Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Dravpnir tries to build something Super big

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #1
DravTech

Default Dravpnir tries to build something Super big

Had a itch to build a super for a while but never got around to it. But lately this has changed

First parts to arrive is some super Berg axles I traded from Zarizi Tech. It is Diamond D's old axles I think. The plan is to get the super version of Dlux Superlite axles, but until the funds are in place for those, this will get me started.

Striped the axles and cleaned them. Put in some new RCBros lockers, bearings and changed two pins in the SDS Super 300 CVD's.
One of the CVD's had some binding so I picked it part and noticed that the pin was in two pieces. Checked the other three CVD's and another one had a broken pin too. That CVD had no binding and felt just like the other 2 whole ones...

I exchanged the 8* chubs to some non 8* chubs.

The motors I have stolen from my 2.2 Berg. I think they might be better in a super with their cobalt magnets. The arms are 30T HHK-ST so they might be a bit fast but hopefully the torque will be enough anyways.

That is as far as I have gotten so far. Waiting on a packaged from Dlux, some printed parts, CF parts for the chassis and 2 pairs of Sedonas. This build will be a slow build but luckily I got plenty of time before I have to have it RTR
Dravpnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2015, 07:29 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dravpnir tries to build something Super big

Yup those would be my old axles. Glad to see you putting something together. If I remember right I think only the front end has the sds gears and the rear either has one small sds or both are stock. Not totally sure on that one. Also the I do remember going through axle pins. The inner 300 shafts are a bit worn in the slots and I believe that's why I was going through them a bit. If you turn your steering down you may be better off for a while. Or at least till you get your dlux axles your looking to get.

Looking forward to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will be really nice whatever it is.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:11 PM   #3
DravTech

Thanks

I am sure that the shafts will get me started atleast. If not I can always drill them up and replace some parts with slightly bigger ones to remove the worn areas.
I think it was 2 small SDS gears in the front and 1 in the rear.

The package from Dlux arrived yesterday

Some big ass wheels with foams, a sway bar and some knuckle arms. As I run Dlux Spoked Wheel design on my mini, Berg and Sporty I just had to have the same design for the Super too. So I enlarged it and sent the drawing to Dlux for him to do his magic.

The foam is a CI Super Nova Outer foam

Old 01-06-2015, 10:30 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

im glad to see more people going with 6 inch wheels run of the mill stuff is lame
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
im glad to see more people going with 6 inch wheels run of the mill stuff is lame
Sometimes size matters

Finally got some updates to show. I have assembled my copy of the Super SuDu chassis I showed pictures of yesterday in Zarizi Tech's thread.
Hopefully soon they will have company of a blue version of the chassis too

With aluminum hardware the chassis weight about 112 g.

Shown with the Berg super axles and a wheel base of 17.5"

I have tried to put in some new ideas in this chassis. The lower links are mounted in the skid at an angle to reduce the risk of binding of the rod ends.

But the biggest part is the new cross spacers. They are 3D printed and mostly hollow. To keep the stiffness hexagonal aluminum spacers are put inside the printed parts. The hexagonal shape do not allow the printed part to twist around the aluminum spacer.

Due to that the printed cross spacer is hollow it do not weight much.

With the aluminum spacers added

A close up on the hexagonal holes in the cross spacers. Just got to love additive manufacturing

The hexagonal aluminum spacers goes in with a little bit of resistance. Nice and snug.

The Super SuDu also got a build in mount for the Dlux Sway Bar

I also received my knuckle weight holders and parts of the knuckles. With permission from Dlux I drew up his knuckles and printed them. The holes for the bearings got to small, but as I will not make anymore and I will only use these until I can buy the Super superlite's I will just drill up the bearing slots so the bearings fit.
The reason for the large holes are that I will use brass inserts.

The knuckle weight holders are also 3D printed. They are made for some cemented carbide cylinders that I have at home.

Fully loaded they add 230 g per knuckle.

They mount to the knuckle like this. I probably will have to use more than one screw to secure it to the knuckle.

Lot of weight down low but still got plenty of clearance in the wheel

Last edited by Dravpnir; 01-15-2015 at 03:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Very nice design work you have there sir.
Excited to see what you come up with next. Just curious whats the length between the front and rear link mount holes?
Also I dig the angled skid thats a great idea.
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
RCC Addict

This is a masterpiece!

