Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Superclass Crawlers > Tamiya Clod Buster

Notices

Thread: How to Murder a Mantis/Raptor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Congrats on the Blue Star. You've got a pm.
SpyderMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksmith View Post
Ok, its official. I am now a vendor on RCC. If anyone is interested in Ti links or darn near any other part made from Ti. Get hold of me.
At the moment I am out of Ti stock, the response from the first runs were phenominal. I should have close to 200lbs of Ti by the end of week in inventory..........
Congradulations on becoming a vendor.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:44 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

good job rocksmith!! i knew your work would take off!! it looks awesome! and so does the super jason!!
scuzzy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:52 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderMonkee View Post
The Ti links are SWEET! Gonna have to get me some, for sure.

What are the changes between the 1st gen. Raptors and the 2nd Gen?
Check out the links when you stop by on sunday.
From what i can tell....slightly clocked, new link mount design(1 peice) Bigger gear, thicker axle shafts.....Don't see much else but I have yet to tear into them and upgrade the shafts(from cvd version)
H3RESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

Titanium is an awesome material to make things out of. My wedding band is actually Titanium, gotta love it, light, strong, and cheap.
nosduj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:35 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosduj View Post
Titanium is an awesome material to make things out of. My wedding band is actually Titanium, gotta love it, light, strong, and cheap.

Titanium is cheap compared to Platnium....but not steel or alum.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:51 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Sooooo anything else done with the super?

get this build back on track.. He now has a spot to talk chit chat in the vendors section.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:33 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

Got some skid material in today, I've been waiting on my motors. Someone stole my brushes from the RC shop and they had to reorder them Now there on backorder. Once there built and I get them in I'll start mocking the steering, clocking the rear axle, etc.....

So today I went to toys r us and got a couple hard body's for my scale builds I gotta get done by Montana time.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

ive always liked this chassis h3... and rocksmith's links are awesome! ive got some of his R2D bushings.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:55 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Updates needed!!!!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 AM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xFord View Post
Updates needed!!!!
Sorry, it's only been a few day's and I work 12's. I've also had to get my 2.2 ready for the midwest nat's.(blew rearend up at a orcrc comp weekend before last) Then when testing foams this weekend I blew a front cvd...so that had to be replaced sunday night.....I think it's ready to go now.

I did get the updated shafts in the Raptor2's..WOW they put some big bearings in these one's. I did notice the pivot point from shafts to stubs is a little deep, i'm gonna see what I can do to improve this for sharper steering. I'll keep the update's coming....really waiting on motor's. Then it should start coming together.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
Rock Crawler

Been waiting awhile on a couple things. Decided to get one of these mounted up. Recieved them from RC4WD a week ago. I only did one since I need to pick up some stick on weight's tomorrow then I'll drill air hole's add some foam's and get them going.

Damn, these thing's look sick in person.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #33
Rock Crawler

Those are definetly some nice looking rims. Whats the weight on those bad boys? Gonna be startin a super build here real soon myself and those sure do look nice.
Didnt see ya at Lucia falls yesterday either. You missed a brutal comp with a crazy kayaker doin a 20+ foot drop in right where we were having the comp. The entire comp shut down to watch this lunatic.
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #34
Rock Crawler

Got some more mock-up done today. The big thing was steering. I didn't want the big servo mount's bracket's that come for the Raptor's. Like everyone, i didn't like the loss of ground clearance(afterall that's one of Raptor's big benifit's over Clod's) After looking at it for a bit I found a way to mount the steering with 0 fabrication work. I simply used the servo mount's existing hole's to mount it through the upper 4link mount using longer 3m hardware and locknut's for extra security. I then with spacer's was able to support it through the upper 4link mount hole's. I mounted it almost the same in the rear.
I think the picture's give the basic idea.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2008, 12:20 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Looks like it's going to be done soon.
Everything looks so.................. Perfectly placed and shinny
Old 03-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Finally got some wheel weight's.

Put all the weight in wheel's then proceded to do some faom trimming. I used nwtractech dual rates in the front with the outer edge's trimmed to shape tire. In the rear I did the single rate faom's that I also trimmed to conform with tire's.

I really like the look of the wheel's since I bought black allen's for them.

It's finally a ROLLER. More to come...
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Well, I shot off in another direction with this build. I had another set of chassis plate's and was messing around with some empty clod case's I had.
Decided i'm going to 4link the rear and run onroad car shocks(or something) in the rear and try and get about and inch of flex from it. Thought after building a handful of these I was ready to try another route with the chassis plate's. Here's what I came up with. Clod axle's with rc4wd locker's, axle tubes, knuckle's, and 4link mount's. I still need to make the base plate for chassis, get some lower link's for rear, etc, etc.
I am still using the Rocksmith Ti link's in the front. I'll be running the handbros. bta at both end's(nice setup) and 5955 servo's. It should come together pretty quick, just ordered some Sub C's from Maxamps.com and got Gary at 4season's to turn motor's and put some purple brushes in them. Gotta get some speed control's ordered....anyway i'm babbling.

I wanna thank Hua at RC4WD for answering a couple question's and for getting the Clod part's to me quickly
Attached Images

Last edited by H3RESQ; 03-25-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

I like that you are able to change and adapt your chassis, but I like the look of the narrow back better. but like you told me, function over form
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #39
MODERHATER™

Nice job on switching to clod axles Jason, I was just going to move this thread.

In my experience those knuckles are needing work to perform reliably.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Nice job on switching to clod axles Jason, I was just going to move this thread.

In my experience those knuckles are needing work to perform reliably.
The raptor's turn great with the xvd's but couldn't make it happen with the dogbone's....If and when RC4WD get's the xvd's worked out they will be the axle's I run(I hope it happen's cause I love the Raptor's). The clearance, etc. is way above clod...but with a 20inch wheelbase I have to be able to turn.

Anyway, 4linking the rear was short lived. I tried multiple link setup's last night and just wasn't happy. I will stick to the original chassis setup...It worked when I designed it and still does..

So here's the setup back to a torsion in rear and my new knuckle packs that showed up today fromm Maxamps.
Attached Images