhat prepared for when the day arrives. One thing that I noticed is that the chassis that are commonly used tend to be very long and narrow. I see the reasoning for that so that the rear shock's can be properly mounted on the rear axle, to do their job. Before I figured all of that out I found a GMade 1/8 scale Stealth chassis, I'm curious if you guys think that it could work, or did I waste my money.

I have a lot of respect for those who have built supers. Most of the stuff I got for my comp rig was off the shelf, and it still took a fair amount of fabrication, as far as supers go there's not a whole lot available. So this is a challenge that I'm ready to give a shot.
Attached Images

Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #2
5th D Owner/Driver

Default Re: Looking for "Super" advice

How about a side shot of that chassis?
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

These pictures aren't mine, I just nabbed them from Google. The chassis is also very wide, I'm sure I can narrow it up, as the bottom is typical delrin with spacers through out. The one photo showing the 'trunk' area there is a cross member that I don't have so it solves narrowing that area, and the upper cab portion will be tricky part. I think I could potentially manipulate the bends and bring the sides further down and narrow up the top.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2014, 01:22 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
These pictures aren't mine, I just nabbed them from Google. The chassis is also very wide, I'm sure I can narrow it up, as the bottom is typical delrin with spacers through out. The one photo showing the 'trunk' area there is a cross member that I don't have so it solves narrowing that area, and the upper cab portion will be tricky part. I think I could potentially manipulate the bends and bring the sides further down and narrow up the top.

If you plan to comp crawl. GOD no save you coins. Get a Y Towns Super Juice or Chaotic Crawlers Super Switch or other similar body less chassis.
Tom G
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #5
5th D Owner/Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom G View Post

If you plan to comp crawl. GOD no save you coins. Get a Y Towns Super Juice or Chaotic Crawlers Super Switch or other similar body less chassis.
Tom G
I agree. I don't think that chassis is going to work right for a super.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:30 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Probably fine to have fun with, I would suggest something different if your planning to comp.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up Re: Looking for "Super" advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
I agree. I don't think that chassis is going to work right for a super.

Also Erik at Dlux Fab has a chassis but you'll have to e-mail him not sure its listed on his website DLUX FAB | products
Tom G
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I currently don't have plans to comp it, just really to build it and enjoy it. I have done a fair amount of research and haven't found any superclass comps in my area. However, I do want it to preform rather well, and the excessive weight is obviously a concern, as well as the way the shocks points are located.

Thanks for the input fella's
Old 03-28-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The Dlux chassis is very nice and it kinda looks like a truck, which is cool! Erik is also very helpfully if you have any questions along the way, and while build a super i am sure you will have a couple.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

There's an awesome super in the for sale section... I'll look for a link... Not to be rude, but glad you're selling your scalers.... Just not my thing.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

There not my thing either obviously. No offense taken, I just recently got back into RC after a 10+ hiatus and obviously didn't know what path I wanted to go. I just jumped back in with both feet and took off running. After I seen how serious folks were getting with the comp crawling stuff I knew immediately that I waisted a bunch of money on building the SCX's, when I could have been building comp crawlers. The hobby change innumerable in that few years, the scaler crowd in my opinion has gone nuts with all the dolls and miniatures toys, really not what I was into, I'm a builder, a tinker bug, I just want to build build build. Now I'm ready to build stuff that doesn't have an instruction manual! I have a lot of RC'S and would always try to utilize most to all of them, but every since I completed my 2.2 I have yet to touch anything else. I now know what I want to do and these comps rooms are where you'll be finding me!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Supers are the most fun RC i have driven. I think they are best when driven with a twinstick radio so you get full control of all your options. They will pull some jaw dropping lines yet they are cumbersome and awkward at the same time.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

They will pull some jaw dropping lines yet they are cumbersome and awkward at the same time. <-- That is an awesome statement!!

Great, now I gotta get a new tx. too.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well screw it. I bought one today guys!! I'll post the stats here in a few...
Old 03-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Wanna see that !!!

From iPad with Tapatalk
CrawlrKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

What did you buy?
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for not getting to this tonight. We had a spot of sunlight so my son and I loaded up our crawlers and hit the rock pit. So here are the stats of what I ended up buying. It is going to need a lot of work to become worthy. Like the guy who built it made the entire chassis out of plate steel fully TIG welded, so its gonna be HEAVY. Also, the rims and tires are the Cyclone beadlocks from RC4WD with there RokLox tires, so those are going to have to go bye bye as well. But it is a helluva a start with a LOT of good parts. Another pretty good bonus is that it is coming with a Futaba 4PL, I have been running a DX4S which is more of a racing inspired remote. To utilize my dig's and proportional I have to use the throttle and steering wheel plus 4 different buttons. Needless to say I get somewhat confused in the heat of the moment. I have heard a ton of good things from the 4PL's and that they are pretty rock crawler friendly. On to the spec's, this is copied from the for sale ad:

"Super class custom crawler, this thing is crazy big, between 1/4 and 1/5 scale. Body is custom, fully welded steel, links are rc4wd aluminum. Axles are Super Bully, with rc4wd cyclone aluminium wheels with 8.5" RokLox tires. This crawler has 4ws, it cycles from front steer, crab walk, rear steer, and 4ws with Hitec 7950th up front, Hitec 7980th in back. Powered with Novak M2 ESC and Terra claw 55 motors. The radio is Futaba 4pl, and matching 4 channel receiver. It has a Castle 10amp BEC, and a Viscous Teknology 5200 40c 2 cell lipo. Comes RTR, with less than 1 hr runtime on entire build. Built this during winter but have lost interest. Its over 30"long, 15" wide and 12" tall with 5" of ground clearance and crazy articulation. I invested well over $1500 in this build, this is NOT a childs toy, adult built, owned, and operated."

So a good list of parts to start with, F*** I can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Pics as soon as you do. That things sounds crazy, unorthodox but cool
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, the guy that built it seen them at a comp then bought a bunch of stuff and threw it together. I have a good lot of work to do on it, I am going to be the last guy on the planet to complain though because I am one of those guys that almost enjoy building them more than actually driving them (almost ) Quite a bit of money into it for being so far away from actually comp-able. It's all for fun anyway though right? I am going to drive it for awhile in its 'stock' form (after I swap the servos around) just for fun while I collect parts to rebuild it. I am pretty excited! I just ordered a custom set of 13t crawlmasters from HH for my 2.2, so when I get those I take the Broods out of my XR10 and put them in this beast. I also have a couple FXR's that will be going directly in it. I haven't really heard a lot of good stuff from the Novak Dig units.

Here's the beast fella's!
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2014, 02:16 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Looks like a good starting point
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Looking for "Super" advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM