Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: Raptor 2 steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Raptor 2 steering?

Hey I got the raptor 2 axles for my NN Chassis crawler and I don't like the looks of the servo mounts they sale does anyone else make a more practical servo mount for these axles or just any good ideas would be nice.

I made a few and they were either to weak or to bulky and didn't quite fit where I wanted them to be.
Speedyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedyboy View Post
Hey I got the raptor 2 axles for my NN Chassis crawler and I don't like the looks of the servo mounts they sale does anyone else make a more practical servo mount for these axles or just any good ideas would be nice.

I made a few and they were either to weak or to bulky and didn't quite fit where I wanted them to be.

I made some pretty stought one's for my raptor1's. The same idea could be used for the raptor2's. Check out post #85. It was held in 3 places and didn't flex at all. the other nice thing was it mounted the servo right on the axle tube, keeping cg low.
H3's Super Class comp build.

Also there are some talking about cutting the bottom off the rc4wd one's and the drilling and tapping the tubes so you don't have the bottom part left to hang up.

I'm going to be building a set soon, I'll be coming up with something then.
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I got one that looks like it will hold up.
I haven't got to try it yet I don't have a radio or the servos that I will be using yet.

Oh and just curios, what motor did you run?
I kinda new to the RC crawling thing.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well I got one that looks like it will hold up.
I haven't got to try it yet I don't have a radio or the servos that I will be using yet.

Oh and just curios, what motor did you run?
I kinda new to the RC crawling thing.
I think they were 55tturn with rc4wd 2:1 gear reductions on front motor, in the rear i ran portals(1.5:1 reduction(i think)).

These Raptor2's I'm building with 85turn with with spacers so I can run a 6tooth pinion.

you have to get creative to deal with the gearing they come with.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I started with these flimsy steel pieces...

Name:  CrawlerHomegrownRaptorStays.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  64.2 KB

These are what I made with a dremel, pliers, and some aluminum from the hardware store...

Name:  StickRaptorstays.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  83.4 KB

Last edited by scaryfast12; 02-27-2008 at 01:54 PM.
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well I got some that I made from some High grade Aircraft aluminum
They're pretty strong, no wabble or flex when steering with a Hitec Robot servo.
And as you can see I used the front one to double as an ESC mount
Attached Images

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Your servo is mounted on the right side, are you getting more steering in one direction than the other??
scaryfast12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaryfast12 View Post
Your servo is mounted on the right side, are you getting more steering in one direction than the other??
With the limits the stronger dogbone axles have I trimmed it in so I'm hitting the max turn the axles can handle so, no I'm not having any trouble turning harder one way than the other... my steering just isn't that sharp, but like I said its at its max it can go both ways without binding up my axles. (To fix turning I'm going to run dig and 4ws on a stick radio)

In fact I'm turning a little to hard and my cups on my outer axles are starting to wollow out(not sure if thats a word)

oh and one question... Does RC4WD sell just the pins or what would a bolt with the head cut off work for that also

Last edited by Speedyboy; 05-05-2008 at 04:24 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-05-2008, 04:28 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
With the limits the stronger dogbone axles have I trimmed it in so I'm hitting the max turn the axles can handle so, no I'm not having any trouble turning harder one way than the other... my steering just isn't that sharp, but like I said its at its max it can go both ways without binding up my axles. (To fix turning I'm going to run dig and 4ws on a stick radio)

In fact I'm turning a little to hard and my cups on my outer axles are starting to wollow out(not sure if thats a word)

oh and one question... Does RC4WD sell just the pins or what would a bolt with the head cut off work for that also

I tried to get some pin's sent but didn't get a reply so i'm assuming they don't offer just the pin's. A good bolt should work.

You can shorten the cup's a little with a dremel. If you do it the right amount you'll gain a little steering. The idea is to trim them back till the pin is just at the end of ear at full turn.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:56 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I have no clue why I didn't think of that... guess its the simple things I tend to overlook.