Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Crazy axles idea design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Crazy axles idea design

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
wow... that's probably going to be one of the lightest supers on the planet.

I bet.. as it sits in the last picture it doesn't weigh more than 1.5 lb.
It is a Super remember so it is quite big and heavy and didn't focus to save weight during the design. I will be happy if it ends under 3Kg. (6.6 lb.)
On next reviews to the design will focus more on weight savings.
gonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2018, 04:48 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

First major assembly, still missing motors and electronics. As well I want to cut some pins from the tires, and need to find appropriate foam inners.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:05 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonper View Post
First major assembly
HOLY TURNING ANGLE!!!! I knew it was going to be high from the CAD, but jeez. At this point, it's no longer turning radius, it's the turning position.
Gandalf The White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:40 AM   #104
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf The White View Post
HOLY TURNING ANGLE!!!! I knew it was going to be high from the CAD, but jeez. At this point, it's no longer turning radius, it's the turning position.
With the servos and radio I got, I will not be able to get that maximum turning angles: over +70º to -70º (more than 140º in total). The servos are able to get up to 180º but my radio can not send full signal 2.5ms to 0.5ms pulses (most TX can't), But I can get very close to that provably around +60º to -60º programing the maximum servo travel on the TX.
Now that I know that radio do not send full signal (thank you to Hydrocarbon92 that let me knew so) next time will order 270º servos so will be able to get it all...

Old 05-21-2018, 01:58 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

I hope you can get that steering angle to work.
That would be amazing

Keep up the good work
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:33 PM   #106

Could you ever rotate the car around its center axis (z axis)? Would that take 4 ESC? Or could you mix on your remote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12earth View Post
Could you ever rotate the car around its center axis (z axis)? Would that take 4 ESC? Or could you mix on your remote?
Well it is got 1 motor, 1 ESC and 1 Servo on each wheel so lets say that everything is possible.
But right now wheels on front axle and wheels on rear axle are joined by a steering link so both servos on each front or rear axle work in parallel. I added that steering link because of 2 reasons:
- 2 cheap 20Kg servos working together gives a force of 40Kg on each axel with is great and all force of the 2 servos can go to only one wheel if necessary throw the steering link. Without the steering link it will be needed at least around 30Kg+ servos that are usually far more expensive.
- Without the steering link it will be possible to steer each wheel on an axle on any either direction and make the car turn on its central Z axis but that will require that 2 wheels will turn in reverse and it is possible as we have 4 ESC, but this rig is intended to be on competition, and on competition I do not know how that maneuver will be considered, half reverse penalty

Last edited by gonper; 05-23-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 AM   #108
Pebble Pounder

I am away traveling due work matters, so there is not much I can do on the car itself.
So I used this time out of the workshop to put all the CAD files in order and create a thingiverse project.
From now it is open source (License: CC BY-SA 3.0)

- You can access to the CAD files of this project here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/27...1cbb92cec77030
- You can see the design just clicking on the link.
- You need and Onshape account (it is free) in order to be able to copy, modify, export, etc. the design.
- The CAD file will change and improve as time passes, it is more tested and ideas from others are added to the design.

Here is the link to the Thingiverse project where you can download all 3Dprintable parts directly on STL and where I will upload assembly instructions and other relevant info: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924761

Last edited by gonper; 05-24-2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #109
Yashua

You have my attention.
I'm printing gearboxes as I write this .
CREEPERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 PM   #110
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREEPERBOB View Post
You have my attention.
I'm printing gearboxes as I write this .
Do you mean the gear boxes of this project?
Old 05-29-2018, 01:38 PM   #111
Yashua

Quote:
Do you mean the gear boxes of this project?

Yes sir, something I need to know
Old 05-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes sir, something I need to know
Holy cow
You are very brave, I still have not put this rig on its wheels and you want to make one.
Anyway I really appreciate your consideration, your projects have been very inspirational for me, I will truly consider any suggestion you may have about what you see on it.
Please post pictures.
If you have any trouble printing it let me know.

I want to make the firsts runs with it this weekend, I am sure there is going to be manny flaws that need to be redesign and tested...
Old 05-29-2018, 02:47 PM   #113
Yashua

I'm always open for a challenge , I'm printing out of PLA at 100% infill for testing.
You weren't kidding they are "huge" once they are printed. It's been a while since I've ran my super.
These are too awesome to not print.

