Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 AM   #61
Quarry Creeper

More pic's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Conflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 06:24 AM   #62
Quarry Creeper

I took the floppy metal end link for the steering out and made on to decrease some of the slop

Old 05-16-2014, 06:37 AM   #63
Rock Crawler

Default Re: From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflict View Post

Also, has anyone done a write up on decreasing the amount of slop in the bully axles?

Thanks fella's!
I found the best way to remove the slop is install bearing on the king pin bolts. It removes a lot of slop.
The other one is to mount a set of ax10 knuckles. That way you can clock the front knuckles. Then push the whole assemble on as far as you can go. This removes the in and out slop.
You will always have slop on the end of the cvd where it goes into the locker. It's not as bad as the rest of the slop.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:19 AM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by filotr14lsdude View Post
The other one is to mount a set of ax10 knuckles. That way you can clock the front knuckles. Then push the whole assemble on as far as you can go. This removes the in and out slop.
You will always have slop on the end of the cvd where it goes into the locker. It's not as bad as the rest of the slop.
This is where my slop is coming from mostly, the in & out. Don't I need to get a set of axle tubes in order to use AX10 knuckles?

Fortunatly (for now anyway) my king pin part is really solid. So that's not an issue now. Just the axle flopping around
Old 05-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Don't I need to get a set of axle tubes in order to use AX10 knuckles?
You don't have to get tubes to run ax10 chubs. You can run them with bully tubes but you would have to turn down the tubes to the diameter of the inside of the ax10 chub. If you can do that yourself by the time you got someone to do it and paid them to do it you would of probably been better off just buying a set of delrin ax10 tubes for the super bully gear cases. Also the amount of weight you will save from the stock bully tubes to delrin tubes is almost an ounce off of just the long side tube.
tweak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:22 AM   #66
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweak6 View Post
You don't have to get tubes to run ax10 chubs. You can run them with bully tubes but you would have to turn down the tubes to the diameter of the inside of the ax10 chub. If you can do that yourself by the time you got someone to do it and paid them to do it you would of probably been better off just buying a set of delrin ax10 tubes for the super bully gear cases. Also the amount of weight you will save from the stock bully tubes to delrin tubes is almost an ounce off of just the long side tube.
That all you need to do.
I turned my tubes down fully to 13mm(about the size of ax10 chubs)
Only left the material for servo and link mounts. It removes a fair bit of weight from the tubes
I'm in the process of making some delrin tubes to suit my servo mounts.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:41 AM   #67
Quarry Creeper

Well it sounds like I've got some deciding to do. If you purchase delrin tubes, do you still have to purchase other accessories for link/shock mounts, as well as servo mounts? I really like the though of running AX10 chubs, the aftermarket accessories are limitless.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:17 PM   #68
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well it sounds like I've got some deciding to do. If you purchase delrin tubes, do you still have to purchase other accessories for link/shock mounts, as well as servo mounts? I really like the though of running AX10 chubs, the aftermarket accessories are limitless.
If you get Dlux tubes then the link/shock mount comes with the tubes. Servo mounts you could probably use the ones you have but if it was me I would just get different ones. Dlux makes servo mounts that will work with delrin tubes and so does ClassiCutCustoms. I had the Dlux servo mounts on my old axles but the new axles have ClassiCutCustoms servo mount. I like the CCC servo mount better, it has four bolt holes instead of three and the underside of the mount has a channel cut into it, so you can round the bottom of the servo mount some so that it fits on the tube better. Instead of having a flat mount on a round tube.

They are both good mounts, it just depends on what you want. Both are like $10 or $15 each I think. If your going to spend the money on the tubes might as well just get servo mounts too instead of trying to rig something up that in the end you are not going to be happy with.
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #69
RCC Addict

If your going to get Dlux delrin tubes then get HIS servo mount. It has 5 screws that go into the tube not 3. With delrin tubes on a super you want all the screws for the servo mount you can get. The old Dlux servo mounts for the 2.2 Al tubes had 3 but all mounts for delrin have 5.

