Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya Bruiser

Notices

Thread: Just ordered my Bruiser!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Just ordered my Bruiser!!!

I'm so excited. I've waited 32 years to own one of these. I'm 39 now if that says anything. Anyway, I didn't realize that Tamiya had re-released the Bruiser back in 2012 until yesterday. I was perusing Tamiya's website for some nostalgic reason (had a Blackfoot, Hotshot, and Grasshoper back in the day) when I saw the Bruiser.

Then and there, I knew I had to have it. So... did a bit of reading and whipped out the credit card 30 minutes ago. Now just waiting for Tower Hobbies to ship.

Apart from the Bruiser kit, I ordered the RC4WD beadlock wheels and the Tamiya slipper gearset for the transmission.

Right now I only have a 3 channel Spektrum that I use for Losi 5ive-T and my Redcat XB. Can I use the 2 position 3rd channel for the transmission and set it to only shift from 1st to 2nd? I will eventually get another multi-channel radio down the road but was wondering if I can use 3 channels for now?
amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just ordered my Bruiser!!!

Congrats (felt the same way when I got mine) and yes a 2 position switch means only using 2 gears.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Congrats (felt the same way when I got mine) and yes a 2 position switch means only using 2 gears.
Great. I will go that route until I get another radio that has 4 or more channels. I do have an Aurora 9 for my helicopters, but don't want to mess with the left gimbal's spring tension adjustments.

Also, it's been so long since I've painted a hard shelled body like what the Bruiser has. Are all of you guys/gals using air brush guns or can i get away with some high quality Tamiya spray paint?
Old 06-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Just out of curiosity, but what's the difference between the Mountain Rider and the Bruiser to justify the Bruiser's higher price tag?
Old 06-09-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Last question for the night... manual says not to use anything except the included Mabuchi can. If I recall, that's a 27T motor, so basically a good compromise between speed and torque. I do have a Novak Rooster Crawler and Novak 55T brushed motor sitting in one of my parts boxes. Anyone run a 55T in their Bruiser, and if so, was it too slow even in the higher gears? I'm thinking that since the Bruiser is quite heavy for 1/10 model, the 55T motor should be OK to use. I'm not planning on speeding with the truck anyway. Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Bruiser is Blue with rear cab
Mountaineer is red with rear roll bar
same everything else
do the servo relocation mod and it will be sweet
afrofroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I paint my shells with Krylon Fusion paint for durability and cost. Tamiya paints are probably a little better finish-wise since they are made for models.

A 55t would be fine. Tamiya recommends a 27t as the max motor for the transmission, though I suspect it can take more power. Any turns higher then 27 would be fine though. A 55T would give much more scale speeds - might be a little too slow. All depends on how you want to drive it.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 AM   #8

Congrats on the Bruiser! I'm jealous. I've always wanted one.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I paint my shells with Krylon Fusion paint for durability and cost. Tamiya paints are probably a little better finish-wise since they are made for models.

A 55t would be fine. Tamiya recommends a 27t as the max motor for the transmission, though I suspect it can take more power. Any turns higher then 27 would be fine though. A 55T would give much more scale speeds - might be a little too slow. All depends on how you want to drive it.
Thanks for the info. I was worried that perhaps the 55t would be too torquey for the plastic transmission gears, but since I've ordered a slipper clutch, it's probably a moot point.

Now if I can only find a set of Nick Rummy modded axles for 1.9 wheels, I'll be set. There's no way I'm going to hack up my new axles... for now at least.

It's too bad RC4WD doesn't make 1.9 scale Bruiser wheels with the correct offset.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrofroggy View Post
Bruiser is Blue with rear cab
Mountaineer is red with rear roll bar
same everything else
do the servo relocation mod and it will be sweet
Thanks, that's what I thought. I did a comparison between the Bruiser and Mountaineer on Tamiya's website, and it said the Mountaineer didn't come with bearings, just bushings. That's why I thought the Bruiser had a justifiably higher price.

I ordered my Bruiser through Tower yesterday and used a $75 dollar coupon which brought the kit price down to $704.99. The Mountaineer on the other hand was $699.00 without the coupon. Could've saved more money and just bought the half cab down the road. Oh well.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Congrats on the Bruiser! I'm jealous. I've always wanted one.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the build.

BTW, what part of PA are you in? I've got a house up in NEPA with several acres, but spend most of my time in NYC because of work. Suffice it to say, I do most of my RC stuff at the house.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Thanks! I'm looking forward to the build.

BTW, what part of PA are you in? I've got a house up in NEPA with several acres, but spend most of my time in NYC because of work. Suffice it to say, I do most of my RC stuff at the house.
I'm in SEPA. About an hour northwest of Philly.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:18 PM   #13

I didnt want to hack up my axles either so I used gearhead beadlocks. They are adjustable offset and I got the tires to ne up perfectly on the stock axles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
mulies4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:24 PM   #14

Here is another view

Old 06-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulies4ever View Post
I didnt want to hack up my axles either so I used gearhead beadlocks. They are adjustable offset and I got the tires to ne up perfectly on the stock axles.

Those wheels look great! I didn't know wheels with adjustable offset was available for these trucks. Those are still 2.2 sized right? Can you provide me with a link to them? I'm looking at Gear Head's website and can't find the ones with adjustable offset to fit the Bruiser.

Are you using the stock Bruiser hubs or did you convert to 12mm hex?

Last edited by amstel78; 06-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:10 PM   #16

Oh sorry I converting to 12mm with the kit from rc4wd. The beadlocks have several adjustments internally and with different hub sizes you can match the front and rear perfectly. The wheels are 2.2 CAC EZ-loc delrin.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #17

Here are a few pics of the wheel, hubs and the lineup.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

I have a running video on youtube. Check out "old west bruiser."

Old 06-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

My Bruiser kit was delivered today along with some Proline Flatirons and a set of RC4WD Truescale beadlocks for the Bruiser. Question is - how do the RC4WD Bruiser wheels attach to the stock hubs? The original wheels are secured by 3 screws. I don't see how that would work with the RC4WD wheels???

These are the wheels in question: Truescale Series Bruiser Beadlock Wheels

BTW, my kit came with the bonus Tamiya blue/red brush. I thought those were only packed in the first year re-release boxes?
Old 06-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

It's been a few weeks since I ordered my Bruiser, and between kids and work haven't had much time to assemble the kit except for a few hours here and there at night. Well, I finally finished the mechanical portion and am now waiting for the weekend to tackle the body.

I was intending to use my Rooster Crawler ESC and Novak 55t motor but didn't have enough 14awg wire for an extension. So in the meantime, I used an old Axial ESC and the stock motor with supplied extension leads.

As for the battery switch, none of the two ESCs had a Tamiya style switch that would screw into the electronics box top. So, I ended up stuffing a 5 cell receiver battery pack into the box and used a spare RC switch I had laying around.

Btw, is it just me or did the instructions for the slipper clutch seem confusing? It took me an hour to figure out how that thing went into the gearbox.

Some pics:

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Just ordered my Bruiser!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kit Ordered, Parts Ordered, Suggestions??? OkinawaCrawler Tamiya XC/CC01 6 02-21-2014 09:52 AM
TF2 vs Tamiya Bruiser vs RC4wd Bruiser blazerk5 General Crawlers 1 07-13-2012 11:49 PM
tribute to the legendary bruiser/mountaineer RC4WD bruiser el barto 2.2 Scale Rigs 12 11-04-2008 08:12 AM