So many new brilliant ideas utilizing 3D-printing.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 AM   #8
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
Very nice design work you have there sir.
Excited to see what you come up with next. Just curious whats the length between the front and rear link mount holes?
Also I dig the angled skid thats a great idea.
Thanks

I guess you mean the lower links? Between those it is about 3.4". When I started to draw this chassis I made the skid shorter, but then I talked to Samu and he wanted a longer skid.
Hittman has mentioned that he would like a shorter skid. Right now I would like to test the chassis out a bit to see if there is anything other that needs to be changed before next revision, but perhaps I will make a short skid version too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
This is a masterpiece!

So many new brilliant ideas utilizing 3D-printing.
Thanks Tomi
Old 01-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Very nice design!!! I see myself ordering one of these sooner than later for my super build! Myself think a shorter skid would be the way to go but what do I know!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:57 PM   #10
5th D Owner/Driver

Very cool stuff you've been making, I'm also getting an itch to pick up one of these chassis'.
cboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
Ty
Quarry Creeper

Very nice!! What would it take to get the cross brace made for a different chassis? Like a super juice. Great work! Ty.
Ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

This rig is looking too clean. Congrats. Keep the good stuff coming. Amazing what 3D printers can do. Angled link mounts on the skid is a very nice touch.
KingGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:45 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Tobias... You're the best. Hope we can do some nice things when my new laptop is here... You know my ideas already..
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Very nice design!!! I see myself ordering one of these sooner than later for my super build! Myself think a shorter skid would be the way to go but what do I know!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cboggs View Post
Very cool stuff you've been making, I'm also getting an itch to pick up one of these chassis'.
Thanks for the interest guys! I will let you know if/when I feel comfortable to start selling this chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty View Post
Very nice!! What would it take to get the cross brace made for a different chassis? Like a super juice. Great work! Ty.
It would take for me to know the width of the spacers between the chassis and the distance between the spacers, and more time... got to many projects going on at the same time atm to be able to do off jobs I am sorry to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGee View Post
This rig is looking too clean. Congrats. Keep the good stuff coming. Amazing what 3D printers can do. Angled link mounts on the skid is a very nice touch.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by douwe View Post
Tobias... You're the best. Hope we can do some nice things when my new laptop is here... You know my ideas already..
Thanks Douwe
Yeah, get out of the couch and go to the computer store
Old 01-24-2015, 04:03 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

you are the best!!!
I love my sudu,,,
I`ve taken the crawling to the next level with the dlux superlites and youre sudu pro chassis.
KEEP THE INNOVATION GOING!!!!!!
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #16
DravTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOKI-81 View Post
you are the best!!!
I love my sudu,,,
I`ve taken the crawling to the next level with the dlux superlites and youre sudu pro chassis.
KEEP THE INNOVATION GOING!!!!!!
Thanks

Got some lower links from Dlux today and got a little more work done on the crawler. I found some old upper links and stole some shocks from another rig to get a feeling how it will look like when it is finished.

I like what I see but lot of work still remains... the 2xlong axle tubes really makes things much harder to setup. I think I will make some new tubes and shafts for it. 1 long and one shorter like on the 2.2 Berg.

I have also started to cut and shut some tires. 2 done and two more to come.

About 8oz is the maximum I can add per knuckle. Nice and low

Old 02-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #17
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Interesting. What are you finding is harder to setup with the longer tubes? If anything, I think its much easier.

Car looks great! Cant wait to see it finished.

Edit:

Never mind, youre working on an axle with 2 standard long tubes right now, right? I thought you meant something else.

Last edited by Erik D_lux; 02-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:32 AM   #18
DravTech

Yes, I meant 2 standard long tubes so the gearbox is in the middle. I had to put on the front lower links backwards to get them not to bind and grind off a bit on the servo mount for the right shock to clear.

Luckily I got 3-4 foot of delrin rod at home and access to a lathe again
Old 02-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

This rig is beautiful. A nice mix of technology meets art! I am looking forward to seeing it complete,
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:13 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Man that is one sexy beast you got there Tobias.
And those rims just set it off, definitely going to have to get a set of those, in orange of course LOL
Mine should be here today

How the links look and feel so far?
chevotafun is offline   Reply With Quote

Dravpnir tries to build something Super big - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dravpnir tries to build something Berg-ish from the scrap box Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 20 03-04-2015 08:01 AM
Dravpnir tries to build something all weather fun Dravpnir G-Made Crawlers 27 02-04-2015 07:30 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something small Dravpnir Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 221 11-10-2014 02:28 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something even lighter Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 88 08-03-2014 02:58 PM
Dravpnir tries to build something light Dravpnir EnRoute Berg 125 04-23-2014 06:01 AM