Do you have,a link to the exact gears and motors your running your tests on?

Quote:
Holy cow
You are very brave, I still have not put this rig on its wheels and you want to make one.
Anyway I really appreciate your consideration, your projects have been very inspirational for me, I will truly consider any suggestion you may have about what you see on it.
Please post pictures.
If you have any trouble printing it let me know.

I want to make the firsts runs with it this weekend, I am sure there is going to be manny flaws that need to be redesign and tested...

Last edited by CREEPERBOB; 05-29-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:30 AM   #114
Pebble Pounder

I updated the thingiverse project including links to most parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924761
But I have detected that those worm gears are provably not the most adequate because they are to big (modulus M1) so they have too much friction. Anyway as they are already installed I will test the rig with them and try to discover any other issues then will order different ones and redesign for the new ones provably M0.7 or M0.5
Old 05-30-2018, 07:19 AM   #115
Yashua

Quote:
I updated the thingiverse project including links to most parts: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2924761
But I have detected that those worm gears are provably not the most adequate because they are to big (modulus M1) so they have too much friction. Anyway as they are already installed I will test the rig with them and try to discover any other issues then will order different ones and redesign for the new ones provably M0.7 or M0.5

Great, I'll look forward to your updates from your testing.
We had severe thunderstorms come through last night and a lightning strike took our power out so I lost gearbox print parts at 9 hours .
So new gears will require new gearboxes I m guessing?
Old 05-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

I might be able to help you out on the foams. I have a ton of short course foams I might be able to remove from some rims and tires.

also a note on the gearboxes... you were trying to go for a 40:1 ratio right? I wonder if something could be made from losi worm gears and a small enough gearbox using some pinion gears, shafts and bearings.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM   #117
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Great, I'll look forward to your updates from your testing.
We had severe thunderstorms come through last night and a lightning strike took our power out so I lost gearbox print parts at 9 hours .
So new gears will require new gearboxes I m guessing?
That is a pain in the ass...
Yes, if gears are changed the gearboxes will have to be adjusted to the new gears, not big changes but enough to make them not compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
I might be able to help you out on the foams. I have a ton of short course foams I might be able to remove from some rims and tires.

also a note on the gearboxes... you were trying to go for a 40:1 ratio right? I wonder if something could be made from losi worm gears and a small enough gearbox using some pinion gears, shafts and bearings.
Thank you very much for the offer, really appreciated As I have not much idea what foams could be good or bad.
Now I installed cheap tires that I found on Aliexpress and decided to use the foams that they come with. I believe they are 1/8 racing off road scale.
I did it that way because i never cut and shut tires before so did not wanted to ruin good tires, will do tests with this ones and latter will order good tires and print the necessary rims for them.
Any suggestion will be really welcome.

About the gear boxes now it is 30:1 but the problem it is not the ratio it is actually the size of them (M1), i decided to use that size because I want them to last long and not break, but they are too much and I think speed will be a bit high. Tests will tell...
So if they do not work well I plan to use 60:1 or 50:1 on M0.5 that will reduce friction, weight and speed.

Last edited by gonper; 05-30-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:41 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

oh, dialed-rc has tons off 1/8 tires and foams to pick from and most are at a good price. they do a lot of deals.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 PM   #119
Pebble Pounder

Motors arrived some days ago.
They have been run in, condensers and leads soldered and cans decorated

Now I can start the final assembly, Yehaaaa

Old 06-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #120
Pebble Pounder

Just awesome!
I saw your post on Pro Shafty & MOA Group.

VIDEOS please!!!
Rock Stoneman is offline   Reply With Quote

Crazy axles idea design - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crazy idea? nahuebsch82 Axial Wraith 18 03-23-2015 12:15 PM
My Crazy Idea.... Nootch Tires and Wheels 9 11-07-2009 12:00 AM
Another crazy idea of mine BJoe Paint and Body 7 01-11-2008 01:50 AM
crazy idea clodman666 Chit Chat 13 09-27-2006 12:26 AM
crazy idea reedpowell33 General Crawlers 3 12-15-2004 09:59 PM