Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: paleblues briuser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default paleblues briuser

heres mine , currently doing a resto on it ,both bodies are custom painted ,the Predator is a Testors teal with Hand painted graphics by me , it took about 5 days with letting colors dry between , it is also a Mountaneer body .
The Briuser body is painted in automotive PPG Harlequin blue to purple.
The chassis is a pair of solid rails from a hilux my original rails got twisted truck pulling , the original trans is put away and a custom Engle Engineering pulling trans is in place now , its now retired from pulling , rear gears are to hard to find anymore .
on to the pics

new to me wheels for the resto

and still have to find a complete headlight
paleblue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: paleblues briuser

Wow Blue,

That rig looks heavy duty!

its sad it has to be retired due to scarce parts.
Lobonyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Hey Alex, thanks . Yeah it kinda sucks but the rear gears are gone and in all there wisdom Tamiya changed the re release gears so they wont work . Im thinking about putting Axials under it just to get it back on the track , this pulls like crazy and I dont think the Dingo will ever be the puller this was .
Old 11-27-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
RCC Addict

That sucks of tamiya to do but i guess maybe it was to make an improvement. Makes you wonder how the new gears will do.

Hey i think if putting axial axles under rig means it keeps pulling then go for it. the rig has been heavily modified from the original kit that it only makes sense to use what ever parts you need to keep it running. You've already swapped chassis...i think the idea now is to keep "The Predator" pulling.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

More than likely that is what will happen ,kinda looked for axles last night , but I need to focus on one at a time . There is parts all over , another box came today , I may try and off set the axles this time , making the front wider than the rear , the 1:1 guys and other rc pullers have been doing it for a while now , it makes sense each tire has fresh dirt to dig into .
Old 11-30-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I hear you...focus on one and your work is good.

Focus on a few and it will get messy, confusing, and in my case LOST!

Hey that makes sense...off-set axles. I wouldn't even have thought about that each tire digging in fresh dirt...

I was actually thinking last night about the gear ratio balance your spoke about for pulling when another question popped up...with regards to nitro pullers...do you get higher nitro content fuel to get better pull?
Old 11-30-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Any pictures of the Bruiser in it's former "Puller" state?

I was considering building a Bruiser - Puller using an Axial Wraith front axle and an Axial SCX10 rear axle.
May still do it, but there's no r/c pulling going on in California that I know of.
HOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Alex, as far as fuel yes higher nitro helps , our guys are using a 40 or 45 % mix , most nitros run a 20 or 30% but we only run them for less then a minute and maybe 10 to 20 seconds at full throttle . they are set up kinda lean because they dont run long.

HOSS,
those pics are pretty much how it pulled ,only the hitch and weight bar are missing well and tires . Tires were Tamiya Midnight Pumpkin /Lunchbox , the weught bar and hitch can be seen in the non crawler rc section under paleblues dingo puller thread , they both were transplanted from the bruiser to the dingo . Also your idea of wraith front scx10 rear is the setup Im looking to put under the bruiser. I need to come up with new U-bolts to mount them but I think it will work well .
Old 11-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info.

I've seen a few Bruiser Pulling on line and some have different suspension set-ups, transfer bars , and Dave Engle parts, but it's hard to find any body-off pictures, puller secrets I suppose.

Anyway, I do like seeing vintage Bruisers still pull'n and crawl'n!

I have several original Bruiser, a few hybrid Bruisers, and as of today I ordered a new Bruiser Re-Release from Mark @ TGN Distributing!
Old 12-01-2012, 01:34 AM   #10

Didn't Bruiserbuilder.com have any custom made rear gears? I think I've seen them around somewhere on the web just no sure on what site.

Love the engle tranny!
Bulliehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Ive never tried a nitro percentage higher than 25% and that to me felt like enough power so i never tried anything higher. I guess, like you said, pullers run only a few seconds so a higher content would definitely help.

When i started with nitro's i started with a 5% to 10% mix and felt the change in power as i increased the nitro content. The engine was revving higher and faster. I stayed using a 15% mix. It was a good balance between power & cost per gallon.

One day my wife said "you should compete" so I signed up for a comp at the hobby shop & purchased a 25% mix.

I managed 2nd in the A-main (stadium truck class) running a stock truck with the only change being better tires and lower gearing. The guy who came in first had a monster of an engine that was bored and polished.

It was a good day
Old 12-01-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

HOSS,
Mark is a great guy to deal with and a real nice guy in person , I met Mark a few years ago at IHobby then have seen him the last few years a Hostile hobbies Bajafest, congrats on the new bruiser, do a build thread.
My rear springs are original Hilux and a spot welded at each end so there is no rear spring action and it acts like a locked rear suspension.

Bulliehead,
yes Dave built some cool stuff and heres a little secret , the original tranny was a little different and part of that design is mine , it came together on a napkin one day at his old job, Dave and I have been friends for over 20 years and get together every wed, night . His other business has pretty much killed the rc stuff and he and his girlfriend had a very bad ultra lite plane crash 3 years ago and are still dealing with the injuries . We still pull together and build together when we can . If you are lucky enough to own one of those trannys you have a damn good piece I have never had any problems with mine , never even replaced a bearing and its been in that bruiser for about 15 years .

Lobo ,
do you still compete? is so with the same truck?
When I got into pulling I had spent some time at the local hobby shop watching the different groups of racers , most of them hardly talked to each other , comp secrets I guess . The puller group was a whole different story , talking laughing and joking around, within a week I was into pulling with a brand new super blackfoot , thats what started this damn rc addiction of mine .
As far as the nitro , just think what 40% would be like in your race truck? The engine might live for awhile if you ran it rich enough
Old 12-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Wow Blue...just saw this thread...really nice detail on the paint job...you have much more patience than I do for paint...and obviously a steadier hand
Great job....
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Thanks,

Mark's shop is about 20 minutes from me in Exeter, CA - Exeter Hobbies / TGN Distributing.
Yes, he's great to do business with.
He started the hobby shop and has an awesome indoor clay track!

Think he's running his Baja today, make me sick to think about it while trying to work.

I reall like Dave Engle's parts and contribution to the Pulling community.

I happened upon Ibadjeepbruiser's old "Trekkler" without the body, and bought it from a guy in the Sacramento Area a year ago.
I didn't know it's origination, but I jumped on the purchase due to the "Juggster" transmission in it (similar to an Engle Transmission).
The neon green lower shock mounts gave it away that it was Ibadjeepbruiser's old "Trekkler" when I was researching it's origination.
That transmission though is tempting me to build a Puller out of it.

Hoss
Old 12-01-2012, 11:04 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys heres some better detail picks

Old 12-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #16

Don't want to hijack your thread but I have about 5 old bruisers and if you are looking for a stock rear gear I may be able to help. Also this trans I picked up a while back looks like an Engle but it has a skid on i and is oriented different. Can you tell me anything about it? A different version maybe?

rangerhavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Sweet Bruiser and ill be keeping an eye I this thread. When I get done with some projects, I can start my restoration on my Bruiser.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Thanks , hopefully Ill get to working on mine shortly , Im got to many projects going right now to start the bruiser.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

good start though!
2manyprojects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Was wondering if there is an update. Wish I could get my hands on a eagle tranny or 2.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote

paleblues briuser - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paleblues Dingo puller paleblue46 Non Crawler RC's 105 05-01-2014 06:33 PM
Briuser frame ? hijack General Crawlers 0 02-21-2008 09:08 AM
briuser shock mounts STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER General Scale Talk 5 10-23-2007 10:26 AM