Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: Bruiser as a trail truck ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 PM   #1

Default Bruiser as a trail truck ?

I've been reading a lot on the Bruiser and i think i feel in love with the Mountain Rider.

I haven't found much information from Google searches on the reliability of this truck for doing scale rides. I often go to a mountain with friends and we drive our trucks for hours, typical scale stuff i guess. Nothing extreme. It would definitely see some obstacles and mud. Already have an SCX-10 and a CC-01 and want something different.

Is this truck reliable enough ? I'll probably have a 35 to 55 turn motor on 2s lipos and use the 4wd mode a lot. Will i blow up the transmission every ride ? It can't be that bad, almost everything is metal ?!?

I think the 3 speed would be very fun and i'm seeing lots of potential (and brilliant ideas!) in the many build threads here. Will switch to 1.9 wheels and tires and do other modifications as needed.

I'm a bit of a Tamiya fan and old enough to remember some of the mystique surrounding the original Bruiser.
pfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Bruiser as a trail truck ?

I ve been driving my semi restored vintage bruiser in the Simi Valley trails and it s a blast, especially with the 3 speed tranny. It s a heavy truck but works great on almost any terrain and obstacle that I drive it thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A2ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I am a Bruiser nut. I am currently building a class 1 1.55 bruiser.

The bruiser was designed after a monster truck and not a crawler, but it can be a crawler with mods.

To make it enjoyable i would lock the diffs or add the one way bearings
Upgrade the tires and so on

Friends of mine have rigs with scx10 tranny, bruiser frame, rc4wd axles etc. and really enjoy that setup
redjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:35 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies! I appreciate it very much.

I plan on having 1.9 wheels on my future re-release Bruiser / Mountain Rider. I've seen the rc4wd kit and some wheel adapters on ebay as well. I will lock both diffs, this is a must where i am riding most of the time. Might install the servo up front as well after trying out the stock setup.

I did not hear about the one way bearing thing, is it only on original Bruisers ?

I do not want to upgrade a lot at first except the wheels and tires. I'll end up buying tons of upgrades after a while but i really want to drive it near stock first.

Feel free to share anything or add pics, i really enjoy reading about people's experience with this truck!
pfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

One way bearings are on the front of my re release and the rear is locked.
Front mount servo is a must. Also stay with 2s lipo or less, less power to the gears the better for longevity.
redjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I run what we called a bruiser hybrid, vintage bruiser chassis/body - bruiser leafsprings up front, 4 linked in the rear with tlt axles and a transmission from an old Losi truck

Before the repaint
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote

Bruiser as a trail truck ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
k5 bruiser trail truck... TLTkrawl 2.2 Scale Rigs 13 11-25-2007 08:59 AM