Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: My 1st OG Bruiser project/build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2015, 02:01 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My 1st OG Bruiser project/build

I picked this Bruiser up 6-8 years ago at the hobby shop. It was all there, the 3 speed transmission didn't shift gears or turn. So I sit it aside and was going to make a scale truck out of it with tlt axles and a pede tranny. Then it sat on my shelf for a long time. So I got bored about 6 months ago and started working on it again. I replaced stock bruiser springs off and put high lift springs on to get some lift. Then I took the axles apart and cleaned them up and installed ball bearings too. Here are some pics of how it looked a week ago.

Here is pic of my 1st OG Bruiser next to my re-release Bruiser..

Sent from my 2500HD

Last edited by rocpede; 11-01-2015 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Changing thread name to be correct with build content
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default re: My 1st OG Bruiser project/build

I'm redoing the deck to add more details like inner fenders front and rear. An going to pick up some square styrene, to reinforce all the joints..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 09-30-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I started to clean up the axles and went over board. I lightly sanded them down and then polished them up to an all most mirror finish.. Here is a picture of the front axle housing..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-11-2015, 03:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Did some more polishing last night. I got the rear axle and transmission polished up. Got some parts in the mail and still waiting on the gears to get to replace the damaged ones in the transmission. The frame is at the powder coater and should be done soon so I can start putting all back together.. Here are some pics.

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-11-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Default My 3rd Bruiser project

Here are some pics of the front and rear axle together. I updated the axles with bearings, replaced the lower shock mounts with aluminum, picked up a set of RC4WD HD leaf springs and they will give me about 10mm of lift and updated the lower u-bolt plates with the re-release ones...

Sent from my 2500HD

Last edited by rocpede; 10-11-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Started polishing the JPS rims and adapters. I think I'm going back to the OG bruiser body for this build.. This will be the most polished truck I have ever done.

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-25-2015, 12:54 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I was able to finish rebuilding the OG Bruiser 3-speed transmission this weekend. I also picked up RC4WD 540 motor conversion kit. Everything is turning smoothly and freely, plus shift through all the gears..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I got the frame back from the powder coater yesterday on my way to work. The pictures don't do it justice.. It came out really nice looking.. The main frame rail and rear bumper bracket is gloss black and the cross members are down in gun metal gray.. Guess I'm getting all my other bruiser frames powder coated now.. Here are some pictures..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-30-2015, 05:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I started assembling the chassis.. Waiting on more parts to come in that I ordered.. Took some pics of the frame outside.. Plus I ran out of screws, need to pick some more up on next pay day..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpede View Post
I started assembling the chassis.. Waiting on more parts to come in that I ordered.. Took some pics of the frame outside.. Plus I ran out of screws, need to pick some more up on next pay day..

Sent from my 2500HD
Powder coat sure is purdy.

I wish I could build one and just leave it be. Mine always find their way to rocks and salt water.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Powder coat sure is purdy.

I wish I could build one and just leave it be. Mine always find their way to rocks and salt water.

Thank you chino63!!

This truck was going to have tlt axles 6-7 years ago.. Then I changed my mind and shelved it.. Then a couple months ago I decided to work on and do a restoration on it and I have a friend that works at powder coating shop and he did the whole frame for a case and half of beer..

This will be along project and I want it to be perfect.. I changed my mind on the body and going to repaint the stock Toyota body and use the Ford F-350 body on another bruiser project I'll be starting as soon as this one is done.. An that one will be used for trail bashing and rock crawling..

Next month I'm sending some parts off to Forrest over at BruiserBuilder to have the tranny case chromed.. Then after the axles will be next and then all the small parts too..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Default My 1st OG Bruiser project/build

I got NIP press metal parts for the OG Bruiser yesterday.. When I got home from work last night.. I started working on installing the axles..

Instead of using the JPS Rims.. I used a set RC4WD 2.2 Beadlock rims made for the bruiser and it makes the width front and rear the same.. An installed a set of 2.2 IMEX G-HAWG Tires..

Here are some pictures:

With the body on and still have to finish sanding, priming and painting the body..

A group shot of my bruisers.. From left to right: Ford F-350 Bruiser, re-release Bruiser and my 1st OG Bruiser.. There are 2 more OG Bruiser and 1 more re-release not in the picture..

Sent from my 2500HD

Last edited by rocpede; 11-03-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My 1st OG Bruiser project/build

Very nice! True scale bead locks are a winning combo to! Keep up the progress love bruisers to!
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:52 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yota trail finder View Post
Very nice! True scale bead locks are a winning combo to! Keep up the progress love bruisers to!

Thank you!! The True Scale Beadlocks are a nice setup for any Bruiser..

Sneak peek at my 2nd OG Bruiser build.. Lightly sanded the frame and polished it up..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 11-27-2015, 12:48 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
looking great! ive got a few to build up and mod also! hehe!

Thank you!! I'll be looking for your post, on your bruisers..

Sine the only thing left on this build, is to paint the body and install the electronics and take it for a test drive. I'm going to to start another build thread on my 2nd OG Bruiser.

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 01-09-2016, 03:49 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Here is a picture of the chrome tranny I picked up, from yota trail finder.. It really fits the truck better then the Black tranny that was in it..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 01-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

very very nice! fully bearing'd and chromed! sweet trans indeed! Enjoy and Cheerish that trans for me! So smooth!
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
very very nice! fully bearing'd and chromed! sweet trans indeed! Enjoy and Cheerish that trans for me! So smooth!

I'm going to enjoy and cherish it it a lot

Sent from my 2500HD

My 1st OG Bruiser project/build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya Bronco Kit Build; 1st Build Boxcarcustoms 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 07-29-2013 07:37 PM
My 1st Project (Mudder/Hillclimber) Troublemaker Non Crawler RC's 99 02-21-2008 10:24 PM
my 1st 2.2 project help needed sleek6mt Tamiya TLT Crawlers 12 03-30-2006 09:03 PM