Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Chaotic Super Switch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2014, 11:20 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Default Re: Chaotic Super Switch

Those CB 20's are crazy strong take care with you tools while you work around them.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2014, 11:44 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curcal View Post
Those CB 20's are crazy strong take care with you tools while you work around them.
Yeah, from what I can tell from what I have tea and videos I have seen they are nuts. I can't wait to get them in the rig
tweak6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

The new motors came in on Friday, I was able to get them in today. The magnets in these things are crazy strong, they kept trying to pull the tools out of the screws on the case when I was putting them in. The weight of the new motors are 7.22 ounces each, where as the motors that where in before were only 5.96 ounces each. But with the new motors I have a feeling that extra weight is going to be well worth it with the power these motors should make. At this time I have yet to run the truck at all, I am waiting for a battery to charge as I am posting this. Once the charge is done I will run it and see how it does.
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2014, 07:15 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

I was able to run it a little bit, it runs good has a lot more power. But the front motor kicks in before the rear motor even when running the motors with the wheels off the ground. I think this problem is just the throttle dead band is set different between the two esc.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Looking good. You should take full advantage of those wheels and get some weight hangers that fit the profile of them things so that weight can get hung real low.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:38 PM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Looking good. You should take full advantage of those wheels and get some weight hangers that fit the profile of them things so that weight can get hung real low.
I was thinking about that the other day. I was thinking of making a brass holder that placed the weights about and inch of so lower than what it is now.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Had time to get the super out on some rocks today. This thing runs like a beast.

Two things I noticed though that will have to be addressed.

First the front steering link likes to get hung up on things get pushed/turned down lower than it was to start. So I will either have to figure out a different way to mount the one I have or make a new high clearance link.

Second the weight, The rear feels a little light so I think there needs to be a little weight added to the rear. But at the same time I think I could get away with having more weight on the front too, but if I add weight to the front and rear it might just act the same way so not very sure what I am going to end up doing about this.
Attached Images

Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

You can see in picture 4 and 5 of the post above how the front steering link ends up turning down.
Old 08-29-2014, 12:04 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Mount the tie rod on top of the carbon arms. That might prevent some of the down turn.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Yup
You definitely need to redo that front link to the top side
Attachment 293419

Last edited by Tom G; 08-29-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Tom G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to try on top and see how that works. The only reason it is on the bottom is to act as the steering stop. If putting it on top don't work in going to try something like this.
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Switched up the sway bar today, it feels much smoother that it did before.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 04:54 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Took the super out for testing today.

I found out that I don't really like the way the truck handles with the sway bar on it. Felt to stiff and seemed to want to roll over too easy.

Second thing was that I need to limit the amount of travel the shocks have. There is way to much articulation in this truck. I might give the sway bar a second go around after I fix the shocks.

The last thing for today was a snapped the front dlux axle. I got the truck in a bind, gave jt I guess to much throttle and the truck came out but snapped an axle.
Attached Images

Old 09-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

That's no good.

Out of curiosity, is this the one you straightened?
If so I wonder if iit cracked it.
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

I honestly can't totally remember. I want to say yes it is the one that I straightened.

Once I get the axles taken all apart I should have a better idea why they failed. Way it is seeming the weld used to connect the shaft to the tang for the locker failed. That is where it seemed to break off.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #96
Rock Crawler

Heat effected zone.

From the welding the grain structure changes, makes them a bit more brittle.
I made my own shafts, same as these, extended and welded. I used chromoly ends and welded then machined them. I also use the shaft from my bully's and welded them to the omfa shafts.
First drive that one broke, the material was intresting to weld. I pulled the ones that I used chromo out and put in a vice, with a little work it snapped.
After that I made my own 1 piece shafts and there going fine. Just alittle wear in the holes.

Have a look at the wraith long side shaft, the ofna stub and cube fit into them, the standard wraith flat is slightly thicker so it should fit into the berg locker with a little work. This would also remove the welded area of the shafts
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:03 AM   #97
I wanna be Dave

You could shoot Barry a PM at CCC and see what can be done as well.
He gets full shafts tig welded onto the universal, not just the tang.
I have been whoopin on mine in my 2.2p for a few months now without issue..
Can't wait to see how they hold up in a super!
It's my next project and only 2x long tubes and gear sets away from rolling axles..
Stoked to get in on the supah class!!!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #98
Wanna get? Gotta want.

With a tire that is substantially bigger than a standard super tire, your entire car will be pushed to its limits.

I can upgrade the shafts to more of a heavy duty version and that broken one can also be fixed. Thats one of the best parts of these shafts.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:07 PM   #99
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Also, not sure if you took them off in that pic but I am not seeing steering stops. They are an absolute must. If you take that shaft past its limit of 70*, which is pretty easy to do on a super, any shaft will break.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

The way I have the steering stops set up is with the knuckle weights. The one bolt head hits the shock/link mount the limit the steering on the back side. Then on the front side the link ends touch the tubes and limit the steering. I couldn't get holes drilled and tapped for steering stops on the knuckles themselves, I kept breaking taps so I said f@$k it and did the steering stops a different way.

I agree with the size of the wheel and tire everything is going to be pushed to the limit. But where is the fun in playing it safe.

Chaotic Super Switch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Chaotic Super Switch Bodiless Carbon Chassis Chaotic Crawlers Superclass Crawlers 18 08-05-2016 04:24 PM
chaotic switch xr10 sfpumps Videos! 2 06-25-2012 05:53 AM