Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers

Notices

Thread: About sticks or wheel TX for Superclass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2018, 04:41 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default About sticks or wheel TX for Superclass

I am planing to build a Superclass and I do not know what will be the best type of TX to use a wheel one or sticks one.

I mostly have used stick ones because helicopters is the most I have piloted, but I understand that wheel ones may be more suited for RC cars as they can be more intuitive and the software is more suited for RC cars.
But on the other hand a Superclass is not a normal RC car as it is got two steering axles and 2 power plants that have to be controlled independently, so I think that a wheel TX may not be enough to handle it properly.

Can you let me know your setups and how you program them?
gonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: About sticks or wheel TX for Superclass

I started crawling with a stick radio, have run pistol and stick.

I currently use my 2.2 stuff and scale stuff on pistol. However my super still runs stick.
As you said, stick runs all the functions independently, which is good as well as being able to mix.

Having a super and being able to control it all independently is a learning curve, but totally worth it.

I use a mode 2 radio. Thr/rud is on left stick, aile/ele is on right stick.
I use front motor as throttle,front steer on rudder. I run the same on the right stick, elevator is rear motor and alieron is rear steer
Then mix my channels for drive and can cycle through it.

The hardest part I find with stick is, there some many different ways to set it up, so may take some trial and error in tour preferred set up
filotr14lsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:34 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thank you for you input Filotr.
I was thinking same set up that you use, just changing rear axle to let stick and front axel to right stick, as I am used to fly/drive on mode 2 and I think it will be more intuitive for me.
Still not sure what direction to apply to the rear steering...
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonper View Post
Thank you for you input Filotr.
I was thinking same set up that you use, just changing rear axle to let stick and front axel to right stick, as I am used to fly/drive on mode 2 and I think it will be more intuitive for me.
Still not sure what direction to apply to the rear steering...
I run my steering the same as the front
Turn right, front edge of the rear Tyre turns right. I know a few guys who have flown helis for years, don’t like how I have my rear steer and have said the would run it opposite just because of what they are used to.

It’s an easy one to fix, all you need to do is reverse the channel and it will be opposite.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I run my steering the same as the front
Turn right, front edge of the rear Tyre turns right. I know a few guys who have flown helis for years, don’t like how I have my rear steer and have said the would run it opposite just because of what they are used to.
They are right , as well I have been flying helis and planes a lot and they go just reverse, so that is why I am not sure what will be the easiest for me...

Well it will be just an issue of testing and see how I feel one way or the other.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #6
RCC Addict

This is how i have been running my stick radio for close to 10 years. I feel it makes the most sense and keeps it as simple as possible.

How-To: Modifying the Futaba 6EX for MOA Crawlers - RCCrawler
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:46 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Thank you Stubs for your input.
I was planing not to use any switch just only the sticks, throttle of each motor on each stick. It is provably a bit difficult to master but after manny years of flying helicopters even with no HH (Head Hold) giros, I think I may be able do so, may be I am wrong.

May be a good idea to start learning with the Superclass with switches and latter change to throttles on the sticks, but this can create bad habits...
Old 01-18-2018, 06:11 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I don't think your car will perform as well when you are controlling the front and rear separately and is going to do some weird things. 80% of the time you will be driving with all both motors engaged together and if your trying to control them separately your just adding a lot of variables for no reason. Any top super driver thats using a stick radio has it set up like the link i provided. There is so much going on when you are driving a super, don't over complicate it more.
stubs179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubs179 View Post
I don't think your car will perform as well when you are controlling the front and rear separately and is going to do some weird things. 80% of the time you will be driving with all both motors engaged together and if your trying to control them separately your just adding a lot of variables for no reason. Any top super driver thats using a stick radio has it set up like the link i provided. There is so much going on when you are driving a super, don't over complicate it more.
Hum, I am sure that you are complete right. Anyway just with research purposes will give a try to the separate throttles idea.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:52 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonper View Post
Hum, I am sure that you are complete right. Anyway just with research purposes will give a try to the separate throttles idea.
When setting up, set up the mixing and have a switch to turn it off,
Leave it off, then when you get frustrated you can always turn it on and carry on driving.

I often try it both ways. There’s so much to think about when running independent throttles, but it is rewarding when your able to do some stuff independently
Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by filotr14lsdude View Post
When setting up, set up the mixing and have a switch to turn it off,
Leave it off, then when you get frustrated you can always turn it on and carry on driving.
GREAT IDEA

About sticks or wheel TX for Superclass - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sticks Or the Wheel 8500lbs Electronics 18 07-23-2007 11:53 AM