Last edited by stubs179; 05-18-2014 at 07:38 PM.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

So I already bought a servo holder from Dlux, I wanted to graft it onto my current set up to utilize a servo strengthener. This weekend my number one goal was to get the axle shaved down enough to get the servo mounted vertically but, the weather was too nice on Saturday to hang out inside. Then Sunday my street rod was calling me names, and was begging for a tune up. All of the yard work, and truck work gave me pleanty of thinking time, and I am going to just stand by and collect up a couple pennies to buy a set of Delrin axle tubes. The weight savings are a good factor, then also the fact that I can utilize AX10 'clockable' parts, as well as the ability to mount the servo without hacking up a perfectly good axle. So I suppose for now, it'll be waiting for my wheels and tires (might ship today) and save up pennies for tubes and chubs... I guess in the mean time I can make a set of panels.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:12 PM   #71
Quarry Creeper

I don't how many folks are following this build but I just got some GOOD news. My new wheels and tires are going to be shipping tomorrow potentially. They are 7 3/4" tall, and SUPER light weight. Hittman weighed them for me and said all 4 tires w/o hubs or hardware came in at 1 lb 12 oz. That literally blew me away, just ONE of my stupid tires weight 1 lb. 18 oz, oh boy this rig is going to be an entirely new machine. I also bought a pair of BRXL's to run. For some damn reason I don't trust the FXR's because I feel they are doing some funny stuff and don't like it. So, Go Holmes or Go Home. I'll have all the power I'll ever need now!

Anybody recommend a good smasher?? I have 2 Holmes Hobbies BRXL's and 2 CC BEC's that need smushed!
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

If you search youtube for smashed sidewinder micro and watch the video you can probably smash the Holmes the same way. That's how I did mine but I have the BR mini.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:39 PM   #73
Quarry Creeper

I took the outer case off one of the esc's last night, and realized that there will be no smashing with them. The entire esc's is a block of epoxy. So there is no way of making them smaller. No biggie, I'm gonna slap that chit in anyhow. My tires will be here tomorrow, so I'll be off and running FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Yeah that would really suck. I would just take the cases off of them to save a few grams of weight and just glue or tape them together and call of a day.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #75
Quarry Creeper

That's exactly what I did

Old 05-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

Wheels and tires finally showed up!! I must say the wait was definitely worth while, these tires are awesome and super light weight. All four of the new tires with hardware and hubs way less than one of my old tires. A big thanks to Hittman!

Old 05-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

A couple close ups of the wheel and tire setup...

Old 05-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #78
Quarry Creeper

So I guess it's as good a time as any to go ahead and install the BR-XL's in get this thing back on the rocks!!!! Out with the old, in with the new. The BR-XL'S are a damn tight fit.

Old 05-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

I am glad you like them. They were definitely trickier than I thought they would be. Hopefully they work good for you
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:29 AM   #80
Quarry Creeper

So far so good man, I am super impressed. Are you ready to make another set for me? :-)

I've gotten some drive time in but not much yet, and they are working very well. Now with the BR-XL'S and the lightweight tires I FINALLY have excellent drag brakes. The new tires and ESC's really woke this thing up.

From WILD to Kinda Mild Super Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Super Class Build...kinda... SVEN Chit Chat 10 10-05-2011 10:18 PM
kinda cool wild bald eagle nest live stream vid of eggs hatching SoCo Crawlgirl Chit Chat 8 04-01-2011 05:11 PM
Class 3 2dr JK mild with a hint of wild solomon7 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 03-22-2011 03:15 PM
C.C. mods mild to wild leon Duratrax Cliff Climber 13 04-22-2009 08:51 PM
Stock Clod Can (from mild to wild!) insanerc Videos! 5 10-15-2006 08:59 AM