Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: 1st crawler 1st tuber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Are your links aluminum or steel.If they are steel, you could always braze/weld a mount right to the link.
jagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

nah jagg i made them from 3/8" solid aluminum bar. I guess I could make them from steel? what size in steel 1/4"? does it make that much of a differance except for clerance to have them mounted at the top of the knuckle compared to were they are?
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:41 AM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Just use the 1/4" brake line you used fot the cage and some all-tread for the links. If you wanted to drive the truck a few times with them lower, then switched and raised them up you will notice the difference. I would raise them .
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

jagg, were did you get the mounts you used for the shocks and links?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #25
Rock Crawler

Ok, got everything going and desided to take it for a test drive before takin it all apart to paint and touch a few things up.......Well found out the hard way DO NOT use stanard servos...lol, I was trying to climb the curb and hit it alittle to hard and stripped a servo. I guess it's time for a ANOTHER trip to the hobby store.....lol SHH i aint telling the wife..... I'm using a standard futaba magnum sport radio with standard s148 servos, I'm going to try to find some high torque metal gaer ones to replace them with.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
jagg, were did you get the mounts you used for the shocks and links?
I made them
Old 01-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #27
Rock Crawler

lol I guess I'll have to fab up some for mine, They look good btwThe first set i tried to make were to big i think, First I guess i need to find a servo that will hold up.....lol I'm ganna stay with a 2 channel for now just to work the bugs out then upgrade to a 3 channel for indipendent rear steer. Oh and a goood set of tires....
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Check with Run2jeepn for the Tower pros
Old 01-29-2008, 01:18 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudboger07 View Post
That was my first choice redrustbucket, I looked all over town and couldnt find any.....or anything that would work also I thought if I mounted them at the top of the knuckle they would hit the axle brace when flexing. I made the first lower links from 1/4" but changed them to 3/8 for strength. does it make that much of a defferance of the lower links to be that way?
Looking good As for the cable clamps, you could try radio shack. I bought a bag of them there for like 1.99. came with loads of assortments, also, the links should not hit the axle braces unless you are dropping a really far distance. I have my tuber in a droop setup, and the shock stops the droop of the axle before the link hits the brace. Just my .02 looks good though, I too started my first build with a tuber.
mavicracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

Thanks Mavic, Ive learned so much from this site, I'm used to flying r/c not driving..lol, And Building my 1:1 rail, This is a whole new concept to me..I'll prob raise the links over the weekend to see what the differance is after driving it with them on the bottom of the knuckle that way i might learn something..lol hey you can teach an old dog new tricks...lol, first i have to replace the 2 junk servos i busted....lol when ahead and picted up some high torque bb ones today from the local hobby store who btw has been very helpful in answering questions...
Old 01-31-2008, 07:04 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

3/8 solid aluminum should work really well for your lower links.

The best way to do it is to experiment and change it as you go. Mine evolves constantly.

I've stripped out 2 Hi tec 645 mgs. The gears don't hold up. I switched to 955s with titanium gears and haven't had a problem yet. Only downer is they're twice the price but the way to go as you end up spending the money anyway. You can't use them w/o end point adjustments on your transmitter though due to the 180* of rotation.

Last edited by redrustbucket; 01-31-2008 at 07:27 PM.
redrustbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:54 PM   #32
Rock Crawler

ganna start taking it all apart this weekend, Need to do some touch ups to the frame and paint, i've ran it around witht he links the way they are and desided to move them to above the knuckles, I think that will also help with the ground clearance as it seems to get hung up alittle. Ive still got it wired in series but really contemplating wiring it in parellel, I like the long run times of series but just dont like the clod stall that goes with it, i should have the 9t pinions in by the weekend also. does anyone know the run time if im running in parellel with 45t motors with 9t pinions and a 3000mah battery? the rig is 18" wheel base and around 10lbs
Old 02-06-2008, 01:30 PM   #33

Hey Mudd what shocks are those if you don't mind me asking?And you have done a nice job with your first tuber.
Spydermonkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:36 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

If I remember correctly there duratraxx shocks, I bought them for my pede and desides to use them on the clod since my 2 stage shock kits wouldnt fit. I htink i paid like $15 pair from the LHS. thanks for the compliment. I should have it painted over the weekend. gatta get a new radio (dx6) before trying to enter any comps though.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 AM   #35
Rock Crawler

Well got some new shoes for the super..... Just have to order the adaptors for the spindles....

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Default well my first super tuber is done

Well thanks to all the good info from everyone on here and all the great tech info I have completed the tuber. i am so amazed everytime this thing crawls....... As always though there will always be updates but for now here it is.

Specs:
17 1/2 wb
4 3/4 GC
clod axles stock (locked)
stock pinions 13t (9t on order)
stock clod tires(waiting on 12mm-17mm adaptors for maximizer bead locks and imex red rock crawlers)
integy 45t (rewound to 70t)
Novak rooster crawler esc
split 7 cell ipic 3000mah batteries(4cells front axles 3cells rear axle)
Futaba 6 channel skysport (dx6 on order)

Again thanks for all the info to help build this, something tells me im going to have to build my son (8 years old) a 2.2 since he wants this...lol
vids to come soon......."thumbsup "
Old 02-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

NICE rig. Really like the chassis and color choice. I want to build a super so bad.
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #38
Rock Stacker

Now you just need to figure out something to do with the other 4 channels... lol
canadian_wk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

lol true, One is going to be taken up for a second esc, I want dig so I think im going to go with 2 esc's I cant wait for the adaptors to get here to try the tires........
Old 02-16-2008, 10:49 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

do you think you could put a top view pic of the crawler up. I really like your design. great job
chase3194 is offline   Reply With Quote