Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: mountaineer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #1

Default mountaineer

Hello, just got my hands on an original mountaineer without body, but everything else is there. Had a chance to go over the tranny and it is a beautiful piece of artwork, love it. Was going for a scaler look with 1.55 or 1.9's, but then started thinking about the drivetrain because I do actually want to drive this thing. Mild rock crawling and trail, nothing hardcore because it is leaf sprung and I know that in it itself has limitations, but I love the look and realism. Anyway, where do you guys get spur and pinions from to keep these things running? Surely someone runs these. Does Tamiya not supply these items any longer? I know they did a re-release, but it seems like it's not easy finding parts for the new 3 speed either. Do you guys run alternative transfer cases and trannies, if so, which one? Just questions I have as I look at it. I don't want it to be a shelf queen. Thanks.

Last edited by jpmustblaze; 05-09-2016 at 07:26 AM.
jpmustblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default mountaineer

Any pictures? The re-release body will fit or keep an eye out for original body. As for spur gears go there should be some on eBay, that are made out of aluminum and I have them in my OG Bruiser's..

As for the axles to run 1.55 or 1.9 size tires will have to be modified to work. Or you can you the axles from RC4WD to run those sizes.

Sent from my 2500HD

Last edited by rocpede; 05-11-2016 at 12:33 AM.
rocpede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #3

Default Re: mountaineer

Rocpede, I won it off ebay 2 weeks ago. I don't have pics yet, but I will get them soon. I have already bought the axles from RC4WD because I didn't want to modify the originals. Do you run your Bruisers? I want to run mine, but keep all the original bits, so I will not be running the axles or tires or using the electronic boxes. I am going to use a body other than a Bruiser or Mountaineer. How are those aluminum spurs working for you? Is the 3 speed tranny pretty robust for light crawling/trail duty? I have seen the aluminum spurs on ebay, but using those you lose the slipper clutch and no longer have a saftety feature if you get the truck in a bind. Anyway, I am going to front mount the steering servo, but make my own front plate so I don't damage the original as well. As you can tell, I want to be able to return it to original if I want without any extra holes or cuts that should not be there. My plan is to box up the original bits that I don't use and run it as I don't want a shelf queen. I like having something with nostalgia and not something everyone is running.
jpmustblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My Bruiser's are still being built and I'm always changing something on them. When the 1st one is done it will be a runner, I'm not a big fan of shelf queens.. Lol!! I got the steering mounts off eBay and moved the steering servo up under the front of the frame.. There are pictures in my build thread on this site..

Sent from my 2500HD
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Hello jpmustblaze, Rocpede is correct, as a good buddy of mine our knowledge of three speeds and passion for them goes beyond most, we still push to keep the old ones "rolling" LoL!

As far as a Spur gear, ebay seller: Bruiserbuilder he machines a aluminum spur for the original 750 motor bruiser / mountaineer gear box, as far as a pinion, Ebay seller: Kurbdan can make you one if not instock.

Or if you can find a rc4wd 540 motor conversion, it comes with mount spacing plate and correct motor pinion to run off the spur. this leads to a situation though! no front motor support, if your motor "540 size you chose with the conversion" endbell sticks out enough you may get away using the stock 750 motor size front support bracket. I'll have to get you a picture of one of my setups showing how in my case it works out!

anyways! best of luck, ebay search night and day for parts, dont give up! "dont be a loser, build a bruiser!" keep that Hog Heaven going my friend! yes please share pictures of your progress as you continue!

if you have any questions, im sure we on Rcc can help! feel free to Pm me anytime, Im sure rocpede as well wouldnt mind sharing info for these nostalgic tamiyas!

kind regards

michael
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Rc4wd 540 conversion example!
Name:  Image1467602240.812496.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  68.6 KB

Not mine! But found exact same senario where the 750 front support bracket fits end bell of the 540 motor to give support and hold that trans in!
Name:  Image1467602329.529434.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  115.1 KB

Another pic of he conversion being complete!
Name:  Image1467602362.030592.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  90.8 KB

Cheers!

Any questions just ask!

Woot! Hog Heaven! Happy soon to be 4th of July!

Regards

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yota trail finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You can pm me for questions.. Those last couple pictures that yota trail finder posted of the 540 motor conversion kit are from 1Badjeepbruiser from testing back in the day...

Sent from my 2500HD

mountaineer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
>>2007 Mountaineer<< DISTURBIN' tha PEACE 1.9 Scale Rigs 20 12-03-2006 02:52 PM
Mountaineer on Ebay Thorsteenster Chit Chat 17 10-12-2006 06:22 PM
Mountaineer electronics help Scooteracing Chit Chat 5 05-23-2006 06:07 AM
Mountaineer? tjcrawler Newbie General 4 05-18-2006 10:07 AM