Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: My Mad Torque

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default My Mad Torque

i bought a Mad Torque about a year ago with the plan to use the transmissions for a super build and this is what has turned out so far.

i needed tires and wheels first so i narrowed a set of Axial 40 series beadlocks and made a set of rovers to put on them.

now the work began. i designed the steering around vp 8 degree c-hubs with STRC wraith knuckles and axial wraith long side universals. i sleeved the universals to fit the mad torque locker and made custom top hat bushings to align everything.

i bought a set of Blue Monkey knuckle weights for stock xr10 knuckles and modified them to fit the STRC knuckles and added the outer ring for more adjustability. the steering arm was changed so it would clear the c-hub for a little more steering.

i was going to use hitec 7980 servos but went with Holmes Hobbies instead to save a few bucks. so far i'm very happy with these servos. i mounted the servo the other direction but had to redesign and change it's direction for link clearance.

a couple from underneath.

i made a chassis for the mad torque before the build began based on some measurements from other supers and it wouldn't work with the new axles. i changed the length and link mounts and added a topper to it and it seems to work pretty good.

i'm having trouble snapping the 12 tooth gear shaft and am lucky if it runs for five minutes with out breaking. i modified a gear with my own shaft and it didn't last much longer. i redesigned it again, and today burned up 2 batteries with no issues. if this doesn't work i'll have to find some berg gears and space the trans cases to accept them.

i'm hoping to get a chance to run some gates and laugh at myself on a few courses at Nats. rear steer and i are a comedy.
sumquak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 08:45 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My Mad Torque

Once you get some good stick time without breaking it itll come to you. See Ya Tuesday!
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

i've been fixing and modifying things for the last year.

I kept breaking the middle gear shaft so to fix the problem i'm boring out the small gear and soldering it to a new shaft and this seems to have fixed the problem.

My biggest issue has been the axles. i've tried sleeving them 3 different ways to fit the mad torque locker with no luck so i decided to make a locker to fit the AR60 tang. i should have done this a year ago.

While it was down i also turned down the axle tubes and replaced the Holmes servos with 7980's which meant new servo mounts. i went through 3 hv400's before giving up on them. i plugged 2 servo mount holes i didn't need also.

I'm happy with the way it drives when it stays together. i think the new lockers will help.
sumquak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:55 PM   #4

Did you make the axle tubes ? If not were did they come from .
TOMMY RAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

These are completely custom axle tubes and lockers.
Curcal is offline   Reply With Quote

My Mad Torque - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Mad Torque XtrmTJ Superclass Crawlers 22 12-29-2011 07:32 PM
Mad torque macz General Crawlers 6 12-29-2011 07:23 PM